Why Did You Buy Your Bayliner

JimB CA

Recruit
Re: Why Did You Buy Your Bayliner

Had another boat, it was damaged by rodents one winter. Couldn't afford to get it fixed. It sat in my back yard for two years, when I was able to do so, found the cost to be pretty high and more work than I could muster.

One of my friends mentioned there was a new dealership just a couple of blocks from his work location. Went in there to check them out as I had heard all the bad stuff from the early days.

What I saw was a large inventory of some very nice boats of all sizes and types. And best of all I could even afford some. After much talking with a salesperson, he pointed me to a trade in they had with only 20 hours on it. Paid cash, spent another $2000 adding electronics and extra top.

I have towed it form home to Canada, Washington, Oregon, and Nevada. I have never looked back as it has been very economical, reliable and good to me and all those that I have taken out.

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My 1983 1650 Capri BR is my 1st boat. I bought it off a coworker who bought a fishing boat off another coworker i.e. hand-me-down. Looking forward to my 1st season on the water in the Chain O Lakes, IL. 8)

NJDockDine

Recruit

I own a 2004 265 5.7L, bought new. I looked around, and couldn't justify paying more and getting less (less length, LESS BEAM, less power, etc) Everthing else in this size range had only an 8' beam and cost 20 grand more....why do that? So, no I don't have cherry wood cabinets, or granite counter tops...but everyone at my marina with a 'more expensive' boat of the same length wishes they had the room I have both in the cockpit and cabin!

ArnoldKraan

Cadet

I have a bayliner 1950 from 88. it has been giving me a lot of pleasure and I bought it 4 years ago.
It is not the really the perfect build boat, some cheap materials etc..... but it is running great, everybody how has been travveling with mine boat agreed that it was running great, smoothly and that with only 140 Hp.
So now I do need to repair some soft spots on of the inner bottom of my boat, but that is an easy job.
I love mine Bayliner ( I am living in the Netherlands, we have a lot al water).
Greetingd to all the bayliner lovers.
Arnold

ArnoldKraan

Cadet

I have a bayliner 1950 from 88. it has been giving me a lot of pleasure and I bought it 4 years ago.
It is not the really the perfect build boat, some cheap materials etc..... but it is running great, everybody how has been travveling with mine boat agreed that it was running great, smoothly and that with only 140 Hp.
So now I do need to repair some soft spots on of the inner bottom of my boat, but that is an easy job.
I love mine Bayliner ( I am living in the Netherlands, we have a lot al water).
Greetingd to all the bayliner lovers.
Arnold

Rob454

Chief Petty Officer

We got ours because both my wife and i lost intrest in our wave runners and we have a dog and going to the river was a pain because you neded up shuttling a bunch of people back and forth and we were limited on what we could take. besided my wife didnt ride at all considering her ski when we sold it had 35 hours on it and mine had 140. both ran great. I looked at other boats and the only other one that even remotely caught my eye was a Chris craft ( fiberglass kind) a late 80s early 90s model.
The owner was high when he was asking 8500$ for it in the middle of winter and it needed new upholstery all around and it only had a v6. I got my 19.5 bayliner with a v8 and Im going to repaint it and redo some of the interior this winter. I had to replace the motor and I rebuilt the outdrive but overall Im happy. i KNOW everyting about the boat and I can fix it all myself so I dotn need to wait for the service dept to get to it in 3 months or rely on some expensive mechanic
ROb

waterdog

Recruit

hello "bayliners"
I currently own a 1987 18' sea sprite bow rider, 150 mariner outboard, I am looking at buying a 1990 20' bayliner capri cuddy cabin w/ an I/O mercruiser
5.0 V8. The boat is in great shape and the price is below current value, which leads me to my question... Is there anything that I should be aware of before I consider buying it (pros, cons)?? I am encouraged though as I read through this thread, you all seem to enjoy your bayliner(s)!

n4wwl

Cadet

OK, I'm going to admit something that makes me look like a stupid chump. I knew nothing about boating, only that watching them on the river every year for the July 4 fireworks made me wish I had one too. On the spur of the moment, I decided to get one. Maybe I was suffereing from a mid-life crisis. Whatever it was, I acted.

After looking at pictures of different models on line, I decided I wanted a cruiser for me and the Admiral. And the Bayliners just looked the nicest to me. So I narrowed my search to a Bayliner.

But new boat prices seemed astronomical. So I bought a used 1990 Bayliner on eBay, sight unseen. Yes, that's right -- eBay -- sight unseen, no sea trial, no survey, nada. The scariest thing I have seen in some time is the notice that flashed on my computer screen when the auction ended: "Congratulations. You won the item. Please pay NOW." Of course, I hadn't informed the Admiral of my plan, and she didn't see this purchase in the same light when I finally broke the news.

And while the boat needed a little work, it is in great shape. I've only had it out a few times so far, but for the price I paid, I think it's been a wonderful investment. Frankly, if it sank in the slip tomorrow, I'd feel like I got my money's worth. Why? After taking the Admiral out for the first time, she kissed me and said "Thank you, I had fun." I hadn't heard that in a while. And the kids are excited that their dad is now a boat owner.

So call me stupid, or a daredevil, or whatever, I just think the investment is one of the gutsiest moves I've made in a while. Hopefully, the novelty for everyone won't wear off for some time.

Thank you Bayliner.

magster65

Commander

I bought my first Bayliner-an 89 2855 simply based on price. Never owned a boat and wasn't sure if I would like it. Loved it! Then bought a 270 Rinker--owned one season, but wanted a larger boat. Went to a boat show looking for 30 foot range---of all the boats I looked at, the 3055 offered the most room--and I thought, the best look. The cockpit offers the most seating and social area of any boat on the market. Then--came upon a pair of 305's side by side--one was a 2001 at 90,000 plus, one was a 2000 at 65,000--both brand new---which one do you think I jumped on! Loved the room--loved the look. Now--at the dock, 90% of the time everyone is on the back of our boat. On the water--we are running out in the lake or down the river while the more expensive boats are sitting at the dock. The economy is great (18 GPH at 25 MPH) we have all the amenities--air, heat, galley, shower, head etc, and over the past 6 seasons we've used some of the money we've saved to upgrade the canvas, carpet, added electronics and put in flat screens,etc. I'll put my Bayliner up against any Searay and laugh all the way to the bank!

Oh yeah... bash my boat :)

glennrow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i bought my 26" rendezvous 3 years ago. i wanted a deckboat so i would have plenty of room for the whole family and friends. also wanted something that was great for fishing,skiing,partying. looked for one for two years, drove 3 hours to get it ( only to have one go up for sale down the road a month later). price was also a major concern. i have heard all the negative things about bayliners, but other then issues with the force outboad, i really enjoy my boat.

sk214a

Recruit

I live in eastern NC and about 20-25 years ago Bayliner did have a bad rep, and did appear to be cheep. I have had a Sporcraft 16',75hp since 1995, So the reason I bought my Bayliner, my best friend decided to buy a bigger boat, a 2006 Trophy Pro 2002 WA. I was only looking around, not intending to buy and came across a 1998 Bayliner Trophy, 2002 Johnson 175 hp, and a 2006 tandem aluminum trailer. Looked brand new. Well I bought it, it ws well taken care of, runs great, except for needing trim tabs. And it is 25 hp more then my best friends boat, Now you don't think I can let him have something better or faster than me do you.
Some of the changes between the two are interesting when we put them side by side.

Bigprairie1

Commander

Ok, its an old thread but a good one.
I bought my 90'/18ft Bowrider Capri last year for a 'song' around these parts and so far I have had it out almost 35 times without incident. It has the Force 90hp outboard and the entire thing has something just north of 300-350 hours on it. It could use a few minor things (steering is getting stiff) and maybe add a tach and tilt/trim but that doesn't hinder its reliability.:) The boat has a good history of maintenance and storage and I believe that has what has kept this boat in reasonable working condition. Interestingly they are some excellent threads about this being the most important aspect of a boat purchase...however it often deteriorates into brand bashing anyways...oh well.
For its year, its a great forward looking boat definitely doesn't look like an ol' tank. It gets up and goes ok (lately 38+...near 40mph) with a 15 pitch prop. My wife loves it and thinks its a great thing.
No complaints at all at this point.
As for Bayliner (and of course, Force bashers)....I don't completely get it?? :confused::confused:
Undoubtedly the older/smaller Bayliners are entry level boats but whats wrong with that?...not everyone shows up driving a Lexus either....so there we are.
All Good:D:D
BP

sympilot

Recruit

The wife and I have had our 3058 since August of last year. My wife refers to the boat as "Her Happy Place". She always has a smile when we are on board and our daughter is always excited when on the boat.
We have never owned any kind of boat up until we bought her last year but we were prompted by going to an RV show in town and thought to ourselves would we rather camp on land or the water? hmmm.........Well we soon found ourselves at a Searay dealer looking at a 22ft day cruiser but decided that was too small for our family so what followed was 2.5 months of looking until we found our boat in Boattrader. Never looking back and heck, we take the tax break as we claim it as a 2nd home.

Richard

dinghy berry

Cadet

I bought mine because of the good deal the marina gave me on it. I bought a 2002 1950 bayliner classic bowrider for 7,000 imaculate condition and very low hrs on the motor....so i was sold...i had a rinker in 89 and that was also a good boat.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

After restoring and using our 14' 1965 MFG Niagara runabout for a few years, I started looking for pocket cruisers as our next boat. I found that the family oriented 15' - 18' Cuddy Cabin boats that were so popular in the 1960's and early 70's were no longer being made. The closest I could find in late model boats were 19' and up in cuddy's. And they were all I/O's, not my preferred outboard power.

I finally found what I wanted in a mid 80's Bayliner. A 16' Cuddy Cabin with outboard power. This particular boat was used in fresh water most of the time, stored in a garage, and showed good maintenance. Also the floor, stringers and transom showed no rot or signs of water damage. So I bought it.

I am currently making a hard top for the cabin so we can extend the boating season by going out in windy and cooler weather comforably in the protection of the hard top.

It was Bayliner that produced the boat I was looking for in a sleek 80's model. Last summer I took the boat out on the bay and ran her hard. It handled like a dream. So this year, it gets the hard top, motor mainenance, new steering cable and a possably a permenant fuel tank instead of two portable 6 gallon tanks.

I am really happy I bought this boat. With a 3 cylinder 85hp Force motor, it is very economical on fuel (even though the old Force is not head of its class for fuel economy) compared to larger boats. We will be able to spend a day out on the water, anchor at the beach of our choice, eat dinner on the boat and watch the sun set, and return to the marina all 6 to 10 gallons of gas. And because the 16' size is easy to tow, launch and retrieve, it saves a pile of money on boat slips or moorings.

Granted a bigger boat will have more space, but in light of the price of operating and towing larger boats, this boat fits my wallet.

bmac417

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 1993 Bayliner classic 1950. I got last year. Bought it for $1. Yep...thats right...$1. My grandfather bought it new back in 93. The boat has been a salt water boat all its life. It was aways well taken care of...except for the last few years as my grandfathers health declined. So I brought it back to ohio. Found out the head was cracked and the manifold was shot. So I put 1700 bucks into it, and it runs great. Interior is still in great shape, even after sitting the the South Carolina sun all these years. Just put a new 17 pitch prop on it, and it seems to have made a big difference. The gelcoat was shot when I got it. So I put some "poly Glow" on it...and it looks really good. Now I just need to get that nasy bluish green bottom salt wanter paint off of it and it will be fine. Nothing a good pressure washer wont take care of. Over all a great investment....and its great on fuel.

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I JUST bought my first Bay Liner, an 86 Capri 1950 with a Penta Volvo 225 (chevy small block) and 275 outdrive Bow Rider with a ShoreLander Trailer. Why this boat? You won't believe this but the boat had 79 hours on it and he traded it for a new boat. Now comes the amazing part.

I was looking at it on the dealers lot (pushed to the back of the lot) and I asked what they wanted for it. The dealer told me there was something major wrong with the boat engine because it was pumping oil into the bilge faster than you could pour it in the top of the engine. He thought it had a busted block.

He told me that as it was an older boat and his mechanics were up to their necks with work (being spiring time) they did not have time to put it in the shop and he didn't want to invest anything in it due to age.

I asked what was his bottom dollar and he said he would take $1,000 cash money. I figured heck, if worst comes to worst I can always find a small block Chevy so I forked over the grand and pulled it home last Wednesday with the intent of finding a new engine.

Long story short, I just had to see what was going on so I filled the engine with oil, hooked up the muffs and fired it up. The dealer was right, in 20 secionds or less the oil pressure gage to a nose dive and I shut it down and began looking. A quick look and all the oil had come out around the oil filter. Naw, it couldn't be that simple, could it?

Yeah, it was! I didn't think I would ever get the oil filter off. I have no idea what the person changing it had used but it was on so tight I destroyed it getting it off. The seal (o-ring) was torn and smashed flater than a pancake. Replaced the filter, tightened correctly, refilled the engine with oil and fired it up. Ran perfectly and not a drop of oil to be seen.

Am I happy with my $1,000 boat (and $4 oil filter)? Oh yeah!!!

... major score! prolly saw the Bayliner logo and figured its gotta be a blown motor and such a heap. congrats!

Johnny_Law

Cadet

I JUST bought my first Bay Liner, an 86 Capri 1950 with a Penta Volvo 225 (chevy small block) and 275 outdrive Bow Rider with a ShoreLander Trailer. Why this boat? You won't believe this but the boat had 79 hours on it and he traded it for a new boat. Now comes the amazing part.

I was looking at it on the dealers lot (pushed to the back of the lot) and I asked what they wanted for it. The dealer told me there was something major wrong with the boat engine because it was pumping oil into the bilge faster than you could pour it in the top of the engine. He thought it had a busted block.

He told me that as it was an older boat and his mechanics were up to their necks with work (being spiring time) they did not have time to put it in the shop and he didn't want to invest anything in it due to age.

I asked what was his bottom dollar and he said he would take $1,000 cash money. I figured heck, if worst comes to worst I can always find a small block Chevy so I forked over the grand and pulled it home last Wednesday with the intent of finding a new engine.

Long story short, I just had to see what was going on so I filled the engine with oil, hooked up the muffs and fired it up. The dealer was right, in 20 secionds or less the oil pressure gage to a nose dive and I shut it down and began looking. A quick look and all the oil had come out around the oil filter. Naw, it couldn't be that simple, could it?

Yeah, it was! I didn't think I would ever get the oil filter off. I have no idea what the person changing it had used but it was on so tight I destroyed it getting it off. The seal (o-ring) was torn and smashed flater than a pancake. Replaced the filter, tightened correctly, refilled the engine with oil and fired it up. Ran perfectly and not a drop of oil to be seen.

Am I happy with my $1,000 boat (and $4 oil filter)? Oh yeah!!!

Be sure to do a compression check. You don't know how long the previous owner ran the boat with all the oil in the bilge. Anyways for $1000 bucks you did yourself good. I spent that on my Chartplotter/Fishfinder.