12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: 12' 1960s AeroCraft restoration

Makes perfect sense to me I understand the look your going after :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This is the stain/sealer that I've been coating the decking with- up to around 3-4 coats and counting at this point...repelling water pretty well...tested that while fishing in the rain last night:) Caught another mess of perch, crappie, smallmouth bass, bluegill, catfish and redear sunfish:D

DSCF3708.jpg

DSCF3705.jpg

DSCF3703.jpg

2 words here...

SA-WEEEEEET!!!!

btw Huron..that 18 ftr SS Starcraft...I missed out, guy sold it yesterday afternoon after I talked with him from the road, we were both out of town. TOLD him I was very interested, emailed him Monday..Stalked him all day yesterday..He finally told me last night he sold it..Here's one last glimpse of a 250.00 18 ft SS..sniff sniff....:(

Attachments

• 18 ft SS 300 obo.jpg
    18 ft SS 300 obo.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral

He finally told me last night he sold it..Here's one last glimpse of a 250.00 18 ft SS..sniff sniff....

Now that is simply tragic and sad:eek::mad::($250 was a clearance price to say the least...maybe offer $300 to the guy who bought it?

There will be another old girl that'll come along before too long(although maybe not THAT nice looking...for THAT cheap...besides didn't you say Diane would've killed you if you drove home with another SC? LOL:D

Maybe living w/out a restored 18' SS is a fate worse than death:confused:;)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Now that is simply tragic and sad:eek::mad::($250 was a clearance price to say the least...maybe offer $300 to the guy who bought it?

There will be another old girl that'll come along before too long(although maybe not THAT nice looking...for THAT cheap...besides didn't you say Diane would've killed you if you drove home with another SC? LOL:D

Maybe living w/out a restored 18' SS is a fate worse than death:confused:;)

Well..the kicker is Diane finally got onboard with the SS...I think that adds insult to injury..No wait..Some guy will be joining the Starcraft club here in a couples days with a sweet 18 ft SS he just stole for 250 bucks and wants to gut it into a center console....Hold me back fellas...Let me at him!!! Dont do it Kev...Its not worth it...Just a clip..let me dump a clip into him!! just ONE....Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kev now that Diane is onboard you will find a nice 22'SS to resto Heck you send me links to SS's every other week from down there :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Well..the kicker is Diane finally got onboard with the SS

Congratulations Kev...it sounds like the hardest part is out of the way now;)

Just keep checking craigslist and the SS will be there eventually.:)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Kev now that Diane is onboard you will find a nice 22'SS to resto Heck you send me links to SS's every other week from down there :D.

Rick

My luck it would be the exact opposite ya know? lol
They will be like hens teeth now!

Rickairmedic

Commander

ROFLMAO So Kev what your saying is your luck is like mine if it were not for bad you wouldnt have any :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

This is a close-up of the portside AeroCraft logo...pretty faint and can only be seen at an angle:confused:...I need to repaint this as closely to original as possible...I think it was stenciled with red paint in the factory
DSCF3713-1.jpg

Link to original factory AeroCraft logo, notice the bomber theme, due to many of the company's men having previously fabricated aluminum airplanes for the war effort and learned how to make boats in the process
http://www.fiberglassics.com/aerocraft/images/logo.jpg

Link to the original brochure from 1967...mine is the Z-12:)
http://www.fiberglassics.com/aerocraft/aerocraftb67015.jpg

Portable Humminbird fishfinder, considering mounting it or the older Lowrance unit permanently
DSCF3639.jpg

As far as the work goes I've been steadily brushing the stain/sealer on the decking, thinking about building bow decking, probably tackle the transom soon:eek:

Rickairmedic

Commander

One other option other than painting on the Logo on the boat would be to take a PDF copy of the Logo you showed here and some decent measurements of the height and width of the letters you can see to a sighn shop . They can do everything you need up in vinyl that you would simply apply to the boat :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

Puttin in at the fishin hole...undisclosed location:)
DSCF3717.jpg

trolling
DSCF0727.jpg

Nice looking young bass...smallmouth I believe?
DSCF3727.jpg

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hi Huron - I am also fixin' up an aluminum can close to yours. Mines a '54 13foot Feather craft skipper. It will be my Susquehanna River fishing rig. I love the floor idea that your rolling with. I'll be posting pics of my restore shortly. I just finished stripping off 2 coats of duck boat paint off the outside (whaaaaat a mess) an now it's off to hull repair.

BTW - The fish you got is a Largemouth Bass. looking at the size, it's probably about a 2005-06 year hatch.:)

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Cool, a bass necklace!:D

57chris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I love your boat! I have a 12' fiberglass Sears Gamefisher made in '76. Good to see these little boats still on the water! :cool: That 7.5 will make all the difference in the world, I wouldn't pass up a 10hp tho if you find something a little overpowered it's good when you're loaded down with crew and gear.

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Huron thanks for taking the time to post this thread...I am currently starting a 14' Klamath and was looking floor ideas. Your method looks like the perfect solution to fit my needs.

Huron Angler

Admiral

One other option other than painting on the Logo on the boat would be to take a PDF copy of the Logo you showed here and some decent measurements of the height and width of the letters you can see to a sighn shop . They can do everything you need up in vinyl that you would simply apply to the boat :D.

Rick

Now that is a good idea...I'm assuming you mean a vinyl sticker rather than painting? Roslynn has already thrown some ideas out there as far as painting the logo but I don't think she'd mind if I got it done at a place instead.:)

I wonder how much they'd want for two little logo sticker and new lettering for "The Loon" on the stern?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hi Huron - I am also fixin' up an aluminum can close to yours. Mines a '54 13foot Feather craft skipper. It will be my Susquehanna River fishing rig. I love the floor idea that your rolling with. I'll be posting pics of my restore shortly. I just finished stripping off 2 coats of duck boat paint off the outside (whaaaaat a mess) an now it's off to hull repair.

BTW - The fish you got is a Largemouth Bass. looking at the size, it's probably about a 2005-06 year hatch.:)

Hi Fishpoop...a '54 huh, sweet! Does she leak at all? If so use gluvit on the interior to seal her up tight on the rivets and seams. That is according to the experts on this site who've been there and done that many times:)

Also, you may want to check out a few of the Starcraft restoration threads for ideas and best practices. There are a bunch of them and most of them are VERY well done. Since aluminum isn't the easiest to deal with I find tips and advice frequently.

Thanks for the positive ID on the bass LOL...we've been debating that over beers. I thought the mouth wasn't far enough back in relation to the eyes to be a bucketmouth:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Cool, a bass necklace!
LOL that's my buddy Chris-he probably would wear a bass necklace if it the stench didn't keep the women away!

I've got another picture of him kissing the same fish...just didn't feel like posting it- pretty hilarious though:D

I love your boat! I have a 12' fiberglass Sears Gamefisher made in '76. Good to see these little boats still on the water! That 7.5 will make all the difference in the world, I wouldn't pass up a 10hp tho if you find something a little overpowered it's good when you're loaded down with crew and gear.

Thanks Chris, I bet your gamefisher is a spittin image of mine give or take a few minor details, I've seen plenty of them in this area. What hp is yours rated to handle? Mine is 7.5 since the boat is really lightweight(86lbs) and the transom has only one knee brace.

As far as the outboard...I was on the phone with a guy at a marina today that's got a 9.8 Merc for $500. Said it was an early 80s Merc that runs excellent so I am considering that too.

Huron thanks for taking the time to post this thread...I am currently starting a 14' Klamath and was looking floor ideas. Your method looks like the perfect solution to fit my needs.

KD- I'm glad you like the idea for the decking, it's been working out great for me so far and with 4-5 coats of sealer so far it should be pretty waterproof too. The real challenge will be building the same for the bow areas:eek: Not quite as simple as the two sections I've done so far.

Post some pictures of the 14' Klamath in a restoration thread if you want, they look like really nice aluminum hulls on their website. Does yours have railings on it?

Fishpoop

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Huron - Yep I'm going to use gluvit. I would have never known about the product if it wasn't for these guys on Iboats. What kind of wood did you use for your boat decking?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Huron - Yep I'm going to use gluvit. I would have never known about the product if it wasn't for these guys on Iboats. What kind of wood did you use for your boat decking?

I believe it's pine but I'm not sure since I salvaged it from my box springs after I got a new mattress and box springs. I also used a few 9' cedar pieces so it is a real mix of wood. I need to buy some lumber to finish the bow so I'm not sure what to get:confused: