What do you pull your boat with?

cptnmcluvin

Seaman
Re: What do you pull your boat with?

Vincechiq1975, it depends....

I tow my 19 foot SeaRay (~3,000 lbs) with my 06 Subaru Outback 2.5i 4 cylinder motor (165 HP) and a 5 speed manual. It works fine on level terrain and for local towing. I'm ten minutes from the boat ramp. I would not try this combination in the mountains or long distances.

Your V6 mini van should be good. You may want to add an auxilliary transmissions cooler. Make sure the hitch is good for the weight load. Adjust the trailer so your load is properly balanced. Go slow and easy and you'll be OK. Keep checking your temp gauge as you go and your tire pressure before you start.

You don't need a monster truck to pull 2,500 lbs.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will add an eng oil cooler and will keep this in mind when I start hauling it. Thanks for the advise and leap of confidence. I also have an 87 s10 2wd 4 cyl, m/t hoping it will also pull it as well. Many thanks

bigdee

Commander

. I also have an 87 s10 2wd 4 cyl, m/t hoping it will also pull it as well. Many thanks

You can do it but it takes some finesse to toe & heal the brake and accelerator while engaging the clutch. I still have the original clutch in my '95 S-10 but if your not careful you could lose your clutch on the first try.

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I pull my 17' center console with my 2003 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 gasoline. This truck will pull anything you throw at it!

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tow my 12ft Lowe v hull with my 97 s-10 Has a 5.3 v-8 and tranny out of a full size in it.
Plenty of power. lol I also have an 99 3/4 ton gmc crew cab 7.4 l29. I don't like towing the boat with it, i cant see the boat except when turning.

jwfbass

Cadet

I tow my 16.5 ft bowrider with a 2011 F-150 Ecoboost Supercrew. It has the max trailer tow package (3.73 gears) so it is rated to pull 11,300 lbs. I essentially got it for my next boat. It hauls my current boat like it is not even there. I am getting around 15 mpg combined. I used to tow it with a 2002 Explorer 4x4 with the V-6. It would also tow our boat well, just not as well as the F-150. The Explorer turned over 200k this year and it was time to go.

cyclops2

Banned

At 74

I am wise enough to know my depth perception is not as reliable in rain, fog, bright sun & other conditions behind me. So 6 years ago I had the marina do all the ...in & out of both small boats. 16' & 19' bowrider.
I only need 1 Accord car now.
I am ahead on total vehicle expenses now, as a bonus.
A fantastic marina is worth a lot.

CaptainNeophyte

Recruit

First-timer...
Our outfit this past summer was a '98 Searay Bowrider with a 4.3 V6; 19feet long, 3500 lbs. Towing was a 1999 Mercury Mountaineer, V6,5 speed auto. Worked well around town and on short trips but was too much "wagging the dog" on long trips so the Merc is history.

Now looking for a bigger tow rig, but not something so big I can't drive it downtown if needed. In my mind this is likely a Tahoe or an Expedition. Any feedback on either choice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

1998 Searay
2004 Avalanche
2004 Traillite Bantam

pyrotek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just test towed a 23' Cuddy with my Honda Ridgeline 3.5L V6. The Ridgeline says it can tow 5000 lbs, and I read other people's opinions on other forums this was conservative. I was estimating the boat+trailer at around 5700-6000. I'll weigh it next summer. So I took it out last weekend for a test drive on some back roads. My expectation: Won't work. The result: I was completely amazed. It towed it no problem - up some pretty decent sized hills. I tried braking hard and it was OK - but not great. It clunked a bit when first stopping. But that's when I realized the trailer brakes didn't work at all (cylinder is completely dry), so I was using the RLs brakes entirely. Fixing the brakes hopefully this weekend. I didn't attempt the highway, but was doing 45mph up some hills without feeling like I was pushing the engine too hard - even though I was sort of accelerating up the hill more than normal. Truck smelled a little "warm" but nothing bad and temperature gauge was normal. I'm quite conservative with my truck and was very confortable towing this.

Anyways, I know, I know, your not supposed to tow more than manufacturer's limits, and I agree for insurance purposes. But lets be realistic. Some part of the towing capacity is related to the speed in which you tow. You could probably tow A LOT more at slow speeds ~25mph (up to a limit on the tongue weight). So when a manufacturer is forced to give one limit, they need to make it for highway speeds. But for 45mph and less I am quite impressed for towing short distances (< 15 miles) with the Ridgeline. I would imagine getting up to highway speeds and up the same hills may start to be where this vehicle can't tow it, and I wouldn't try it.

Anyways, I'm sure plenty will disagree based on manufacturer specs alone. I'm just giving my real world experience based on a test drive.

3dees

Cadet

I just bought a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the V6. I pull a 19" aluminum bass boat so no need for the V8. can't pull the boat til spring but it drives like a car.

Rickerd

Cadet

I traded my 98 Cherokee (4.0L) for a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Overland. It has a 4.7 H.O. (650 hp) 5 speed trans, will tow 700 tongue 5000 trailer. I am only pulling an 88 BlueFin, 1700 sportsman (2000 lb).
Do you go over your boats limits? (No! the coast guard will get you) Don't overload your vehicles! Its an accident waiting to happen, no-mater the distance!

BlueLightSpecial

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My previous tow vehicle was a 2000 Nissan Xterra V6, 5spd, 4X4. Would have a tough time pulling boats and trailers out of the water, had to use 4 low to avoid slipping the clutch too much. It had a hard time with my atv trailer, even empty. So I upgraded to a 2008 Ram 1500 with the hemi. Plenty of power, and i still average 16 mpg when towing. Honestly I thought i would be sacrificing reliability for towability, but that is not the case. Has been a great truck!

cobaltboats

Cadet

2010 Chevy Avalanche and we tow a 2011 Cobalt 242. Pull fairly well, but thats about max for this truck in my opinion.

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sam I Am 2.jpg

2009 F-250, 4x4, 6.4 deisal, Lariat. 2006 Monterey 250cr on a Ventura bunk trailer. Tow 4000 +/- miles a year. It is a solid set up.

col681

Cadet

1.9 turbo diesel Citroen Xsara for the 14ft speedboat but a tractor for the 40ft clinker

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to pull my boat with a Chevy Van, one day taking my boat out on a wet ramp the boat pulled the van into water despite all 4 wheels being locked, boat floating off trailer and relieving weight was all that saved me. Now I use a Dodge Ram 4X4 with a class 3 hitch, its a true 4X4 pulls 9000lb with low range select and Differential locks not an AWD 4X4. Right tool for the job!! (If ya cant dodge it,.. Ram it!)

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I pull my 16' aluminum Starcraft Fishmaster with a 2011 CR-V