1989 OMC SeaDrives 3.0L and more...

Randy803

Recruit
This is a long story with several questions.

I picked up a 1990 RenKen 2688 WA that was a bank repo and needed some work. Neither engine ran and one of the steering hydraulic shafts was broken on the Master Actuator on the starboard side. I made a new shaft on my lathe and that issue is resolved. I have a few hydro lines to get rebuilt then I should be good to go. The next issue is the motors. I found a piece of paper in the cabin that was from an attorney to a Marina talking about water in the gas and both engines being blown. I had hopes the power heads were replaced so I decided to run a compression check and it was pretty much 65PSI and each engine had a one cylinder that deviated about 5 PSI less at 61PSI. I found some crushed fuel lines behind the air intake cover and fixed those then cranked the engines. Lots of white smoke but it did seem to clear up some. Looks like I need to replace the plug wires also and maybe rebuild the carbs. The BIG question is from anyone experienced is SHOULD I go ahead and rebuild both of these power heads before wasting anymore time or should I run them?

Does anyone know where I might get PARTS for the OMC hydro steering system? I cannot find them anywhere.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1989 OMC SeaDrives 3.0L and more...

check out crowleymarine.com and you'll find they have online microfiche(parts diagrams) for the Sea Drive engines :cool:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the engines are basicly outboard engine horizonally mounted. parts for the outdrives, is like hunting hens teeth. before you put a lot of money into them, consider a transom rebuild and a refit. or hang to outboards on it. actually a used 225hp would probably give you the same total output.

Randy803

Recruit

I have outdrives already? Twin OMC Seadrive 3.0L outdrives. That last post confused me. Are you saying my outdrives arent worth fixing? Thanks...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Tashasdaddy is thinking of old OMC stringer sterndrives. But his advice is still sound. Seadrive parts are nearly impossible to find now and will only get worse. If you want to invest in that boat, consider a transom bracket and hang outboards.

Randy803

Recruit

Ok guys here is what I am thinking. Get rid of the two outdrives I have now and put in a Single Mercrusier V8 and outdrive. Basically convert the boat to sterndrive. Many of these 2688 came from the factory that way. I would lose the redundant engine and some cabin room but would gain fuel effeciency and be able to get part forever. Is this DOABLE? I know its got to be a MASSIVE project but is it realistic? Thoughts?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes, it will work will take a great deal of work, but will give you a reliable boat, left you a responce in the other post. part out the existing on ebay, recoup part of the cost.

sankanother1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have 100.00 for those old seadrives..

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Check your transom angle to make sure it's correct for a sterndrive. And don't count on it being more fuel efficient than a modern outboard.....