how to make a DVA adapter for multimeter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to make a DVA adapter for multimeter

Someone (starts with BK and ends with THEKING) responded to a question about how to make a DVA adapter and sent a link to directions. but the link has been moved or deleted it said. Does anyone have those directions.....?

I gotta miss in this 81 Johnson V-4 and I gotta find out why.

Re: how to make a DVA adapter for multimeter

Originally posted by bonitasprings View Post
    Someone (starts with BK and ends with THEKING) responded to a question about how to make a DVA adapter and sent a link to directions. but the link has been moved or deleted it said. Does anyone have those directions.....?

I gotta miss in this 81 Johnson V-4 and I gotta find out why.
    Gimme a few seconds, it's fav'd on my work PC.
    sigpicSignature- If you have fuel and spark- Have you checked compression?

Comment

Originally posted by bktheking View Post
      Gimme a few seconds, it's fav'd on my work PC.
      http://switchbait.com/forums/showthread.php?t=561

That should do it.

Comment

Actually I changed my mind, that one's is crap. I printed out the missing one that you are talking about, give me a few minutes and I will make on my computer.

Comment

You will need:

1 pack of low profile chassis binding posts

Project box and board

Double Banana Plug

1N5404 Diode or smaller

2.2 uF cap @ 450 V

1 Megaohm 1/4 resistor

+ some misc wiring and soldering gun of course. Just make sure when you buy components they are rated for high voltage or pop goes the weasel.

Comment

Actually I changed my mind, that one's is crap. I printed out the missing one that you are talking about, give me a few minutes and I will make on my computer.
            This is the wiring diagram

For the cap that's VDC.

Comment

Excellent! You're awesome !

Now can you put it in electronic idiot terms !

put this next to that and solder it
              and then put that next to this and screw it

I don't understand electronic schematics.....! Got the parts list though!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by bonitasprings View Post
                Excellent! You're awesome !

Now can you put it in electronic idiot terms !

put this next to that and solder it
                and then put that next to this and screw it

I don't understand electronic schematics.....! Got the parts list though!

Thanks!
                You mean you don't have a geek like me in the family who can build one as fast as he wrote the instructions?

LOL, Now the question is, does it work?

Comment

You mean you don't have a geek like me in the family who can build one as fast as he wrote the instructions?

LOL, Now the question is, does it work?
                  That's my question, does it work? Have you actually tried it? I dunno, but 44mfd sounds like an awfully big capacitor to use. Seems like it would take an excessivly long time to charge it. Reckon I have to cobble one up and see how it does. BTW, I do understand the theory of operation. You are simply charging the capacitor through a half wave rectifier and measuring the voltage across the capacitor.

Comment

Originally posted by F_R View Post
                    That's my question, does it work? Have you actually tried it? I dunno, but 44mfd sounds like an awfully big capacitor to use. Seems like it would take an excessivly long time to charge it. Reckon I have to cobble one up and see how it does. BTW, I do understand the theory of operation. You are simply charging the capacitor through a half wave rectifier and measuring the voltage across the capacitor.
                    Not as yet, as soon as I have a motor to try it on, winter is here. Those caps are wired in series instead of parallel, in series their rating is halved, parallel doubled. Really they should be 23.5 uF combined, close enough to 22uF required by the circuit according to the guy who sold them to me at the electronics shop. I didn't design the circuit but the people that have built it say it works and yes your theory is correct, take some electronics courses F_R?

Comment

Thanks for that.
                      I've been wondering what component values were necessary.

Comment

Not as yet, as soon as I have a motor to try it on, winter is here. Those caps are wired in series instead of parallel, in series their rating is halved, parallel doubled. Really they should be 23.5 uF combined, close enough to 22uF required by the circuit according to the guy who sold them to me at the electronics shop. I didn't design the circuit but the people that have built it say it works and yes your theory is correct, take some electronics courses F_R?
                        Yeah my bad, when I go back and take a second look, the schematic does say 22mfd. Even so, that still sounds excessive to me. I gotta build one and see. Who me??? Take some electronics courses??? Yep. I have a diploma around here someplace that says I'm a TV repairman. But don't believe it, that was back when TV's had vacuum tubes. But I never did go to work in that field. I decided the TV repairman was the most underpaid guy in town, considering what he had to know.

Comment

I just tested it with a 3V and 9V battery and it read perfectly, no delay. I guess at 400V it would make a pretty good snap touching the leads together, the reading doesn't drop quicky cause of the caps. Once I test it on real voltage it might be good to put this in the top secret goodies.

Comment

Well tested your design and it seems to work well, just wonder how accurate it is?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rory140 V4 View Post
                              Well tested your design and it seems to work well, just wonder how accurate it is?
                              They say the needle meters are better for readings. I'm assuming you built in and it's the pic. Have you tried it out? Did it work as designed?

I didn't design it actually, I took a schematic and drew it for Bonita so he could build one.

Comment

Working...
                              X