107.8 KB · Views: 2
  • TP7.JPG
    TP7.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 2

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: You Guys Inspired Me!!!!

Looks like a great FIL to have......

Trailer turned out great, and goes to show what good prep & setup can do for you.... Primer & paint and in & out of the booth in 1 day........ Awesome.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys it feels good to make some progress after being buried in work,.........JB the priming part I did a few weeks ago so all we had to do was scuff it wipe it down and shoot it, but yes it was a good day.

dozerII

Admiral

Trailer looks real good cp, I like the color choice, work always seems to get in the way of boat building , but then again it pays for the boat building.

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CP the trailer looks great. I like the color choice and the metallic paint just looks like custom work. Good to see you getting back to boat work.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got a free afternoon and drug the SS out and got one whole side stripped:D I actually figured out a little trick with stripping. If you set the small putty knife at 90 deg. to the boat surface and pull it toward you instead of scraping in the traditional way, it literally cuts your time in at least half. Not sure why it works so much better but it does for sure! Before I rolled her back behind the gate, I had to polish a little just to see how long it is going to take. The verdict is, not that long. I did about 2 square feet in about 10 minutes and that was kind of playing around with the different compounds. So hopefully tomorrow I will get the other side stripped and polish her out on Saturday.

Attachments

• ss polish1.JPG
    ss polish1.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 2
  • sspolish2.JPG
    sspolish2.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 2
  • sspolish4.JPG
    sspolish4.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 2
  • sspolish5.JPG
    sspolish5.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 2
  • sspolish7.JPG
    sspolish7.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 2

InMotion

Commander

Got a free afternoon and drug the SS out and got one whole side stripped:D I actually figured out a little trick with stripping. If you set the small putty knife at 90 deg. to the boat surface and pull it toward you instead of scraping in the traditional way, it literally cuts your time in at least half. Not sure why it works so much better but it does for sure! Before I rolled her back behind the gate, I had to polish a little just to see how long it is going to take. The verdict is, not that long. I did about 2 square feet in about 10 minutes and that was kind of playing around with the different compounds. So hopefully tomorrow I will get the other side stripped and polish her out on Saturday.

CP --- polishing looks flippin' awesome man!!!

I know you mentioned before in general what tools you were using for polishing, but I was wondering if you could share with all specifically what tools make/compounds/polishing wheels you used? Sure came out Purdy! That's a mirror finish!!!!

Thanks,

Jim

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jim, I actually got the rest of the bottom stripped today and don't have to work tomorrow so I plan on polishing. I will take good pictures of tools and compounds and if you have further curiosity's just ask.

dozerII

Admiral

That is an awesome polish job cc, looks like your just using a polishing wheel and rouge?

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, weather here today was nasty........sunny and 80 deg. but,,,,,it was blowing about 40 mph, so I didn't work on the boat until late this afternoon. at this point I am sanding the entire bottom down with 60 grit in all the bad spots then 120 on the entire thing then 320 then 600. Then get out the buffing wheel.

In response to InMotions question, I found a great site with a good explanation of how to polish aluminum, I will post the link here. I don't do it exactly like they do but very close and as I work through mine I will keep posting tid-bits.

How To Buff And Polish - Caswell Inc

If you remember I had a pretty big dent in the bow, I dollied it out sanded it down and buffed it out this afternoon.

Attachments

• bow of boat.JPG
    bow of boat.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 3

AJGeorge

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the link, intersesting reading there. The polising looks great, like a mirror. I think you could get carried away and decide to do the whole boat. LOL, keep up the nice work tho.

BonairII

Commander

The polishing looks great.

Only problem I could foresee....is that boat that shiny may spook fish.

cpdchap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I guess the two things that didn't allow me to be worried were:

1. The nasty water I usually fish in:joyous:
2. I polished the pontoon we had and it didn't stop us from slaying the fishies.......I truly hope I am right or I will be out there with a rattle can of black covering it up :facepalm:

I figured I would let you see the water I frequent and the shiny pontoon.

Attachments

• polished pontoon.jpg
    polished pontoon.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 3
  • untitled.png
    untitled.png
    113.9 KB · Views: 3

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

In response to InMotions question, I found a great site with a good explanation of how to polish aluminum, I will post the link here. I don't do it exactly like they do but very close and as I work through mine I will keep posting tid-bits.

How To Buff And Polish - Caswell Inc
Lookin' Good! Thanks for posting the link...takes some of the guesswork out of the consumables! :thumb: