1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

Wow big Red you're kicking butt on this resto....
doing a damn fine job....

this little checkmate has many similarities to our Glaspar G3 (its a 14' 1961 with a 1961 Johnson 75hp and also a saggy back transom) it currently smells like cat **** ...and something else ...cant pin the stink down...dont really care IT STINKS! lol

we'll split the hull on ours this fall winter....

Ill be following all of your great work...it will give us great insight into what we have in store for us this winter...THANKS !

jcsercsa

Captain

LOOKING GOOD THere BigRed !!!! What you going to use to bed the stringers in ??

Hay get a fan on that wood you got drying !! and a week isn't long enough to get it nice and dry !!!!!!!! you need at least 3 weeks , and thats if it isn't too humid out !!!! John

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

LOOKING GOOD THere BigRed !!!! What you going to use to bed the stringers in ??

Hay get a fan on that wood you got drying !! and a week isn't long enough to get it nice and dry !!!!!!!! you need at least 3 weeks , and thats if it isn't too humid out !!!! John

Thanks John! I'm probably going to bed it in with PL Premo then fillet with PB then glass it in. I personally like to have my wood sit for a month or two but I have mother nature breathing down my neck and this wood already has a bad crown. I heard snow forecasted for Michigan next week so it's not far off for us here in Dayton. If anything, I'm trying to get stuff precut now so I don't have to mess with it later.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Wow big Red you're kicking butt on this resto....
doing a damn fine job....

this little checkmate has many similarities to our Glaspar G3 (its a 14' 1961 with a 1961 Johnson 75hp and also a saggy back transom) it currently smells like cat **** ...and something else ...cant pin the stink down...dont really care IT STINKS! lol

we'll split the hull on ours this fall winter....

Ill be following all of your great work...it will give us great insight into what we have in store for us this winter...THANKS !

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad you find this thread useful and informative. I just hope you never have to go through core replacement like what I did. It's a real kick in the gut! Speaking of core replacement, it didn't stink like cat urine, it did have an unidentifiable odor of old lake water, rotted wood, beer and old poly resin. It's enough to make me gag now just thinking about it.

A side not: A man should not be allowed to go to a marina with his checkbook alone because I saw a Glasspar and a Glastron CVX that were both sweet boats and I SOOOOOO wanted both of them. They both had some great lines and fortunately for my wife and our marriage, the guy wanted way too much for them in their present condition.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Update time! I hit the boat first thing this morning and was able to accomplish a lot. I cut some major pieces that include my deck, front bulkhead and gunnel boards. Before I took the grinder to the lip from the previous deck, I made a template with tracing paper. It wasn't the easiest thing to do but it worked. Today, I taped the template to the 1/2" plywood and took my knife and cut a slit into the paper so I could pencil a mark. After making an outline of sorts, I simply connected the dots that were left on the wood.

IMG_3242.jpg

Tracing paper template of the deck

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3247.jpg

Using the jig saw to cut out the deck

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Next, I cut out my forward bulkhead by simply using the existing as a template and using the jig saw to cut out.

IMG_3244.jpg

IMG_3248.jpg

Then I moved on to the side gunnel rails. These are the boards that run on the top of the inside of the boat that are usually cushioned. I only had one to work from as the other had rotted years ago and the one I did have was in pretty bad shape. I did manage to trace a template from the original and then I cut the first one by cutting 1/4" away from the line. After that one was made, I flipped it over (using BC grade ply and I want good ply on the outside for both pieces) and clamped it down and cut it by using the first piece. Afterwards, I left them clamped and sanded down to the finish line for both so the matched exactly.

IMG_3249.jpg

Clamped together during cutting and sanding.

IMG_3250.jpg

Matching gunnel rails

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Although I have made great strides today, I did have a major set back.
eusa_doh.gif
I was in the process of replacing my last little section of core when I hit a landmine of rotted core where the foam in the bow sat. I should be used to feeling of replacing core but it still hits you in the nads, if you know what I mean.

IMG_3251.jpg

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking great, alot of little tricks you have up your sleeve and thanks for sharing them.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We might be doing those gunnel pads too, we went searching for foam last night and found NONE anywhere. Lowes by our houses only sell the white crappy foam. Where are you going to get your padding?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Looking great, alot of little tricks you have up your sleeve and thanks for sharing them.

Thanks for the compliment and I'm always willing to share my tips & tricks.

We might be doing those gunnel pads too, we went searching for foam last night and found NONE anywhere. Lowes by our houses only sell the white crappy foam. Where are you going to get your padding?

To be honest, I don't have a clue. At this point, I don't even know what colors the boat is even going to be. I thought I came across something way back in the beginning of someplace like Great Lakes Distributors or something like that with foam padding, etc. If I find anything out, I'll definitely share with you.

yoyins69

Cadet

that's a nice looking boat. hey and do you really think I should live the colors just give a litter more shine and that's it :confused:

chrishayes

Nice work as usual my man! We have the same Walmart special jigsaw by the way...also, it doesnt even look like fall is there yet. Whats up with that? It has been downright frigged here and the leaves are already falling! I even busted out the insulated bib overalls at work the other day with a carrhart jacket and toboggin cap. WAY too cold for October cant wait to see what the rest of REAL winter brings. Did I mention I hate winter in Ohio?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work as usual my man! We have the same Walmart special jigsaw by the way...also, it doesnt even look like fall is there yet. Whats up with that? It has been downright frigged here and the leaves are already falling! I even busted out the insulated bib overalls at work the other day with a carrhart jacket and toboggin cap. WAY too cold for October cant wait to see what the rest of REAL winter brings. Did I mention I hate winter in Ohio?

You can't beat the Walmart or Harbor Freight specials. :D

It's been pretty cold here. The leaves are now starting to fall. We are definitely in agreement with the hatred of winter! The only good side about the cold is I'm not going to sweat my tail off grinding away on the boat. :rolleyes: Oh well, got to keep looking at the positive.

Good luck with the baby room and the rebuild of your motor. I hope you get some opportunities to work on the boat throughout the winter.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Keep up the great work Red!

Vegas...

Thanks Vegas...When I get a chance, I need to catch up with what you have occomplished. ;) I haven't had much time for the boat this week with work but will probably hit it hard next week.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

that's a nice looking boat. hey and do you really think I should live the colors just give a litter more shine and that's it :confused:

Thanks yoyins69.

IMO, I would try buffing/polishing first as the cost of supplies would be minimal but it does require a lot of elbow grease. If that doens't work, then I'd go with re-painting and only be out a couple of bucks.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

This past week, I've been glassing several pieces that I cut out a while ago.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

I hear that, seems like season change is jackin up alot of projects!

Rock on!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some pictures to update with. It's been slow going as I've been toying around with some thoughts and ideas.

I've been glassing the underside of the deck for a week now using 6" tape cloth (10oz). Yes, watching paint dry would be more fun but I hava a whole roll to use up and I'm in no big hurry since I still have bad balsa to remove. Hopefully this will reduce the amount of crown of the 1/2" wood after I take the weights off.

IMG_3252.jpg

Front

IMG_3253.jpg

Back

IMG_3260.jpg

Overall

I also have the stringer glassed on both sides. I used 6" cloth on this also since the tallest part of the stringer/floor support will be approximately 5.5" so the part not glassed will eventually be cut off and both edges sealed. Depending on how much cloth I have left, I may go ahead and glass the edges also.

IMG_3255.jpg

Stringer

Here is my bulkhead or whatever you call it glassed on both sides. It too will require final trimming and edges sealed.

IMG_3254.jpg

Bulkhead

Lastly, I have one side of my rail boards glassed and will probably glass the other side tonight. I did not use my tape on these as they were wider then 6" so I had to cut out of my large roll of cloth.

IMG_3261.jpg

Gunnel rails

chrishayes

glad to see you still working! Mine is put up for bed to sleep for the LONG winter. I got her out of the garage after removing the decking that I had started installing. I figure it will see a little water through the winter so I dont want any non glassed wood in it. Sad but thats the way it is without a true shop. The garage must be used as a car cover. That and there is just no motivation left in me as the days have gotten shorter and the temps have fallen out. I also have too many other projects inside and outside the house to complete for the baby arrival this coming spring. My wife has assured me that she will not gripe at me for doing boat work around and after the baby as long as I finish the babies room and our master bath. We have also decided that we need to find new homes for our 2 big dogs due to the amount of hair and craziness that they create. I hope to find a nice home for them but in the end the baby is more important and I couldnt live with a baby covered in dog hair all the time not to mention if one of them were to hurt him/her. If you know of anyone that is looking to take in one or both of them please let me know. They are both 3 years old and fully housebroken and very lovable. One is a full bred german shepherd about 70lbs and the other is a mutt about 50lbs. Good luck on the boat this winter.