You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

Black Mercs look good hangin' off the back of a Starcraft. :D. I an not biased. Much. :lol:

crankbait cowboy

Chief Petty Officer

that merc will work nicely on your tinner, good to see ya back at it

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Great find! The motor & trailer are tailor-made for your boat...I dig those retro hub caps! :thumb:

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bluefin now I am offended......I just rebuilt the other trailer and painted it!"..........the funny thing is your right it's almost the same trailer, if only I would have found all this a couple months ago, oh well.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys quick question???? When I took my motor off there was an extra piece of plywood mounted outside the transom. Is this for extra support, or protection of the aluminum from the mount digging in???? I have no problem putting a piece back on, I just want to completely understand................the piece I took off was 1/2" thick untreated plywood.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

It's not needed, but protects the surface (unless it's PT wood!). Some people make them from plastic cutting board material -HDPE- or aluminum etc.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

lakelover, Thanks, that is kind of what I thought but wanted to make sure. I was actually thinking aluminum but a piece of -HDPE- sounds even better. Thanks again.

InMotion

Commander

CP --- really not needed to be totally honest.... kinda protects the paint from getting scuffed up when mounting the motor is all that it really does. I was "convinced" :) not to put one on the last 2 boats and totally agree with that theory. I put a thin layer of aluminum on the Jupiter just to cover up the cruddy aluminum on the boat.

As always... it really is your choice... but the plastic route or a piece of aluminum would be my vote as well!

Keep it rollin' man....

J.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey guys quick question???? When I took my motor off there was an extra piece of plywood mounted outside the transom. Is this for extra support, or protection of the aluminum from the mount digging in???? I have no problem putting a piece back on, I just want to completely understand................the piece I took off was 1/2" thick untreated plywood.

I personally hate them and have deleted that piece from both my restores. You don't see those plates on any newer boats. In my opinion it only promotes possible future leaks especially if it's wood and the motor forces compress it a bit loosening up the fasteners.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IM and Ezmobee Thank you both for the input I think we will officially delete that little piece from the restore. Definitely seems more solid without it.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

photo 3.JPGphoto 1.JPG

So today was semi productive, It took about two hours to get back in the groove and figure out where I was and what actually was next...........So I finished all the front deck work and cut out new side panels, I am headed to the upholstery guy in the morning to get material ordered. Before any upholstery is done I am covering the front area with nautelex so that when fishing we can take the cushions out and still have coverage.

I also had forgot about a crack in my transom brace so on the way back from the upholstery guy I will stop at the welder and see if we can get it beefed up and fixed. I was thinking to add a piece of 1/4 inch flat stock up the face of the brace where the holes are, to strengthen it up. Anyone else beefed up the transom brace before?

Also I received my transom caps came in today and kudos to "MichealP" they look great.

GA_Boater

Plenty of repaired knee braces here, CP. I know BlueFin did a heck of a job on his.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will sneak over to his thread and check it out, Thanks GA

GA_Boater

BF has set the standard for tin work in the drydock. He has salvaged what most of us would have turned into beer cans. It hasn't been easy.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just cruised through his thread and think I will copy the knee brace repair..........easier then welding:)

dozerII

Admiral

Making good progress cp. Knee brace problems are a common occurrence, and BF's method of repair is second to none.

barato2

Commander

and quite possibly stouter, given that welding these crocks seems to risk inducing some other issues

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Met with the upholstery guy today and ordered the material, I will drop off the SS monday for him to do the work.....OUCH! little more than I expected but once I thought about how much work it is I realized I probably wouldn't touch it for that much, so we go forward..........The other thoughts that cross your mind are " maybe I don't need to do it this nice" but since we have come this far I don't want to cut corners on the finish.......That's my whine session....

I did get the front plywood decks covered with Nautelex....I glued the bottoms first with S-18 and then stapled the edges then cut the top piece big enough to wrap underneath an 1 1/2 ......before I pulled it around though I ran a bead of adhesive caulk on the edge so water can't work it's way around to the wood. I also routed the front edge so it wouldn't have a wear point on the sharp edge.photo 1-2.JPGphoto 3-2.jpgphoto 4.JPGphoto 5.JPG

Starting another job tomorrow so we will probably be a little slow till the weakened.

dozerII

Admiral

Nice job on the deck vinyl, that should not let water in for 40 or 50 years.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real nice work on the front deck.