12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

No progress has been made recently since I've been on vacation in northern Michigan:D Went to Tahquamenon Falls and hiked 4 miles to the upper falls and been fishing quite a bit :D

I've seen quite a few boats for sale, a 19' Sea Nymph center console with a 90hp Johnson and a 15hp Yamaha kicker:D 6K turnkey with four downriggers. I need to finish this boat, then I can really start looking at a new one to buy and it won't be turnkey since I enjoy the work anyway and like saving $$.

Back to vacation for now...;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

HA good to hear your enjoying the vacation .

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well I have to say that my vacation was extremely productive for the boat project and...well...I had as much fun as possible in 10 days up north without committing multiple felonies:p

This is my trophy Walleye that I pulled out of...you guessed it Lake Huron...she was 4.5lbs and 24" in length...oh yeah she tasted excellent broiled with some almonds and seasoning
DSCF4235.jpg

Notice that a lamprey eel had been feeding near the gill:(
DSCF4234.jpg

I also salvaged some cedar planks and some 7 layer plywood leftover from Huron Sr's hot tub platform project that will work nicely for the bow decking and transom rebuild(yes I am actually going to do some serious work since I've been focused on the interior seating and decking so far):)

At a garage sale I bought $50 worth of anchor cleats for $1.50, a rod/reel for $2 and two PFD cushion and a life jacket for $5:) The guy had just sold his 26' Chriscraft and was unloading all sorts of gear cheap.

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Nice fish, and nice score on the parts:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice fish, and nice score on the parts:D

Thanks, I try to save any $$ to be spent on the outboard for this rig since I can be resourceful and find raw materials as needed. These are the anchor chocks that I found for $1.50:)
9-1230dpchr.jpg

I've always fished for Salmon, Lake Trout and Steelhead since I grew up on the big lake near little traverse bay but I have realized that Walleye fishing is not a bad way to go and we have discovered a great spot close to our property on Lake Huron that's been producing Walleye and Salmon:D:D

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

you guys have catfish up there??? around here its the basic four

catfish

bass

bream

crappie

Huron Angler

Admiral

you guys have catfish up there???

We do have catfish up here, flathead and channel, and also bullhead, which also have barbels/whiskers and dorsal spines that can sting you if handled improperly(I've been there and done that).

In the inland lakes and rivers that I fish we also have Bowfin, aka Dogfish(in Michigan) or Mudfish(down south). They are a 250 million year-old living fossil that can breathe out of water and pretty much bury itself in the mud for as long as needed to survive droughts. Pretty good fighters too.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I have located a sweet-looking black/silver 9.9hp Merc for a reasonable price:D($225 and negotiable) so I am waiting for the seller to get back to me. It is a much smaller version of Rickairmedic's tower of power...I've wanted a silver/black Merc for some time now:cool:

It will be a perfect outboard to repower this boat and I am rebuilding the transom much stronger than the factory so exceeding the HP rating by 2.4 should not be an issue.

Moving the trolling motor to the bow and batttery to the middle hatch will be helpful to balance the weight evenly once I have the gas tank full and motor mounted.

I'm going to be building the bow decking this week and since it's raining all day:mad: it looks like tonight I will be staining, sealing, cutting and building to my heart's content. I've added a fan to my garage since I think I've been killing brain cells inhaling the stain/sealer and I'm not sure how many I've got to spare:p

Attachments

• 9.9merc.jpg
    9.9merc.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 0

Rickairmedic

Commander

HA As I said in our PM thats a purdy little motor . I think it will look great on the back of your Boat . Good to see you had a good vacation now get back to work :D. Seems as though you need to find a Starcraft soon to :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Seems as though you need to find a Starcraft soon too

Way ahead of ya Rick;) I was just trying to decide which one of these beauties I should drag home with me:D:D The 26' would look great in my driveway...I wonder if my landlord agrees?

I would actually be leaning towards the 16' SS(that is an SS right?) since it includes the 50 Merc and just needs new a deck, seats, paint, gluvit, bimini, kicker, bow-mount Minn Kota and a few other tiny details:p

Seriously it is a good deal if that 50 purrs like a kitten, maybe a little bit underpowered though? It seems like I'd be better off with the open bow 16' with an outboard for $1500 than the 15' closed-bow with no motor for $500.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1342914798.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1342910850.html

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I was talking about buying rope lighting and removing the lighting to create a good waterproof flexible tube to keep the wires protected. Not sure though.

My girlfriend said that keeping the lights would be nice too for lighting. I do like some night fishing so long as the beer stays cold and the fish keep biting.;)

HA..
look here..I will be getting some of the blue for under my gunwales..gunnels..whatever they are..

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-lighting

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Way ahead of ya Rick;) I was just trying to decide which one of these beauties I should drag home with me:D:D The 26' would look great in my driveway...I wonder if my landlord agrees?

I would actually be leaning towards the 16' SS(that is an SS right?) since it includes the 50 Merc and just needs new a deck, seats, paint, gluvit, bimini, kicker, bow-mount Minn Kota and a few other tiny details:p

Seriously it is a good deal if that 50 purrs like a kitten, maybe a little bit underpowered though? It seems like I'd be better off with the open bow 16' with an outboard for $1500 than the 15' closed-bow with no motor for $500.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1342914798.html
http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/1342910850.html

The 16' looks like a decent deal and a nice boat. The 26' looks like a possible nightmare and that SeaDrive ain't helping matters.

Huron Angler

Admiral

The 16' looks like a decent deal and a nice boat. The 26' looks like a possible nightmare and that SeaDrive ain't helping matters.

EZ I agree...the SS is on my radar for sure:) I like the length and I'm hoping it will fit in my garage but I would possibly have to modify the trailer tongue so that it swings back to clear my garage door. I'm lucky enough to have a grandfather-in-law that is set up to weld and is extremely knowledgable regarding metal fabrication and trailers:)

As far as the 26' Islander...It looks like a shortshaft outboard that required a lower mount...I'm with ya...kinda scary:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My 16' Jupiter fits in my standard new house sized garage with a little bit of room to spare (though not much).

Huron Angler

Admiral

Just measured the garage after some staining and sealing and it measures a little more than 20'...there are steps by the door but I think the SS would be more practical than using the door as an entrance...that's what side doors are for right?

Well I realized that I left the anchor chocks 4hrs north of here:eek: so that puts a damper on bolting them on and using them for a week or so until Huron Sr. drives down for my oldest son's birthday.

I'm going to finish staining the decking and get to building the bow section in the meantime.

Do you guys think I should be putting some epoxy resin over the seal/stain combo to make sure nothing will absorb water?:confused::confused: Someone suggested that earlier in this thread and I really don't know if it is necessary.

I do enjoy the work since I sit behind a desk all day but I'm not sure I want to redo this every few years:rolleyes:

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

HA,

I like that sweet little merc, and the ss too! That merc will look nice on your AeroCraft:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

HA I agree the SS is the way to go if for no other reason than the 26'er is :eek: fiberglass. I dont know that I would worry to much about resin on your wood since you can take it out to dry I think it will be fine.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm considering using these hinges for the amidships bench seat hatch lid. I still need to get the wood that I will be using for this lid but I think these hinges will be pretty strong and also shine right up and look nice with a little elbow grease.
DSCF4285.jpg

The next three photos are of the interior transom piece that I salvaged from Huron Sr. It is 5/8" and is 11 layers of ply so it should be very strong.
DSCF4282.jpg

This piece of ply is 7" wide whereas the factory piece is 5" so I will need to cut out a V so that it fits snugly over the single knee brace. I can't wait to see how this new transom looks once completed;)
DSCF4284.jpg

I have to give credit to my significant other Roslynn for choosing this particular piece...she likes the grain patterns on the side shown:)
DSCF4283.jpg

I've never rebuilt a transom so if I'm making any boneheaded maneuvers I sure hope someone will let me know by posting some words of wisdom.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree the SS is the way to go if for no other reason than the 26'er is fiberglass

Rick I'm not sure that SC made the Islanders out of anything but aluminum. I cannot recall ever seeing one, although they sure did make plenty of runabouts and bowriders out of 'glass.

I could be mistaken but those chines on the side sure make me think it is a tinny. It's neither here nor there as we all agree that nobody wants to fool with that sea drive on an apparently factory I/O setup:rolleyes:

I think we have a new Starcraft debate on our hands similar to those claims that Bluefins are SC's with different cushions and paint:D I even mentioned to CBK once that I think Sylvans look an awful lot like the SC's as well. Probably just copying the masters of all that is floating tin though LOL

Any evidence of fiberglass Islanders in the brochures?

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is the bounty of salvaged cedar that will be assembled somehow to create the decking in the bow. It is haphazardly placed in the photo...I will be tipping back a few cold Labatt's tonight and using my standby tactic of staring at it until a GOOD idea pops into my head.

I'm only slightly concerned that with all the stain fumes I've been inhaling prior to the fan installation that those ideas are taking longer and longer to formulate between my synapses and neurons:D:D
DSCF4286.jpg