"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

looks great CP!

a heck of alot better than when you got it :thumb:
attachment.php

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Bluefin I humbly take the SMACK DOWN!!:caked: Thanks for the reminder.

I have a quick question. I just ordered some 5200 so this is not about cutting corners. BUT.........why wouldn't a true waterproof silicone caulking work as good as say 4200 or 5200???

Attachments

• photo 1-4.JPG
    photo 1-4.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo 2-4.JPG
    photo 2-4.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Don't beat yourself up over the upholstery. Darn fine job if you ask me. :D

I don't like any silicone anything in a boat, especially a tinny. I find it will peel right off after curing. 53/4200 stick!

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As I said, pure curiosity I am using 3M.......makes sense. Thanks

dozerII

Admiral

From what I hear the only place silicone should be is in a bra and not one on a boat:facepalm::lol:

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The great info is endless here! Let's see if I got this right "The only place for silicone is in a bra and if it is in an aluminum boat it will peel right off" I would have never known any of that if it wasn't for the wisdom of GA and Dozer. Thank you guys for the info I will be VERY careful!!!

duke33

Petty Officer 1st Class

From what I hear the only place silicone should be is in a bra and not one on a boat:facepalm::lol:
That works for me. I'm a carpenter All the claims the silicone companies make is BS. It peels of everywhere but where you want it.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got the dashes cut out........I like the idea and the look but not sure on the finish. Polished one and its toooo bright and I don't want it blinding so I will attempt to sand it with 1000 and mute it down, I think it will be fine. Then I think I will shoot a clear over it. Also I need to make sure it's strong enough for the steering wheel.......may have to put some support behind it.

Attachments

• photo 1-5.JPG
    photo 1-5.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo 2-5.JPG
    photo 2-5.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

CP - you could use a wire brush for a brushed look. It still looks nice and bright and clean, but the brush marks break up the glare. I would work the brush from left or right, unless you're left handed. ;) In that case, from right to left. To be fancy, use a cup brush and make circular swirls for an engine turned look. Takes more time, but a nice look. Here's a sample from 64osby's Lone Star.

LSTransducerMount.jpg

barato2

Commander

i loved the idea someone linked to, where the guy was using a Roloc scotchbrite disc in a drill press to do a faux engine turned finish. ii'd start with that; afraid the wire brush might leave excessively deep marks that would look more like gouges.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Got the dashes cut out........I like the idea and the look but not sure on the finish. Polished one and its toooo bright and I don't want it blinding so I will attempt to sand it with 1000 and mute it down, I think it will be fine. Then I think I will shoot a clear over it. Also I need to make sure it's strong enough for the steering wheel.......may have to put some support behind it.

My newer SS has a console of only aluminum, and it was backed with 1/2" ply behind the steering wheel for support.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I tried a couple different looks and kept going back to clean muted look......so I sanded with 1000 and cleared them. I actually am very pleased with the look and the strength. I get my iboats shipment tomorrow which includes 5200, so I will be installing all the through bolts in the transom, then motor swap time. Hope everyone has a productive weekend.

Attachments

• photo 1-6.JPG
    photo 1-6.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 2-6.JPG
    photo 2-6.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 4
  • photo 4-3.JPG
    photo 4-3.JPG
    140.2 KB · Views: 4

GA_Boater

That looks nice, CP. Even better after the gauges are in.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^

Moving right along, looks good. I like the accent on the side panel vinyl.

dozerII

Admiral

The dash's look real good, the whole interior is looking real good.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys for the comments! jbcurt00 your touching one of my sore spots on the upholstery!!!! I like the accent also BUT they were supposed to be angled the other way......as in \\ and not //, that was one of my gripes........I even drew pictures for the guy!Oh well the admiral loved it so what can I say. As I said before nobody will ever know (until I whine:Cry:) just bugs me whenI had something in my mind.......and payed for it..........ok I am done just couldn't help it after jb touched it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Trust me, I won't touch it again :cold:

Be happy its the Admiral that likes it rather then doesn't. Because then there'd be a need for some rework....

barato2

Commander

i love the look of the aluminum dash panels, but maybe want to put something along back side of the lower edge so you don't chop your knees in a severe chop or when jumping up cuz a rod just went off?