THE BIGGEST FISH I EVER CAUGHT

GF

Seaman
I would like to know the size and weight of the biggest fish ever caught by members of this forum and where. For myself I live in Nova Scotia Canada, I once caught an Atlantic Cod fish that was so big I took a picture of it and when I developed the picture the NEGATIVE weighed 22 pounds. Thats as true as I'm sitting here.<br /><br />Gary<br /> :D :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: THE BIGGEST FISH I EVER CAUGHT

On Father's day, 1983, I was trolling for dolphin off Ft. Lauderdale using multi-purpose fresh/salt water tackle. I was in my 1966 Boston Whaler Sakonnet 16. My teaser, a 12" marlin lure, was on a Fenwick muskie rod with an Ambassaduer 7000 loaded with 20# mono. I got a strike on the teaser!<br /><br />Several hours later I brought alongside a blue marlin about 8' long. Onlookers estimated the fish at 275#. I grabbed the bill, released the hook and turned her loose.<br /><br />If I had several lifetimes. . . this is the fish for all of them.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class

JB I get it, you like whalers because you actually fish for whales? My biggest fish is bait for yours, but I caught it in a rowboat the same size as your fish!<br /><br />A few summers back near Desolation Sound in dog days of August when there are not supposed to be any salmon around I'm the only guy out and I'm in a 9 foot Davidson fishing a tidal current around a point with my trusty rowboat rig, a 10' "glass" rod from the dawn of time with a basic daiwa spinning reel, 8 lb test line and a buzzbomb on the end. Tides in full flood and currents building to a couple of knots so I have to row like crazy down to one end of the point and drift back to other in a few minutes jigging and trying to catch a particular drift into an eddy. Finally got the drift I wanted and just as I settled into the heart of the eddy, BOOM, rod goes down, reel just screams and I had me a 30 pound white spring on and sounding where no 30 lb springs were supposed to be. 45 minutes of trying to keep my backing on later and she's in the boat and there's not much room for anything else. I'd be lying if I said it's hard to row with three feet of salmon lying in the bilge between your legs, but you do need to watch where you put your feet.<br /><br />By early evening there's 11 boats out fishing that same drift. They got nothing. Hasn't been close to a 30 lber caught there since. Can't recall one being one caught before. Only problem is that was my favourite spot and even now still feel a little guilty fishing it because I figure I've had my share.

kenh1010

Seaman Apprentice

fishjump1.gif
My personal best is a 25# King Salmon.
fishing1.gif

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ahoy, SuzukiDave.<br /><br />275# is a pretty small blue marlin. And you don't eat it, you release it.<br /><br />30# is one heckofa spring salmon. The filets, marinated in teriyaki and ginger and then smoked with alder are worth killing for! Add a glass or two of Aussie red wine (I prefer Lindeman's Bin 40 Merlot) and I'll swap you a marlin for it any day.<br /><br />A great catch. Congratulations.<br /><br />Red sky at night. . .<br />JB :)

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have caught numerous bass but the largest and my most memorable was one I caught while on leave from the Marine Corps back in 1983. I went home (Southern Mississippi)to visit my younger brother and we decided to try some fishing. He took me to this small private farm pond that he said no one ever fished. We caught several nice bass in the 4-5 pound range. I decided to climb out on an old pine tree that had fallen into the pond and dangle a four inch green back shiner around the submerged tree limbs. After only a couple jigs with that shiner something hit that almost pulled me off the tree trunk. After a lenghty battle to get the fish from around all the tree limbs I finally pulled it to the bank. My little brother Dennis almost fell over backwards when he say the fish. The fish weighed in at 13lbs 7 oz. Dennis said he would love to catch one like that. I returned the bass back to the little pond and told him that he had the next shot at her when I came home again. That was my biggest bass and unfortunately the last time I got to fish with Dennis. He had a heart attack and died a year later. I miss fishing that little pond but I surely do miss Dennis.

redfisher

Cadet

32 pound jack crevalle fort morgan alabama<br />lee,<br /><br /><br />Tight Lines and Screamin Drags :D

Fouled Plug

Ensign

The fishing is always good here in Southeast Alaska, but one day early this summer took the cake. I was casting for Dolly Varden near the outlet of a tidal lagoon, and nailed a big one. Just as I nearly had it to the net, a fat Coho salmon grabbed the trout and made for the deep. Lucky for me, a 200# halibut snorted up the salmon. It was quite a struggle getting that big halibut in, and when we finally got it gaffed we saw why. Clinging to the halibut were half a dozen big Dungie crabs and a few <br />pounds of shrimp. But the real corker was the six-pack hung up on his tail. Must've been dropped overboard by some other boat. Wish I'd taken a picture of that one...... :D

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Fouled....<br /><br />Wow. Talk about luck! A free six pack of beer! Man...

EVMIII

Seaman Apprentice

I was tuna fishing in 1989 in the atlantic of the coast of N.C. and hooked about a 200 pound tuna, good fight and then line slacked. Thinking I had lost the fish I disappointedly reeled in my line only to discover directly beneath my boat was a 10 foot hammerhead and the remaining half of my still hooked tuna. Combined weight estimated at 700 pounds. Promptly cut my line. :eek:

Deathray

Cadet

I just discovered this sight & I love it. Last winter I caught a 54 lb sturgeon in the Sacramento delta. I was proudest of the 12-8 bass I caught growing up in Columbus Ga. :)

SeaRay245

Petty Officer 3rd Class

biggest so far was a 18lb walleye sounds small compared to what u guys catch but its big for around here

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

A one hour battle for a 80" Sailfish. I was a life dream come true, on vacation charter in Tulum Mx.May 2001. Four of all caught fish by luck of the rotation mine was the largest.

jredmond

Cadet

Fourty-five plus inch, 37# Striped Bass caught in the suds of Cohasset, Mass on a live eel. Biggest landed fish of my young career. <br />Now, being a surf caught fish, it's the equivalent of a 48# Striper from a boat :p :rolleyes: :eek: ... Biggest boat striper was a mere 30 pounds but I'm only boating 3-4 times per year.<br /><br />(keep in mind, I'm a big-fat guy)<br />
91530b.jpg
<br /><br />*** just to note - this wasn't my biggest - this was a 32# stripster that I got a few days after the biggun - but it's the biggest I have a picture of - I release 98% of my keepers***

NJBOATS

Cadet

i got a 50 lb bass up here in jersey. took a big old bunker chunk. i was top dog till my friend got a 60 lb one this year. hope all your holidays are good ones laters

Pursuit2150

Chief Petty Officer

NJBOATS, You should have been in the long beach island fall tornament, the top prize went to a 56#15oz. Tell us how you caught the fish, and about the battle.

trollhole

Chief Petty Officer

47.3 lb Flathead catfish on 20year old Zebco 202, Lake Hartwell, SC.<br />3.1 lb Crappie, Lake Hartwell, SC.<br />5.2 lb Founder, Charleston, SC.<br />15 King Mackeral, Eddisto Island, SC.<br />8lb Large mouth zebco 202 Diboll, TX.<br />15 lb Dolphin, Eddisto Island, SC.

davidd267

Cadet

I caught a 57 pound cobia yesterday then I hour later caught a 48 pounder. It took me five minutes to put the big one in the boat he didnt really put up a fight untill he got in the boat once in the boat he destroyed two tackle boxes one fishing pole knocked me down breaking (feels like its broke anyhow) my tailbone and dumping over my cooler. Second fish fought like a devil for over one hour.

buckeye angler

Recruit

My biggest came this last September at Lake Nipissing, Ontario. Caught and released a 36 pound Muskie, 48" long.