Santee cats in January

ztim

Chief Petty Officer
Where is a good place to get cats on Lake Marion near the dam? The water is so low (about9') I was wondering where the catfish might be holding or if they hold during the winter months.
Thanks

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Santee cats in January

Got a buddy at work that went down there this weekend. If he had any luck, I'll find out where tomorrow and post back on here!

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! I'm shootin' for Tuesday when the temp will be upper 60's but with good news I'll go in any weather.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I talked to my buddy that spent the weekend down there. He said Friday night, he stayed in the shallows, thinking they may be feeding with no luck. On Saturday, he stayed in the channels and tore them up on large live minnows, fishing the bottom of the main channel (a whopping 20 feet down). I'm not real familiar with the lake, but imagine if you get a good map, you can easily find the main channels. Hope that helps!

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. I have a map of the whole lake system which does show the channels in both upper and lower lakes. The twenty foot channel would usually be thirty, but the lake level ten feet low.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah - This guy said it's been slim pickins on water level for about 9 months now - apparently he married up, and the father in law has a house down there. Problem is, at the end of the dock is a 20 foot sandy beach!

Best of luck to ya. Let me know how you do, and if you do anything different. I've always used cut herring down there - cut into about 2" chunk cubes and pulled some big ones out of there. Let me know how you do!

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Okay, I sure will let you know. Due to the wind issues, it looks like I'll have to fish Ashwood Lake today. That is 10 miles down the road between Sumter and Bishopville. It is called a lake but is really a large dammed mill pond. I'll fish the deeper creek beds with slow working lures. I don't know what kind yet because I don't know what the water clarity is.

You should see all the new beach at Santee! There are miles of piers out of the water and tons of beached pontoon boats. It looks so funny too because many of the motor's props are buried in sand. Come summertime a kid could make some money pulling the boats and stuff to the water's edge.

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We usually make a trip down there in April for a "kickoff event" for me and my buddies across the state. Typically, we'll camp at the only tent site at Polly's landing - all the way in the back. There's room for 5+ cars and 5+ tents, which is great for all of us coming from different directions. They have water, electricity and a huge street light with a switch. For years, that site has been surrounded on 3 sides by water. I bet money it's dried up on at least 2 sides - probably all three. What a shame. I'm not sure if we're going to make it down there this year or not. Fortunately, they're keeping Keowee pretty full - Jocassee and Hartwell (especially) are taking huge hits every day it doesn't rain. Keowee is great news for when I take the family out, but the fishing there just isn't that great.

Let me know how you do! I'm curious to know!

sc_shane

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey - one more quick post. Just heard something nice to hear - it's RAINING up here in Greenville! Maybe it'll wash some water your way! Take care.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

Much of the rain we have been getting is not affecting us. Water levels change daily in thousandths of an inch. +-.002

Ashwood was great until I got on the water. Then wind blew me all over the place. The place I am taking my car tomorrow for a tune up has a guy working there that did go fish out of Randolf's Land. He did very well fishing the channel.

ztim

Chief Petty Officer

We beat the old high temp today. It was around 80* and the lake was postcard perfect except the fish didn't cooperate. We weren't the only ones that got skunked. One boat we talked to did get one catfish about four pounds. There were some people going out when we were coming in about sundown. I'm sure they would have better luck.

We fished channels and old river and creek beds. The fish were there. We could see them on my depth finder. They just were not hungry for the shad or blood bait we were trying. Well, there is always next time.