12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Pines cheap cedar is expensive :D. That why there wasnt cedar in your box springs ;).

Rick

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was thinking about cedar also but my hours at work just got cut so I might also use pine for now but upgrade to cedar later on down the road. I like your idea of a removable floor so I think I'll do that also to make the wood last longer ('till work improves:rolleyes:) and just store them in my garage.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I decided to mount the Lowrance fishfinder transducer directly to the Minn Kota
The angle of the sonar can still be adjusted in case I run the motor trimmed way up in shallows. Minn Kota offered something similar from the factory that I noticed after I'd already bought the motor and a brand new Humminbird:(
The skeg should protect the transducer, not sure how badly weeds will accumulate on this setup. The clear lakes I fish won't be a problem though:D
DSCF3806.jpg

The cord will be secured to the shaft using zip ties that can easily be cut if I decide to mount the transducer on the stern in case this doesn't work out
DSCF3807.jpg

DSCF3809.jpg

A look at the 4 amp in-line fuse required to run it off the deep cycle...not sure if I'll be getting any interference from running the Minn Kota as well
DSCF3803.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

Huron I paid $175.00 for all the lettering for my service truck so I would say less than $50.00 for what you want . I could ask my guy as he was half what alot of others wanted and then ship them to you if you like just need the graphics and size of the letters :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hey thanks Rick I really appreciate the offer! That will be one of the last things that I do after painting so I will keep that in mind. Sounds like a good price for sure.

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is the completed wiring attachment for the transducer
DSCF3818.jpg

I left enough slack to allow for normal turning
DSCF3820.jpg

now I can work on the middle bench hatch for storage- my neighbor told me he will bring a grinding wheel and proper blade home from work tomorrow- I'll be able to get the old foam out, new foam in, and store the battery amidships:)
DSCF3823.jpg

The Lowrance is black, blue and grey so it fits in nicely- a shelf will be added that will stow the wiring from rain and the Lowrance will be permanently mounted. Probably cup holders and compass as well as switches for lighting
DSCF3825.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Theres only one sure fire way to test that tranducer set up H.A.!!

Lotso fishin!

Looks great..btw there is a 1948 Feathercraft out here for sale..12 footer I think for 1,300

Rickairmedic

Commander

Huron make sure you have a full face shield on when using that grinder with the cutoff wheel on it ( they have and do come apart ) . The cut off wheels are bad about getting bound and comming apart t high speed so just take your time and be carefull :D. The Deck is looking great by the wy and the fishfinder looks like its ready to go hunt out some fishies :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Quick update...the fishfinder worked like a charm. The transducer is pretty solidly mounted on the Minn Kota power head and the little unit showed me where the fish were just as good as the brand new Humminbird;) Caught a 14" bucketmouth and a frisky catfish, my 3-year-old son caught a few little sunnies:)

The mid-90s? Lowrance actually has more features than the newer unit and the color scheme matches the boat a little better(not that color coordination takes precedence over function) so I think I'll keep it where it is currently.

Looking forward to getting some work done after clocking hours for the man today since my neighbor offered free use of professional power tools:D

Rick- my neighbor works in construction of farms and industrial buildings and he is going to be doing the cutting- said he does that kind of thing routinely- so I hope he's got a shield. I appreciate the caution though- I usually get into that kind of trouble when wielding a chainsaw:eek::D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Here's the tinny all cut up:eek: Apparently some worms foolishly sought refuge inside the bench to no avail. Overall the foam is dry on top...the bottom may be a whole different story. That will be removed promptly and replaced.
DSCF3867.jpg

DSCF3871.jpg

My neighbor made a pretty clean cut:) and suggested using the piece as a lid using a full length hinge and a few riveted pieces to support. I'm leaning towards building a wooden box through-bolted on the three open faces so that the aluminum will share structural integrity with the wood and also function as a hatch since I do want to reinforce a bit.
DSCF3864.jpg

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

KD- I'm glad you like the idea for the decking, it's been working out great for me so far and with 4-5 coats of sealer so far it should be pretty waterproof too. The real challenge will be building the same for the bow areas:eek: Not quite as simple as the two sections I've done so far.

Post some pictures of the 14' Klamath in a restoration thread if you want, they look like really nice aluminum hulls on their website. Does yours have railings on it?

I am sure you will do a great job on the bow area. I would suggest using a large piece of cardboard and making a template and then cutting the boards to fit the template. That is what we used to do when I worked as a fabricator and had to make weird shaped pieces.

That is a great idea about starting a thread. I will have to do that once I find the camera cable and read the how to on posting pics. The hull does have aluminum rails on it and they are in pretty good shape....kind of wish they were wood though.

Once you get the decking the color you are looking for are you going to use fiberglass expoxy resin to fully seal it or will the stain be enough protection?

Cheers,
Kyle

Huron Angler

Admiral

Once you get the decking the color you are looking for are you going to use fiberglass expoxy resin to fully seal it or will the stain be enough protection?

Kyle I've been thinking about this for a while and I think I do need to protect the wood more than just the stain/sealer. I might even take all of the screws out to coat all surfaces before reassembling.

I'm open to ideas on what to use after the stain is layered, is epoxy resin the way to go?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Cutting out the foam turned out to be a PITA as I've heard from others. I used my fillet knife to carefully slice without hitting the aluminum. It worked reasonably well.
DSCF3873.jpg

Foam is out...it is in such remarkably great shape that I am going to leave the two pieces in after cutting enough room for the battery. Also will be leaving the foam in the stern bench and adding foam to the bow. I will be cleaning this area and applying gluvit to the entire interior/exterior rivets and seams to get the tin can sealed up tight
DSCF3882.jpg

DSCF3884.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

The large deep cycle fits perfectly in the new storage area. I removed the battery handle to see how flush it is with the bench. The battery is sitting in a case which will keep any water running thru the bilge below. The top for it will not be used due to it being excessively tall and wide for the area. I will need to make sure the hatch lid is sealed tightly somehow to avoid seepage and drips.

My plan is to layer two boards on top to facilitate building a nice hatch with one board vertically placed on each side of the bench as well. This will be sandwiched together into a box using stainless bolts to strengthen. Notice that the bedliner is always dirty looking and very difficult to clean. I wish I'd never spayed that stuff on.
DSCF3888.jpg

DSCF3887.jpg

DSCF3886.jpg

DSCF3885.jpg

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOoking good Huron now for the next trick fishing your wires along the gunwale and then across to the battery :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks Rick- that's right I'm going to be securing the wiring somehow but there is not very much room to do so.:eek:

Extending the factory Minn Kota cord is next up on the agenda as well. I need ideas for securing the wiring on the gunwales(besides zip ties)...maybe drinking a beer and staring at it will help:)

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL HA how about some cable clamps and stainless screws up under the gunwales they come in clear. They use them all the time running coax cable for cable TV you can find them at Homie desperate in the electrical area ( where ll the cable crap is ) .

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

I was talking about buying rope lighting and removing the lighting to create a good waterproof flexible tube to keep the wires protected. Not sure though.

My girlfriend said that keeping the lights would be nice too for lighting. I do like some night fishing so long as the beer stays cold and the fish keep biting.;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL save the rope lights for The Starcraft that ones not relly big enough to get um romantic on :D. I will add though if all you want is Plastic/ rubber tubes to run the wires in They also have clear rubbeer hose in the plumbing area in several differant diamaters ( its usually located in the same area where all the brass fittings are) :D. I use it to run condensate drain lines from condensate pumps I buy it in 100' rolls though at wholesale supply houses .

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Since the skinniest piece on the middle decking needed to be replaced and I have known in the back of my mind that this will rot anyway unless I take it all apart, stain, seal, and resin coat...then put it all back together again...I figured now is as good a time as any:) You can clearly see the lack of coverage.
DSCF3910.jpg

I've got a piece that will fit perfectly in place of this one
DSCF3909.jpg

I'm also working on staining and sealing this piece to be a shelf to hold the fishfinder, compass, cup holders and switches for lighting- it will have a notch cut out so that it fits flush against the side of the hull and possibly raised a bit to keep it to the side as much as possible
DSCF3901.jpg

DSCF3898.jpg