Just an odd question

SgtMaj

Lieutenant Commander
This is just an odd question, but why do we use fiberglass? Why not cotton, or polyester batting? Just a strange question, but I got to looking at some poly batting, and noticed how it looks similar to mat. I'm sure the poly batting would disintegrate in the poly resin though, so that kinda answers that, but what about other fibers?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Just an odd question

Cost. That is the only reason. Carbon Fiber used in some VERY costly boats but very strong. The resins react and bond to the glass fibers.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i might be in need of some carbon fiber pretty quick.....if i can get it cheap enough....and if if bonds chemically.... properly....i wouldnt mind using some...

sarg.....

if you can read up on the history of fiberglass.....it is a very complicated chemical process.....everything has to work togeather......too much of one...not enough of the other....all equals weak......the glass strands in mat are designed to combine with other chemicals.....i just dont know if another substance (ie cotton) will work as good....but im not a pro glass man.....not even an amature for that matter.

wheres ondarivr?.....this is his area

oops

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

In reality most any type of fiber will work, it's just that glass is very strong and relatively cheap. Cotton rots, absorbs water and it's weak, there are some polyester products, but they aren't used for their strength, they're used for corrosion resistance, surface profile and in infusion to help the resin flow. Resin is used to hold fibers in place, glass works well with polyester resin, but as the the type of fiber gets stronger you need better resins for good results, that's why epoxy is used with carbon and Kevlar.