What size bearing buddy do I need?

rasnattydred

Seaman
How do I figure out what size bearing buddy I need? Also is there a specific grease gun I should get? I bought a basic one and it just sucks, grease comes out of everywhere and barely through the tip.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What size bearing buddy do I need?

Most boat axle trailers use 1.980 hub grease cap or bearing buddy. Grease guns are messy in general. Some times it helps to hold the fitting on the gun tight to the fitting on the axle. However they do make different size fitting for the gun but most of the time the fitting that came with the gun will fit your bearing buddy.

a70eliminator

Captain

The grease fitting is called a GREASE ZERK and they are all a standard size, they do come in elbows, 45, and straight, your grease gun needs to snap onto the ZERK you have to have it staight on, if you gun has a flexible hose it can be challenging without a third hand to pump the lever thats why i don't care for those flexible hose guns. If you still cant get it to take grease then the ZERK may be gunked up, they can be removed and cleaned or replaced.
Again, if grease just blows out the side of the tip your more than likely just not positively snapped onto the ZERK.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

Get a grease gun with the pistol grip trigger not the pump handle. It is a lot easier because you can do it one handed.

rasnattydred

Seaman

Get a grease gun with the pistol grip trigger not the pump handle. It is a lot easier because you can do it one handed.

I don't see any pistol grip grease guns, do you have an exmple?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

http://www.etrailer.com/pc-grease~L30416.htm

L30416.jpg

Also make sure your connections on the grease gun are tight and snug, these suckers leak dont know why. I have the 15 Harbour freight one and it works great..

vintage boat junky

Seaman Apprentice

1.980 is usually the standard, but it differs from the size of the axle. What kind of trailer do you have and do you know the axle size?

One thing I ran into is that 1.980 isn't really 1.980. Since our asian friends have been making them, it's actually 1.987 causing the BB to fight going on the hub. I had to have it lathed down to normal size despite the box advertsing the standard 1.980 size.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

1.980 is usually the standard, but it differs from the size of the axle. What kind of trailer do you have and do you know the axle size?

One thing I ran into is that 1.980 isn't really 1.980. Since our asian friends have been making them, it's actually 1.987 causing the BB to fight going on the hub. I had to have it lathed down to normal size despite the box advertsing the standard 1.980 size.

I had a similar issue as u did, except mine was the dust caps were too small and kept falling off the hub. Even the new ones that came with the axle and hubs. Theres a few red eyes bearing buddys on clearance at walamrt for 10bucks i might give them a try.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hopefully related to this thread, Bearing Buddy recommends we use #2 grade lubricant, the stuff used for auto suspensions, and not to mix different grades.

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class

NLGI #2 Grease is common. They say not to mix because the different grades have different temperature ratings addictives. Stick with a Marine Bearings grease and you will be fine.

With semi trucks we use NLGI 1 grease for extreme pressure and temperature