89 Mariner 135hp -- Stator help needed

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Re: 89 Mariner 135hp -- Stator help needed

What is WOT rpm?
What boat is this on?
Your 135 should run in the range 5000 -5500 rpm WOT
Can not be sure without knowing the boat that it is on but...
The sysmtoms are those of too much prop.

CharlieB
Mariner 115 on a ProCraft V180
5900 WOT spining a SS 13 1/2 X 22
Maybe we should swap props and try them?

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

Here is mine

88 17.5ft champion bass boat
135hp Mariner
QuickSilver SS 23p prob.
Wide open throtle rpm is unknow yet. There have been to many people on the lake when i go to be able to realy go for top speed

I will get the rest of the demensions when i get home.

I ordered the Stevens DVA adapter for my DVOM to see if i can find anything in the ignition system.

I took it out the other day by myself and it did not do so bad. There was one time when i gave it full throttle and the boat just sat at 2000 rpm and would not go past it. I backed off the throtle and went back into it and it got up and went. I need to try again with me and another person on the boat to see what is going on.

studlymandingo

Commander

You really should find out the RPMs at WOT. That will give a much better indicator of how the motor is actually running. I'm not sure what the weight of that boat should be, but it is possible you are over-propped or possibly water-logged; both of these things would produce the symptoms you describe.

When you are "stuck" at 2000 RPM, are you on plane yet, or are you still trying to get over the "hump"?​

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If I understand correctly you are saying that it bogs MOST of the time but that SOMETIMES it will get up and run OK?

Intermittant problems as this are tough to figure out but check to see if your carbs have idle mixture screws or are of the fixed oriface and air bleeds.

Is it acting as if it is just a touch lean on the idle mixture, when the boat is lightly loaded it may work but get another person or two in and it bogs and can't get up?

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

The carbs are fixed no adjustments other then changing jets.

I still need to see how it acts with 2 people in the boat.

If I understand correctly you are saying that it bogs MOST of the time but that SOMETIMES it will get up and run OK?

Intermittant problems as this are tough to figure out but check to see if your carbs have idle mixture screws or are of the fixed oriface and air bleeds.

Is it acting as if it is just a touch lean on the idle mixture, when the boat is lightly loaded it may work but get another person or two in and it bogs and can't get up?

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

Still trying to get over the hump

You really should find out the RPMs at WOT. That will give a much better indicator of how the motor is actually running. I'm not sure what the weight of that boat should be, but it is possible you are over-propped or possibly water-logged; both of these things would produce the symptoms you describe.

When you are "stuck" at 2000 RPM, are you on plane yet, or are you still trying to get over the "hump"?​

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

how do you check for water log?

studlymandingo

Commander

A fairly simple way to check for waterlogging is to look up your boat on the NADA website, it will give you a dry weight. You can then go to a public scale like you would find at the county garbage dump, weigh your truck and boat, unhitch the boat and weigh the truck alone. Subtract the weight of the truck from the total weight of the truck and boat; there you have the weight of your boat as-is.​

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

Well i got the boat out this weekend with another person and the boat ran good. I did not have a single issue with bogging. I was able to get a wide open throtle rpm 5800 rpm doing almost 60 on the boat speedometer.

here are the specs on the prop

13 3/4 23P Quick Silver Laser II

the other thing thati noticed is that when i start tilting the motor inwards toward the boat the 2 exhaust vents go under water.

Now my question is if i raise the motor. how far can i raise it before i start having issues with it being to high.

Right now as it is the cavitation plate sits about even with the bottom of the transom but 2-3 inchines above the bottom of the boat. this is again on 88 champion 17.5 bass boat.

j_martin

Admiral

thanks gss036 for the reply but looking further into i think the motor is an 89 but the electrical is off of a 88 with a 16 amp circuit. The reason i think this is because the 40 amp circuits that I have seen have two pairs of yellow wires as mine has only one pair of yellow wires. I could be wrong though as this is all new to me.

If the yellow wires go to a little 3 terminal square box thingie (rectifier) on the starboard side, it's a 16 amp system. If they go to a more massive water cooled device on the back of the motor, it's the ole one coil 40 amp.

Unless yer boat is pretty light, i'd say you're probably overpropped, as others have suggested. If it doesnn't turn over 5 grand at WOT, and it's running strong, you have too high a prop pitch.

If you found the carb floats or jet sizes off, it's worth while to do a formal link and sync. If things don't happen in the right sequence and timing, it can get pretty wierd. I'd hazard a guess that your carb linkage pickup is either uneven or late in opening.

hope it helps
John

studlymandingo

Commander

the other thing thati noticed is that when i start tilting the motor inwards toward the boat the 2 exhaust vents go under water.

Now my question is if i raise the motor. how far can i raise it before i start having issues with it being to high.

Right now as it is the cavitation plate sits about even with the bottom of the transom but 2-3 inchines above the bottom of the boat. this is again on 88 champion 17.5 bass boat.

Sounds like you could stand to go up a bit. Do you have a water pressure gauge?

When you trim all the way up right now, do you get any blowout? If not then you should probably go up a hole or two; the reason I ask about the water pressure gauge is that you don't want to go up so high that you start to lose water pressure.​

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

No pressure gauge but i can get one if need be. As for blow out i am not really sure what this is sorry. I hope that means that is does not do it.

studlymandingo

Commander

No pressure gauge but i can get one if need be. As for blow out i am not really sure what this is sorry. I hope that means that is does not do it.

What I am referring to is when the prop "loses bite" in the water. The RPMs increase, but the speed decreases. When the motor is set up properly, the boat will want to do this at WOT when trimmed out fully.​

jjam_20

Seaman Apprentice

it has not done that yet but i will double check this weekend