Walleye or Pickerel

FrozenFish

Cadet
Re: Walleye or Pickerel

Whitefish are in the trout and char family, there are several differnt species of whitefish throughout the United States.

NOSLEEP

Commander

Pike patties YUM !!<br />Lots of white fish out this way. I like them <br />smoked. we have rocky mountian white fish, and<br />lake white fish. not sure how to tell them apart<br />but you find them were their name indicates.

ebbtide176

Commander

i'm probably the 'odd man out', because i always kept/ate jackfish back when i was in S GA. i'd cut the bigger (4#) ones down the middle like a filet, and fry them. i could just put a fork under the backbone and pull it all out on one side, and use my fingers to pull the other sides bones up/out. i really liked the jackfish meat.<br /><br />JB brought up bowfin in another forum. i think thats the same fish called 'mudfish' in S GA. uuuuugly, good fighters!

bKelly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mellowyellow,<br /><br />The largemouth blackbass is a large mouth bass. <br /><br />
bass_lm_sm.jpg

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I guessed that, but have never heard it called by<br />that name...<br />thanks!<br />M.Y.

FrozenFish

Cadet

Largemouth and Smallmouth bass are considered black bass as Stipers and Whitebass are considered white bass

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

I thought the Striper was a Yellow Bass ?

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll never understand.<br /><br />Large mouth and small mouth bass are not bass, but are sunfish.<br /><br />White bass are bass<br /><br />Man, I have a fishing encylopedia that gives me so much information I can't read it. The darn book is 7 lbs. Builds muscle when trying to hold it so I can read it though.

FrozenFish

Cadet

Largemouth and Smallmouth are in the Sunfish family but are considered bass.<br /><br />Stripers are not Yellow Bass, Yellow bass are closely related to whitebass but rarely top the 2lb. mark.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Oh man! :eek: Scoop, you mind lending me that book when you're done?

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I fish walleye and pickerel tournements all year there is a decernible difference, Pickerel have 1 more rib an additional spike on the dorsel fin have a somewhat courser scale they tend to be a bit more yellow then walleye although that can be regional, for example when you fish kenora they tend to have a lighter flakier flesh and tend to have a darker bottom where as when you fish eastern ontario they are darker. they are related to the pike family from cross breading they tend to be larger generally when you reach the 12lb range they are pickerel. A true virgin walleye is actually blue skinned commonly called blue althougfh studies have indicated that there is a yellow walleye that is genwtically pure they are very rare and rarely exceed 8 lb are generally found in northern pristine water. Their scales are much smaller they also have no teeth on the back 1/2 of thier tongue, where as a pickerel does in most cases. their flesh is flakier laced with a fair amont of intra muscular fat ( makes a much better eat) thier spawning cycle also differs a blue will walleye will spawn 3 - 6 weeks before a pickerel. for the most part they appear to be the same fish but genetically they are very different. A true walleye is very difficult to aqua culture whereas a pickerel is easy. A pickerel is more suceptiple to liver fluke and has a body core tempeture that is 3 - 5 higher that is why pickerel tend to when avaliable be in deeper water. off the top of my head thats about all I can remember

NOSLEEP

Commander

Hello Miloman. At last, I new some one would<br />eventually come out of the closet and say their 10 cents worth,.. about walleye & pickerel, I figured they just might be from Ontario too.<br />Miloman, "Pickerel" is actually the diminutive (least) form of the word "pike", and literally defined means "little pike".<br />The walleye actually belongs to the perch family and is not diminutive. In fact, it is the largest member of the genus. There are three pickerels in the Esox family: chain, redfin, and grass pickerels. All have an elongated body similar in shape to the pike.The redfin pickerel usually has several vertical bars along its sides and amber to red-hued fins, for which it is named.There are more notched or heart-shaped scales on the flank than the grass pickerel. the<br />belly is amber to whitish. the eye is yellow to<br />yellow-green and black bars radiate from the eye. Life span is seven years. Females grow faster, are larger and live longer than males.<br />The word "pickerel" is not to be mistaken for walleye,which are often referred to in eastern Canada, especially Ontario, as pickerel.<br /><br />Pickerel all-tackle world records<br />Grass pickerel:Esox americanus vermiculatus 1990 Dewart Lake, Ind .45kg (1pound)<br />Redfin pickerel: Esox americanus americanus <br />Redhook New York 1988 0.87kg (1 pound, 15 ounces)<br />Chain pickerel Esox niger<br />Homerville, Ga 1996 4.25kg (9 pounds,6 ounces)<br />Canadian record 1998 doctors lake, N.S. 2.44KG<br />(5 Pounds, 6 ounces.)<br /><br />The other story is a fairy tail :p <br />So if you are a professional pickerel fisherman<br />you will want to know what you are talking about<br />and know you do ;)

D

DJ

Hey all,<br /><br />I thought this one was over.<br /><br />About the only things that pickerel and walleye share is;<br /><br />1. An elongated body.<br /><br />2. They are "toothy" fish.<br /><br />2. They're both fish of relatively cold fresh waters.<br /><br />The Pickerel is of the pike/muskellunge family.<br /><br />The Walleye is of the Perch family.<br /><br />Regional differences in coloring, etc., exist in both.<br /><br />I doubt many graduates of freshwater marine biology today could tell the difference between a pickerel and a pike, size/age not withstanding. <br /><br />The Walleye is a different story.<br /><br />Lay a Northern Pike and a Chain Pickerel next to each other. Other than size, sometimes, only the colorings and markings are different.<br /><br />Lay a Walleye and a Yellow Perch next to each other. The two look identical other than size markings and the eyes.<br /><br />Try this test-I've done it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Re: Northern Pike.. Jack...yada yada yada.<br /><br />I learned a new trick from an old fisherman this year. He says it makes Northerns taste better. I'm not sure, maybe, but they look better.<br /><br />After he catches one, he puts it on a stringer, holds it over the side of the boat, and cuts its throat. Then he drops it in the water to let it bleed out. After a while he puts it on ice.<br /><br />You would have to see it to believe it. His fish were as white as walleye, mine were yellow.<br /><br />Does anyone else do this???<br />With any other species???