You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

Well men the SS bottom is pretty much done, I may do a little touch up here and there, but for the most part she is polished out. Once I got started, I realized some of the stuff I thought would polish out would, but it would take alot of elbow grease. So I sanded it a little more thoroughly and it polished up alot quicker. So about 3 hours of sanding and then about 5 hours of polishing and the polishing part was me and my FIL.

I haven't completely figured out posting. I was trying to put some pictures in between some of my dialogue. Oh well, here are some pictures, pitted bottom, then the sanded bottom. I sanded it with 150, then 320, then 400, then 600.

Attachments

• pitted bottom.jpg
    pitted bottom.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 3
  • DA palm sander.JPG
    DA palm sander.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 3
  • after sanding.JPG
    after sanding.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 3

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then I polished with a 10" buffing wheel and used a green bar of compound. I could go over it again with a lighter compound but I think I am happy with it the way it is. I might add it is kind of a dirty job. But it cleans right off.

Attachments

• Little more.JPG
    Little more.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Mid polish.JPG
    Mid polish.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 3
  • done1.JPG
    done1.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 3
  • done2.JPG
    done2.JPG
    114 KB · Views: 5
  • polish face.JPG
    polish face.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 3

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looks good, all but that last pix.. :faint2:

Great work on the polishing.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Then I polished with a 10" buffing wheel and used a green bar of compound. I could go over it again with a lighter compound but I think I am happy with it the way it is. I might add it is kind of a dirty job. But it cleans right off.

CP - You work in a coal mine or you have one heck of a 5 o'clock shadow. How did you keep the t-shirt relatively clean? It is messy job but it's paying off. :encouragement:

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So now I will get the crack in the front welded up this week, then lightly sand all the green and head back out to the paint booth hopefully this next weekend and shoot the sides out and then flip her back onto her new home. I have a question for you guys. The keel rollers I took off had spacers on each side and the new rollers I bought are now to narrow. Are those spacers universal or do I need to buy rollers with spacers already on them?............Anyway I got new bunk material so I will redo the bunks in the next couple days........hope everyone has a great weekend.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CP - You work in a coal mine or you have one heck of a 5 o'clock shadow. How did you keep the t-shirt relatively clean? It is messy job but it's paying off. :encouragement:

GA-The compound is a little tacky so it doesn't stick to the shirt....obviously not the case with my face.....I had no idea it was that bad my wife was cracking up and when I asked her why she showed me the picture.

GA_Boater

GA-The compound is a little tacky so it doesn't stick to the shirt....obviously not the case with my face.....I had no idea it was that bad my wife was cracking up and when I asked her why she showed me the picture.

That's funny. :lol:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

The polishing looks good, you really brought it back to better than new. You're lucky to have the help on that job!

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Outstanding polishing job!!!

how large are the gaps between the roller and bracket?

dozerII

Admiral

That is the best polishing job yet, I believe I will try that method on a near project. For posting pictures you are far better off to upload them to a free Photobucket account, then copy the img code and paste it where you want it in your post.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is the best polishing job yet, I believe I will try that method on a near project. For posting pictures you are far better off to upload them to a free Photobucket account, then copy the img code and paste it where you want it in your post.

Dozer thanks for the upload help makes sense........also guys realize that this method is not just for the boat itself but works GREAT for all the trim pieces........I will be doing all the trim this with a little wheel it goes really quick.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Outstanding polishing job!!!

how large are the gaps between the roller and bracket?

Bluefin I will check but I think about 1 1/2" on each side but will verify.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

oooh...that's big. I wonder if you ordered keel roller diameter instead of length (i.e. 5" diameter for an 8" bracket?)

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok I was off.......my roller that I bought is 11 3/4" wide and my bracket is 12 3/4 wide. My old roller has spacers on each side that take up that 1/2 ". I bought the new rollers at Bass Pro and they were the only ones they had, so I will dig around and see if Incan get some spacers or possibly a different roller that fits. I do NOT want to modify the trailer at this point.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CP I think you should have a little wiggle room on the rollers just in case the boat dosn't come in centered on the trailer. If it is to much you could fill in with some flat washers I think. Just my .02 worth

dozerII

Admiral

Ok I was off.......my roller that I bought is 11 3/4" wide and my bracket is 12 3/4 wide. My old roller has spacers on each side that take up that 1/2 ". I bought the new rollers at Bass Pro and they were the only ones they had, so I will dig around and see if Incan get some spacers or possibly a different roller that fits. I do NOT want to modify the trailer at this point.

Grab a cheap cutting board from the dollar store, they are 1/2"thick. Use an inch and a half hole saw to cut washers, then open up the hole in the center to the size of your roller axel.

GA_Boater

Grab a cheap cutting board from the dollar store, they are 1/2"thick. Use an inch and a half hole saw to cut washers, then open up the hole in the center to the size of your roller axel.

That's a great idea for spacers! And cheap. :)

barato2

Commander

truly, El Dozer is the Dean of Bottom Feeders. great idea, and one that has uses other than trailer rollers, i suspect.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Now I can handle that kind of work!!!!! Thank you sir!

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Different cutting board materials are good for other purposes too, like ladder steps. - Grandad
100_4244.jpg