69 40hp johnson conversion to tiller

JOEW2290

Recruit
I am looking at buying a 40 hp long shaft remote steer motor. I would like to make it a tiller drive with a short shaft. Does anyone know if this can be done ?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 69 40hp johnson conversion to tiller

Welcome to iboats. cost wise you are better of to keep looking. trying to find the parts in good shape is going to be hard.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

On the early big twins you could add a tiller on so I could assume you add one on, but as TD says, it could be real tough to find the parts.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Yes, it can be done. There is an "emergency throttle" on the port side of the motor, which must be removed in order to fit the tiller arm in its place. You will have to remove the "KNOB & SHAFT, throttle" (PN 0377211), and then remove the "COVER, Throttle Control" (PN 0305380) that the knob & shaft fits into. In the place of the knob and shaft, you insert a shaft with a geared end that meshes with a similar shaft in the tiller handle. I tried to find the correct name and PN for this item on the Bombardier parts page but its not listed.

I think the toughest part of your project will be to find the tiller handle and the correct throttle shaft for the lower housing. I know that they were available at one time because I have an owners manual for an old Johnson 35hp Super Seahorse (close to the same engine as the 40hp) and it shows an available handle for the motor. You may also be able to use the same handle that was used for the earlier Evinrude and Johnson 35hp motors. For this item, I would surf EBay and ask your local outboard repair shops if they might have one in their "junk pile." If so, you could probably purchase the item for very little.As for the log shaft to short shaft conversion, that can be done as well. If it were me, I would just look for a short shaft motor in the first place but, if you are getting a good deal on a long shaft, you can certainly do this. You will need the "DRIVE SHAFT ASSEMBLY, Standard" (PN 0379875), "ROD, shift, upper" (PN 0377398), "TUBE, Water, in" (PN0305492) and "TUBE, Water, out" (PN 0314322). If you have trouble finding the water tubes, you may be able to make them from copper tubing - just be sure to get the right outside diameter so that they will fit snugly in the water tube grommets. While your doing all of this, replacing the* "GROMMET, Water tube (4) (PN 0304023) and the water pump impeller (don't have the PN - the parts diagram that I am looking at has a mistake & it is missing) isn't a bad idea. The same is true of the "O RING, Drive shaft to crankshaft (PN 0303059), the "O RING" (PN 0202591 and the "SEAL" (PN 0305306)

SteeringHandle.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

The tiller handle is a piece of cake. Pretty well described above. There should be lots of them around. Most people took them off and tossed them into the boat for use as a catfish club. Go to www.aomci.org and place a free want ad on their Webvertize page. The same tiller was used on a whole host of motors.

To change the shaft length, the main ingerdient you need to find is the short drive shaft. You can merely cut 5 inches off the water tubes. Unless you are a real klutz, you can also cut 5 inches off the shift rod and file a new notch with a chainsaw file. Just be sure the new notch is exactly 5 inches down from the original.

PS, you didn't say, is it electric shift? If so, you don't even have to mess with a shift rod because there isn't any. The electric wire is the same, long or short.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

LOL @ "catfish club" So, that's what that blue thing that I took off of one of my '58 Bigtwins is! :D