1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

Nice to see your post again! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Did some more work today. I cranked on all the heaters this morning until my garage was about 90 degrees. With all the bad core now removed, I set the new in and now my core repair is finally complete.

IMG_3555.jpg

Since I had time to kill today, I finally got around to scraping the adhesive/sealer off of the hall that seals the cap to the hall. I ended up using some carb cleaner with a kitchen scratch pad to get the remaining bits off. After that, I decided that I'm most likely going to redo my dash completely so I made some plugs to fill in some holes using some 3/4" plywood. I still need to do some work with the big hole but I didn't want to mess with cutting into the dash and making a mess on my core repair. They aren't the prettiest but after they are glued in and glassed over, you'll never know there were any holes.

IMG_3556.jpg

This evening I mixed up some pb and filled in all the gaps around the core.

IMG_3557.jpg

Tomorrow with weather permitting, I will sand and lay a layer of cloth glass over the two upper sections.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looking good, she is a sexy boat, get her running again!

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Today, I glassed over the repair forward repair area.

IMG_3560.jpg

Not to worry, there is excess glass that didn't need wetted out. It will get sanded off.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Then I took 1708 and covered the entire back section stopping short of the new glassing in the front. I will let everything set up and cure then I will sand the front and just enough of the 1708 that I laid today to overlap. Then I'll be ready to install the stringer. :D

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice looking job! That brings back fond memories....of itching! :eek: What are you using for stringer material?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

LOL...the itching isn't too bad with the sanding. I have (2) 1/2 pieces of plywood that's glued together and pre-glassed.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think I remember that now. Your work looks really detail oriented, nice job.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I finished glassing the forward core repair with 1708 yesterday. My core repair is officially over, unless there is an issue down the road.

IMG_3578.jpg

Today, I trimmed my stringer (or floor support if you like) and it's finally in the boat. The process I used was simple to get the original height. First, I scribed the bottom where it seemed a little high then I cut a line down where the tabs of the original floor are. This allowed me to pull a string from one tab acoss through the line I cut to the other tab to get my height. I did this for the front, middle and rear section of the stringer then ran a chalk line across all three marks then used a circular saw to cut a nice straight line.

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3579.jpg

Afterwards, I bedded it in place using PL Premium. Once in place, I used 2x4's weighted down with some concrete block to hold in place so I could make sure it was centered as best as it could be then ran a bead of PL down the edge to do fillets.

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3582.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I made some progress this weekend by installing my deck. I glued it in using PL Premium then weighed it down with everything I could find. After setting it in place, I then filled in the seams with the leftover glue.

IMG_3614.jpg

IMG_3615.jpg

Today, I took off all the weight and scraped off any excess glue from the wood and hull. Then I mixed up a couple of batches of epoxy pb and fillet the edges. If it wasn't for the fact that it's been raining for the past couple of day, I'd have it glassed in but that will probably wait until Tuesday, if I'm lucky.

IMG_3616.jpg

It's so nice to be able to walk on something flat in this boat for a change!

Friscoboater

Captain

Nice work man. Why is the deck so low in the hull? From the look in the pictures you wold be sitting at an angle behind the steering wheel.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work man. Why is the deck so low in the hull? From the look in the pictures you wold be sitting at an angle behind the steering wheel.

It's a real low profile boat. The seats will be mounted on a wood box that I need to construct that will contour part of the side of the hull. You can kind of see where the original seat mounts were before I sanded the hall.

IMG_2540.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good work. That's definitely a milestone!

jcsercsa

Captain

Looking Good there Red !!! You will be hitting the water soon !! John

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys! It is a huge milestone and my goal is to be on the water by July if not before.

I plan on building a wood base for the new gas tank to hold it in place. Should the gas tank need any foam board around it for cushion/protection or could I make the base slightly larger to accomodate for expansion and tack it in place with some glue? Right now, I'm leaning towards the latter of the two.

All opinions are welcome.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

What a milestone to pass! Great work.

To answer your question on the gas tank, I put a bead of PL under the tank, but if I had the chance to redo it, I'd spray some rubberized undercoating on the tank mount and anything the tank would touch. That would prevent noise from the tank bumping around and soften any blows from bouncing around. Although even some pink foam under the tank would suffice and give the added benefit of air/water movement.

You have a lot of options and it really boils down to your own preference, as my tank had no mounting at all when I removed it. It was just sitting there with 1/4" expansion area.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I've started working on the seat bases. Here is the framed construction of my rear seat that will tie into the transom. Once done, I should be able to mount any size motor on this boat but for now, I'll start out with my 1500. When I'm done adding all this wood, I'll probably need a 250 hp to reach good speed.

Anyways, my 19 gallon fuel tank will be elevated in the back to give room for my bilge pump. There will be a 1" allowance on each side of the tank for adding foam or whatever buffer I come up with. The total height of the base for the rear bench seat will only 8" tall. The total height from deck to top of the cap is only 22" so I want company to be confortable without feeling like they are going to fall out. The depth of the seat will be 18". Here are a couple of pictures of what I have thus far but my pieces still need to be contoured to the hall...

IMG_3617.jpg

IMG_3618.jpg

IMG_3619.jpg

Also, here is the basic construction of my front seat base mounts. I still need to contour the edges with the hall and make the tops that the seat will bolt to.

IMG_3620.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Here are some updated pictures...

IMG_3621.jpg

Roughed construction of the rear seat

IMG_3622.jpg

Glassed the back and seat of the bench seat.

IMG_3627.jpg

Fitted supports that will tie into the transom

IMG_3626.jpg