You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

I bookmarked Mike's thread under ANTI-SKID coating run AMOK..... Used about $50+ on the tape alone :facepalm: But yep, turned out great!

barato2

Commander

i coated the entire topside (bow cap and gunwales) and the interior of hull on my holiday with Durabak. pricey stuff and a bear to apply, but i like it so far. traction is beyond awesome (so good you could skin your knee if you fell on the deck). application required doing entire area in 36 grit to leave big tooth, and you have to use their special primer. overslop is a NIGHTMARE to get off, so mask well and clean up any slop before it dries. i had to use a hammer and chisel to remove some blobs which had stcuk to bottom of hull through a layer of damp dirt in bilge! you can see the whole sordid process early on in my Holiday thread.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Productive couple of days, I put in an extremely long day at work on Thursday (20 hrs.:grumpy:) so I had Friday competely open.
So I got the rest of the trim polished and sanded down all the painted areas, 150 on the bad spots then 220, and 400 on everything else. Woke up early this morning and hauled her out to my FILs shop, set her up on my home made boat holder, then masked her up, sprayed all the bare spots with etching primer, let it dry, then lightly scuffed those spots. Wiped the entire thing down with prep cleaner, then with a tack cloth and sprayed her out with 3 coats of Urethane paint. Let it set for a couple hours and was back home by 2:00 p.m. I feel like this is a turning point in the project. I am sure I have lots more hurdles but at least now each step is going toward going back together.

Attachments

• prepped boat2.JPG
    prepped boat2.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 3
  • in the booth1.JPG
    in the booth1.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 2
  • in the booth3.JPG
    in the booth3.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 3
  • red boat6.JPG
    red boat6.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 3
  • red boat7.JPG
    red boat7.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 3

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some more pics.

Attachments

• red boat1.JPG
    red boat1.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 3
  • red boat2.JPG
    red boat2.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 3
  • red boat3.JPG
    red boat3.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 3
  • red boat4.JPG
    red boat4.JPG
    104.7 KB · Views: 3
  • red boat5.JPG
    red boat5.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 3

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just in case someone wants to know, I ordered my material from TCP Global's Restoration Shop and was very happy with there product. My FIL said it flowed and sprayed very well.

Attachments

• material.jpg
    material.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1

jbcurt00

Staff member

Awesome. The highed polished hull and red look fantastic!

Congrats. Does your FIL need anymore SIL's? The mob could keep him busy for a good long while :rolleyes:

I think I know the paint scheme for my first to be finished aluminum boat.

What are you planning to use to keep the hull shiny? SharkHide?

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Jas and yes sir JB I will touch it up then coat it with shark hide.

InMotion

Commander

Looks awesome man... love the red and polished hull look!

J.

Weep'n Willy

Master Chief Petty Officer

That paint job is quite inspiring in itself. Very nice!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nice job CP. Red and shiny AL go real nice together.

PS - Do you have boat holder plans for sale by any chance? :lol:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Wow man! That's sure to turn a few heads!!! WELL DONE!!!!

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the comments guys and GA that holder is VERY high tech,,,,,,hold a piece of plywwod up to the back of the boat, trace the shape and grab the jigsaw then screw it to an old set of wood horses,,,,,,,told you VERY technical!

dozerII

Admiral

Boat is looking real good cc, love the red color and the polish. Looking forward to seeing the interior come together.

GA_Boater

Thanks for the comments guys and GA that holder is VERY high tech,,,,,,hold a piece of plywwod up to the back of the boat, trace the shape and grab the jigsaw then screw it to an old set of wood horses,,,,,,,told you VERY technical!

Darn - It takes tools, guess that's the high tech part. :laugh:

The holder still let you put a heck of a nice paint job on her. Looking forward to seeing her on the water turning heads. :D

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Surely someone in the starmada has a formula,or good notes, for how many swim noodles it takes to fill a 16' SS. If not lets start a pool and take guesses. My guess is 60.

InMotion

Commander

Surely someone in the starmada has a formula,or good notes, for how many swim noodles it takes to fill a 16' SS. If not lets start a pool and take guesses. My guess is 60.

Seems to me it was around that number or a bit more. I also added some purple board on top to smooth things out and make it nice and rigid right at the floor level. I bought a box of noodles... just can't remember the exact amount. Sorry no formula's for this one. Try it. If you end up with too many... then use them for swimming!

J.

GA_Boater

Zero- I use foam board and get more flotation per $. And more flotation per cubic foot also. My opinion.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Zero- I use foam board and get more flotation per $. And more flotation per cubic foot also. My opinion.

Ok GA, don't leave me hanging here.....what foam board did you use? I am not locked into noodles but was't going to pay 70 bucks for a 2x4 piece of foam either.