12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

That transom will surely be a nice upgrade. That is a good looking salmon! How do the Walleye taste? They look like they would be fun to catch.

Cheers,
Kyle

Thanks Kyle...the Walleye taste a bit like lobster...the consistency is firm but not rubbery at all. I've had it fried and broiled...one of the best eating fish in the world.

The perch that I catch are a close second...the markets actually sell the perch for a little more $ than the walleye. Of course the salmon are very tasty as well, smoked especially.:D

Now this monster is called a bowfin, dogfish, mudfish or many other regional names depending on where you go. It's a dinosaur of a fish that is from 250 million years ago.

They can breathe out of water pretty well and can lie dormant in the mud for extended periods of time during drought so they are truly survivors. Haven't tried eating one yet:D But they sure do fight, a 5lb bowfin feels like a 12 lb salmon. They bark like a dog sometimes and also bite like a pike/dog combination...hence the gloves I'm wearing in the picture.
DSCF1488.jpg

Channel catfish that my buddy Ryan caught
DSCF2885.jpg

18" walleye I hauled out of the grand river earlier this summer
DSCF2916.jpg

33lbs Chinook Salmon caught in Lake Michigan in 1991
33lbsalmon.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Transom wood has been removed and the bare aluminum's been brushed with a metal brush
DSCF4397.jpg

DSCF4396.jpg

New transom wood is being sealed, will end up with around 10 coats

ozzgood2001

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looking good! i got my boat out yesterday. we chased walleye in the morning and bluegills in the afternoon not a bad day! wanting to get out this afternoon but i see some rain on the radar south towards jackson sliding up.

Huron Angler

Admiral

looking good! i got my boat out yesterday. we chased walleye in the morning and bluegills in the afternoon not a bad day! wanting to get out this afternoon but i see some rain on the radar south towards jackson sliding up.

Thanks Ozz...I ended up fishing yesterday and caught around 25 bluegill, sunfish, perch and a huge channel cat. My buddy was in town from Cincinnati so I built a temporary transom to get on the water(he loves fishing):D

I'll post some pics of the temp later...here are some more of the transom after removing the original(50 years old) wood that has seen better days.
Before being cleaned
DSCF4383.jpg

DSCF4384.jpg

Here's a photo of my best helper Roslynn who is applying sealer and stain to the new exterior transom...the poplar.

DSCF4381.jpg

DSCF4377.jpg

DSCF4378.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Some photos of the temporary transom that got us on the water for some Labor day weekend fishing.

It will be nice to get the real one bolted on there so I can move on to some other work...like building the bow decking and middle bench hatch...then there's the...oh well, one step at a time:D
DSCF4438.jpg

Notice the plastic bag pieces inserted with the bolts to seal it up...worked very well...not a permanent solution by any means...good for a day or two on the water though;)

The 5hp Johnson is at the marina getting looked over so I will be needing that transom bolted soon...only problem...the little vintage outboard is 4 hours north of me:eek:
DSCF4436.jpg

THEMANFZ1

Cadet

Looking good. When you build the center hatch compartment make sure you leave enough room for yourself were you fish. I made my compartment 21" by 53" and I wanted to leave equal length for the front and the rear fishing area however, I failed to take into consideration that the bow comes to a point and that there is considerably less room in the front. If I had it to do over again I would have built my center console one support rib to the rear giving me more room up front but oh well too late now. I think that an offset pedestal will solve the problem for now.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Quick update on the repowering...I will be running a 1958 5hp Johnson(with the green cowling). The outboard is getting new points, probably a new water pump and new plugs. It's running but the spark is a little weak.

I've got three old-school gas tanks for it as well so longer trips will be an option for me:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well I found a trailer on craigslist for $50 today and wheeled over and bought it when I got out of work:D This might be a better deal than the two brand new seats I got for $40. It's obviously been used for a 12' tinny just like mine and only needs to be rewired for lights, stripped, primed and painted and maybe a new roller or two.

I'm pretty pumped about it since my other converted box trailer has been somewhat functional but not very attractive and not perfect by any stretch.

So I'll be spending sunday doing my best one-day trailer resto and it should be ready to support the weight of the vintage 5hp Johnson and gas tanks much better than the other one.

BTW thanks to all who were able to somehow resist asking me WTF was up with my jerry-rigged trailer that I've been using:D

I know you've all been tactful up to this point but feel free to crack some jokes about it since it's going to be re-converted back into it's former self as a solid box to haul wood in and will live in the northern woods from whence it came:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Ya know..now that you mention it...

Didn't I see a trailer just like your old one being pulled by a goat on CNN's special report on Yugoslavia last night??:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Yeah Kev that is correct:D...still have some goat hair caught on the fenders:D

CNN didn't pay any royalties for the footage to add insult to injury:rolleyes:

Update---the trailer apparently was used for a 13' since after I set my 12' on there was a bit of room left...bow stop will be moved accordingly.

I'm thinking about using a wire wheel on the whole thing to strip the paint. Roslynn has signed up to carpet the new bunks:)

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

HA-

Do you have a donkey for that cart? Just kidding man...you are doing a great job on the boat I am sure the new trailer will be just as nice. I can't wait to start on my boat but hard to stop fishing.

Cheers,
Kyle

sprintst

Commander

You gotta like it when you can enlist some of the hot women folk to help out on the boat build. That's when you know you've got a keeper...or proposed keeper..or a keeper that the wife shouldn't know about :)

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

DSCF1488.jpg

We don't have Bowfin down here, but in the last few years we've had their Asian cousins invade the Mid-Atlantic. Down here they call them Snakeheads, but the only difference between the two is the anal fin on the Snakehead extends all the way to the tail fin. Either way, if we catch them here we're instructed to keep them...we used to get paid $50 per registered fish caught but so many were caught that VA that VA game & fisheries gave up on that idea.:rolleyes:

Either way, since we have to keep them I tend to eat 'em and they are D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!!! Actually, they kind of taste like cold water Walley.

BTW - I've been following the boat thread & can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the good work!:D

BOB

Huron Angler

Admiral

HA-

Do you have a donkey for that cart? Just kidding man...you are doing a great job on the boat I am sure the new trailer will be just as nice. I can't wait to start on my boat but hard to stop fishing.

Cheers,
Kyle

I hear ya KD...I've been fishing quite a bit during the project and it does make it a hassle at times.

I've been getting calls from my buddy asking if I'm ready to go and I be like..."yeah I just need to throw a few things in the boat" meaning pretty much everything including the transom will be removed and I need to throw in the seats, Minn Kota, battery, temp transom wood, all the other gear and hook up the fish finder. Once we have snow on the ground I will be able to really get to work on the hull and complete the job.

Good luck on your project after the fishing slows down:)

Huron Angler

Admiral

You gotta like it when you can enlist some of the hot women folk to help out on the boat build. That's when you know you've got a keeper...or proposed keeper..or a keeper that the wife shouldn't know about :)

Yeah sprint she's definitely a keeper:D No wife or girlfriend on the side for me though...the boat is the only "other woman" in my life;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Yeah sprint she's definitely a keeper:D No wife or girlfriend on the side for me though...the boat is the only "other woman" in my life;)

Don't blame one bit there H.A.;)
Good woman, good boat...dont need a whole lot more.

Ya did need a good goat..but that's been crossed of the list..they are tasty done right..lol:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here are some photos of the $50 trailer...pretty solid...towed it home and it rode as smooth as can be...no leaf suspension or anything...stress is all on the tires apparently but not a problem for my little tin can rig.

It will be stripped, primed and painted...new tires as well probably a little smaller for shallow launches. The lighting will be redone as well as adding a winch crank possibly.

Huron Sr. has offered up a pair for free that will do just fine...he upgraded the tires on his ATV trailer to a larger size so I lucked out there too:D
DSCF4456.jpg

DSCF4454.jpg

DSCF4453.jpg

DSCF4452.jpg

DSCF4451.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

The results of a wire wheel on the old aluminum. I started ith this section so that I can bolt down the new transom wood on a clean surface. Please disregard the bolts and plastic bag-rigged temp solution...hey I needed to go fishing:)
DSCF4516.jpg

I can't wait to see how the rest of the hull looks after some time with my new friend wire wheel:D
DSCF4514.jpg

DSCF4513.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

The trailer has been stripped down with the wire wheel and a coat of sandable primer has been applied. I'm going to spray it grey with rustoleum and possibly buy two new rollers and a winch crank after work today. I'm going to use a piece of composite fake wood with carpet added for the bunks since it will never rot.

I'm just glad that the old orange paint has been removed or covered and the trailer looks much better with just the primer.

I'd like to get a 1'x2' piece of diamond-plate steel for a step near the winch stand/bow stop. Anyone know how much it would cost?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

They have pieces of diamond plate aluminum in that size at Lowes but it's pricey as all heck. Like $40+ for a piece.