Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Texas state law, CROSS YOUR TRAILER SAFETY CHAINS!

In most states, the law read that the chains are to prevent the trailer from striking the ground if it should come loose.

No really possible on many of the trailers, or tow vehicles on the roads today, but thats the law and intent.
    Medford, WI

Comment

That's what started it all. I only live about 10 minutes from the boat ramp here on the bayou, and hardly ever hook up the chains or lights. I go the back way and there is no traffic. I was at the ramp and this off duty policeman was loading his boat and told me about the law. H did not, but could have given me a ticket, just a nice guy, so now I hook and go legally.
      You take the right side chain and hook it on the left side on the truck and do the same with the left side, hook it on the right side of the truck.
      Paddle faster Bubba, I think I hear banjos getting louder and closer!!!

Comment

Good info, thank you.
        1987 Glastron Conroy X-19
        Mercruiser 3.7l 165hp 4 Banger
        sigpic

Comment

So what are you supposed to do if you run a heavy double ball hitch? The only way my chains are getting crossed is if they get extended 4 inches.

And the pictures of that pintle are ridiculous. No way in hell chains that size are going to secure that trailer.
          2012 Malibu VTX 5.7 Monsoon 350
          2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Originally posted by oldjeep View Post
            So what are you supposed to do if you run a heavy double ball hitch? The only way my chains are getting crossed is if they get extended 4 inches.
            ANSWER: Extend the chains 4"
            Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
            But, where are the reevets?
            1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
            1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
            1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
            90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
            Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
            sigpic

Comment

I'm going to get flamed but here goes.

Crossing the chains is a good practice but will not catch & hold a trailer up off the ground.

Think about it everyone...If one end of the chains are attached to a trailer that's come unhooked and has fallen...what holds that end of the chain up?

Answer...Nothing...they're on the ground just like the rest of the trailer. Crossed chains do keep the tongue more in line with the center of the vehicle, they most certainly do not hold the tongue up.

The chains are only there to keep the trailer somewhat under control...when you hit the brakes, that trailer tongue is going under the rear of your vehicle as you try to stop...

In order for chains to hold up a trailer they'd have to be shorter than the height of the chain's attachment point to the vehicle. So if the chains attach at a height of 13" off the ground, your chain could only be 12" in total length...

I'm guessing most of us use a draw bar and the chain attachment point is back under the bumper, with the attachment point on the trailer set back a decent amount on the trailer, a little added slack for corners...and we're all over the total length.

Twisting chains weakens them and increases the chance of failure...
              My Boat:
              1978 Glastron Carlson CVZ-18
              Project Thread - https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=357939

1986 Bayliner Capri 1600 - SOLD
              Project Thread - https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=338265

Comment

Originally posted by dorelse View Post

Crossing the chains is a good practice but will not catch & hold a trailer up off the ground.
                thanks for doing it for me! After reading through the thread, I was about to post a one sentence post. Crossing your chains is pointless!

Here is an experiment you can try if you have a lighter trailer. Cross the chains, unhook it, and then pull the trailer back away from the vehicle. (much like the normal drag would anyway) On MOST trailers, the tongue will simply fall through the crossed part and hit the pavement.

Comment

I know a few of our readers have told stories about decoupling trailers while on the road... Has anyone actually witnessed the crossed chains offering a benefit? I kind of agree that the tongue is hitting the ground either way, not to mention whatever bump is big enough to bounce the tongue off the ball will probably bounce it out of the crossed chains.

I still cross mine when on public roads because it doesn't take any extra effort, but it seems like false security to go around thinking it will help.
                  Alan

Comment

nah usually there will be no benifit as far as "catching the tongue" but crossed chains don't bind in turns....

It's still a good idea to cross them.... it is also a good idea to have them attached to the trailer with two seperate bolts or welds..... redundancy is your friend
                    Kevin

Originally posted by Tinnie
                    But, where are the reevets?
                    1981 Wellcraft V-20 CC Fisherman (FREE BOAT)
                    1989 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 28(Build thread here)
                    1992 Hotsports Jet'n'Cat Yam 701 WR3 drivetrain "SS George Washington"
                    90's Yamaha WRIII and a pair of 95 Kawasaki ZXI-900's
                    Fresh clean cheap oil is better then old dirty expensive oil any day
                    sigpic

Comment

There used be a law on the books in some lands that before you marrried your wife the land lord would get first crack at her... just saying!!
                      Lets all do a collective bow to the OFF DUTY cop for having mercy on you!!
                      1996 Chaparral 2335 SSt
                      2004 Re-built jasper 5.7LX
                      1996 BIII

Comment

My trailer has cables not chains. Should I cross them or replace them with chains?
                        sigpic

2000 Crownline 180BR - Lil Red

Comment

I was riding with a friend when his trailer came unhitched without crossed chains. The trailer bounced left, then right until breaks were applied at which point it slammed into the back of the truck and he used the truck to stop the trailer.

If you add one of those d clamps or bolt the chains together closer to the toungue it will create an effective basket that will create a nice basket. This is pointless if you have too long of a chain. I think the safest thing would be to test it. That's what I did...the correct length of chain will hold my trailer toungue off the ground.

We just had a 16 yr old girl in MN that didnt have safety chains hooked up and her trailer killed a 31yr old dad and his 3yr old girl. Imagine the guilt she is feeling while sitting in her jail cell waiting to be tried for 2 counts of homicide.

If you ask me this is unquestionably the most important part about owning ANY trailer. If it were up to me, anyone pulling a trailer should need some sort of trailer certification card they can show to officers proving they are deemed responsible.
                          2003 Glastron SX175 3.0l Mercruiser

Comment

Interesting read from NHTSA
                            http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...connecting.htm

Also, from the sticky

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

And from pennsylvania's Motor Vehicle Code

Chapter 49 section 4905 subsection D

(d) Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.
                            Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Comment

Originally posted by dorelse View Post

Twisting chains weakens them and increases the chance of failure...
                              agreed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otw_X...eature=related
                              NEWB FAQ and other good info:

is my floor/transom/stringers rotted out? Yes your DECK is, and no you should'nt just patch a small part.

should I use foam? yes

polyester or epoxy? epoxy

{insert any other shortcut restoration question here**? and the answer is still NO!

my 1984 Stratos Bass Boat Restoration>
                              https://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=404575

Comment

Originally posted by HappierWet View Post
                                Interesting read from NHTSA
                                http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/E...connecting.htm

Also, from the sticky

And from pennsylvania's Motor Vehicle Code

Chapter 49 section 4905 subsection D

(d) Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.
                                I wouldn't put much stock in this one:

They're completely wrong on the MN law regarding trailer brakes.
                                2012 Malibu VTX 5.7 Monsoon 350
                                2018 Ram CC 5.7 Hemi

www.oldjeep.com

Comment

Working...
                                X