12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Got the bunks done for the trailer tonight. We were waiting on getting the right staples, once that happened we got them done and bolted up in about 20 minutes.

This carpet should last a while since it saw little action on the side panels on my Starcraft. Now I need to get a winch strap rigged, install the lights, and put on the license plate.

The boat needs to be re-registered as well, but I can take it out with oars and fish without the stickers on.:cool:

011.JPG

015.JPG

014.JPG

013.JPG

Huron Angler

Admiral

Got the light brackets painted to match the rest of the jalopy trailer, and bolted them on. The bolts are inserted up so as to not hit the tires.

They are old, but you can still get parts for them and they are the simplest to deal with in my opinion. I've had them submerged before and they still work, so that scores points for me.

I know the old name on the back looks goofy and should've been replaced, or eliminated, but this boat was my grandfather's and I wanted to keep the letters for sentimental reasons.

002.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

I'd like to cut this old coupler off and get a new one, not sure the best way to tackle that one. I do not own a sawzall, that's my first idea.:D

005.JPG

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Trailers looking good!

Angle grinder and a drill. Grind the weld at the end away then drill out the welds in the through holes. Those through hole weld might need some grinding to to start and get a good drilling surface. When you get them close a hammer, chisel, and some pent up aggression will help.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think grampa HA would appreciate ya Mike, good on ya buddy;)

I'd like to cut this old coupler off and get a new one, not sure the best way to tackle that one. I do not own a sawzall, that's my first idea.:D

Grinder with a metal cutting wheel would have that cut off in a jiff.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I've had the boat out three times now and no problems:)

I checked for spark on the 5.5hp, I will be ordering a manual and get her running soon enough. The new deep cycle is powering my trusty 30lb thrust Minn Kota for the time being, and that's more than enough.

We had to bring the canoe along to the fishing hole due to capacity issues. Great day out fishing for 8 hours, caught a bunch of bluegill, sunfish and perch while anchored.

My buddy had a sucker on that looked about 30" and it snapped his line near the boat. They don't take worms on a hook very often so that was fun.

021.JPG

Then later on we decided to troll some small rapala's and ended up catching about 30 keeper Black Crappie.:D

011.JPG