Wellcraft Throttle / Remote Control(?) Help?

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer
Please forgive me if this is not the right forum, but I didn't see one that fit much better (except perhaps the Wellcraft forum).

Anyway, I need a replacement throttle control (I believe its called a remote control??). Its a 1988 Wellcraft 220 and I don't know the part number. Would this be in the repair manual for the engine or perhaps the drive or some other manual? I've attached a picture with some items marked that I needed some additional input on.

Bear with me: (A-E are marked in the picture)
A = "bar" that slides in and out to allow throttle movement
B = Button to engage prop/drive
C = Brass bar from D to A
D = Top of throttle with push lever
E = Screws to adjust throttle friction and stiffness

The top of the throttle (D) is broken. I have taken it apart and verified that a piece of the plastic is cracked. (I would have posted the picture, but couldn't figure out how to get the size small enough).

Throttle Image

Questions/Comments:
1.) Apparently the "C" brass bar is supposed to move when you push the lever on the throttle and move the "A" bar to allow throttle movement. I can't see how this is supposed to work though (perhaps only because D is broken).
2.) How do I get "B" off/unscrewed??
3.) Apparently this throttle has been replaced because the screws in E are missing and actually aren't aligned correctly anyway.
4.) Where do I find the repair details and part number for this assembly? In the engine repair manual, the drive manual or some other manual? Its a quicksilver throttle assembly with the Trim swith and Trailer button to raise the drive up for trailering.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Please direct me to the correct forum if this is not the correct one.

Thanks again!
Chris

wcsparky05

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wellcraft Throttle / Remote Control(?) Help?

i would definitely get the manual, its an investment that will pay off as anyone mechanically inclined can do a lot of the maintanance reqiured to keep a boat running ship-shape. about you're throttle problem, i would get the stamp off your motor and begin cross referencing that with merc dealers or even cheaper online maybe. i would also get a second opinion as i'm no expert.

drewpster

Commander

I think you would be better off considering a new control opposed to fixing the one you have. The cables it uses are a standard cable used by many boat builders. For that matter, the control itself is probably an off the shelf item the builder bought and installed. It is possible to get an exact replacement if you want it but there are many types that are a direct replacement available. Or go for an upgraded model!

Iboats sells many, link below,
http://www.iboats.com/Single_Lever_Controls/dm/category_id.243446--*******.430094109--**********.870111708--view_id.243446--search_type.category

Last edited:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i gave Chris the same advice, new controller in his other post.

valkyr

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys and I'm going to follow up on the other post in the General Boating forum.

Here is the link to the other post if you would like to chime in with suggestions:

Link to Post in General Forum