What do you pull your boat with?

Flynny

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: What do you pull your boat with?

Wow!! That's a nice truck Stratohammer!!

We tow our '89 Sea Ray 160 with an '02 GMC Sonoma.

Crappy reliability on that truck. We bought it used in '07 and since then we've gone through 2 alternators, a set of front brakes, 2 sets of back brakes, replaced a broken brake line, and have had the automatic gearbox for the 4WD fixed 3 times. Now it's broken again, it refuses to shift into 4HI. And we have to perform witchcraft to get it to shift into 4LO. Something with a vacuum line keeps failing.

The first alternator just plain died. The second starting acting up about 2 weeks after it was installed, that one came bad from the factory. As far as the brakes, we had all four replaced when the pedal was low a few months after we bought it, then the right-rear brake seized up towing the boat down from Maine, it put on quite a smoke show and gave us an excuse to stay an extra night in Maine while they were replaced. Then the day I got my permit (I'm 16), I was practicing different parking maneuvers in an empty parking lot in the truck with my dad, and he happened to notice I was pushing the pedal awful low. He took my spot and said, and I quote, "...We have no brakes!". A rear brake line broke and was leaking. Imagine if that happened when we were towing the boat.

larsonrider

Cadet

I pull my 1994 Larson 194Lxi with my 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I thought I replied to this a while ago, but I guess not. Here is my tow vehicle. Do you see it down in the bottom left corner?? 05 Trailblazer EXT LT with a 5.3l and tow package. Owner's manual boasts a 7200lb towing capacity. No we dont tow with the Jeep, but I do move it around the house with it. We have sugar sand behind the house where I put it sometimes, when I am charging batteries or cleaning it so the neigborhood nazis do not get me. The TB isnt 4x4 and the Jeep pulls it nicely throught the sand. Of course its a lot taller now with much larger tires, but I wouldnt trust the brakes to tow a 21ft boat. Especially our new boat.

Attachments

• Jeep stuff 084a.jpg
    Jeep stuff 084a.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 0

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I now tow with an 06 Dakota 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7l. HO V8. I'm confident it can do the job and then some.

bigdee

Commander

S-10 4cyl & 5 speed or V6 Blazer......boats are 20' pontoon and 19' sea ray

JDA1975

Lieutenant

2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4X4....love it!

IMG_3586.jpg

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2000 VT SS Commodore.

Used it to tow everything and anything.

Panelvan for a mate
P1050420.jpg

My drag/street car (after it blew the gearbox)
IMGP4479.jpg

Mates horsefloat (full of dead tree in the photo)
Photo0181.jpg

and finally the boat:
IMG_0634.jpg

But sadly it's making way in the near future for a Turbo Diesel Toyota Hilux

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

2000 VT SS Commodore.

Is it a Manal? 5.7-6.0 I assume?

My GTO (Holdon product from down under) I wouldnt think would be sturdy due to lack of an attachment point as the hitch just attaches to the trunk floor pan...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

My GTO (Holdon product from down under) I wouldnt think would be sturdy due to lack of an attachment point as the hitch just attaches to the trunk floor pan...

I'm all for towing with cars, but i've personally seen that exact unibody twist quite badly from an overloaded hitch. Lack of a rear subframe of any sort is a problem...

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think you mean Holden Munaro? That's the GTO. His is a 4 door Commodore, basically the same. Not sure about power options on that model.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

just my old 4 banger 5 speed S 10, draging a 20 foot pontoon ( 2400 lbs ), and getting 22 mpg while doing it

bigdee

Commander

just my old 4 banger 5 speed S 10, draging a 20 foot pontoon ( 2400 lbs ), and getting 22 mpg while doing it

I have the same setup with a '95 S-10 every weekend 80 miles round trip though some fairly hilly terrain, have to use 3rd gear alot....it screams at 55 in 3rd but I have over 120k and still have the original clutch! I don't get anywhere close to 22 mpg because of the hills but I get 26-28 when not towing.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you mean Holden Munaro? That's the GTO. His is a 4 door Commodore, basically the same. Not sure about power options on that model.
The Monaro was the GTO.

Yes this is the 4-door, 5.7litre 4speed auto.

And the car's been rear-ended 2-3 times in the time i've had it, and every time i insist that it's put on the chassis jig to ensure it's true. And each time it's come back in spec.

Recently towed the boat pictured 1000km on 110L of regular unleaded, but the trip was the only time the versatility of a sedan has let me down. Which is why im making the switch to a TD Hilux. Which also means i can go offroading :D

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Recently towed the boat pictured 1000km on 110L of regular unleaded, but the trip was the only time the versatility of a sedan has let me down. Which is why im making the switch to a TD Hilux. Which also means i can go offroading :D

What let you down? and what is the Tow capacity by Holden of the cars in Austrailia? Here in America they consider it 1,000 lbs. Only hitch available is a light duty one with 4 small attachment points.

Sabbath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What let you down? and what is the Tow capacity by Holden of the cars in Austrailia? Here in America they consider it 1,000 lbs. Only hitch available is a light duty one with 4 small attachment points.
Trying to take a lowered V8 onto a dirt boatramp :p

That's all. It was fine for everything else. Just getting stuck face first on a sand/gravel embankment when the only progress being made is in the wrong direction. Plus scraping the exhaust around town etc. I've done my dash on lowered cars for the moment. Time to go the complete opposite, and have some fun at the same time

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

Will an 02 Chrysler Town and Country V-6 pull a 2500 lb Cuddy and trailer without causing problems?