Fishing Marco Island Florida

Kramer

Seaman Apprentice
I’ll be spending some time on Marco Island in February and am hoping for some tips and insight on fishing in the area. It’s more of a family vacation than a fishing trip, gonna take the kids to Disney and hang out on the beach, but I figure I’ll have a chance to fish and I am excited to fish the ocean. I have been a long time freshwater fisherman in New York and have never fished in the ocean. We’ll be staying with some friends and I’m told they have a boat. I’m planning on bringing one rod and reel but have no idea what, if anything, else to bring. I don’t even know what test line to put on the reel I’m bringing!! <br /><br />Any tips on what I can do to prepare, what test line to put on my reel and what I might expect to catch, and anything else I might want to bring would be appreciated. I assume I’ll be able to pick up a license when I get there. Thanks in advance for your input.<br /><br />Giddyup!!!<br /><br />Kramer

nightride

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Fishing Marco Island Florida

Hi kramer youll like fishing there We have the best fishing dont know what size boat your friend has so if your fishing in shore light tackle will be fine with 10lb test if your going to fish off shore you will need a bottom fishing rod and reel which your friend should have we have big Grouper snook, red amber jack and some big sharkssuch as hammerheads last month a guy caught a 250lb grouperjust dont be to shocked are waters arent deep its based appx 1 foot per mile so 50 miles out your in 50 feet of water but the fish are there marco island is a really nice place the fishng is great down there fish around the reefs good luck and have a great time here in florida

Kramer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Fishing Marco Island Florida

Nightride:<br /><br />Thanks for your input, I'm really looking forward to it! I'm surprised by your comment on the depth, I guess I've seen "little mermaid" and "finding nemo" too much and I just assumed the water was much deeper. I'll be happy just to catch something!!!<br /><br />Thanks again<br /><br />Giddyup!!!<br />Kramer