What do you do?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: What do you do?

OK I'll jump in.<br /><br />I just retired after 39 years and 4 months of service with AEP as a Production Services Leader......which is just a glorified way to say supervisor. My job was to see to the running and operation of one of three electrical generating units I worked at depending on which unit I was on.<br /><br />For the last 14 years or so my Dad and I have been running a repair and tackle shop. That's what I do now, sorta semi-retired... :) I like it.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by cntrydude:<br /> Machinist by trade, aerospace close tolerance, CNC. Now in management, quoting parts and assemblies for a manufacturing company in Salem Oregon.<br /><br />Hey NYMINUTE,Capt. Kidd <br />You guys have any parts or assemblies you need to have manufactured?
No but we sure could use some orders. Defense spending is down for air support, so we are scrapping. I have 2 new Haas Mills, and Hass Turning Center sitting close to idle. 6 months ago I had the crew on OT. We can do gears on Hobs as small as a earing back.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Originally posted by alaska river runner:<br /> Chappy you must mean Shane
That would be him. It is a small world (or state) isn't it? <br /><br />I'm trying to talk him into drifting me and the wife down the Kenai for Kings before we have to leave. I don't think it will take a lot of convincing to get him to fish? :) <br /><br />AK Chappy

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Electrical engineer employed as a system dispatcher for a very large power utility. Been here 2 years since graduating. Before this I did 17 years as a security/access control/cctv technician. Mostly industrial stuff with some commercial thrown in to keep it interesting.

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Right now looking for work in my field.<br />20+ years in logistics / transportation.<br />Recently downsized--not pretty.<br />Trying to stay positive. I love, and am good at transportation network design, carrier negotiations, and really making a company's logistics arm a competitive edge.<br />Been doing some interviewing, especially since the holidays are over.<br />A little "pep" talk would be appreciated!<br />Many Thanks

cntrydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NYMINUTE,<br />We have the HAAS equipment also, best bang for the buck I think. Things are slow here in the Pacific Northwest also. Hang in there!

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br /> I manage an IT Information Management department at a major Engineering/Construction company in the Power/Petrochem/Chem/Infrastructure/Pulp and Paper/Environmental industry.<br /><br /> http://www.sbec.com
KK i worked for them for a while some day i may go back

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Jimbo & Foxy:<br /> Been doing some interviewing, especially since the holidays are over.<br />A little "pep" talk would be appreciated!<br />Many Thanks
I was in that boat in 2001. I graduated just in time for the bottom to fall out of the job market. I spent the next 18 months in job H*ll before landing this job.<br /><br />You'll get through it; hang in there. The best thing about it is, once it's been over for a couple years you barely remember what it was like.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

MY is a field investigator for the IRS and am<br />watching all of u v.carefully...<br /> :p <br /><br />actually self employed. MY co. sells mainframe<br />computer hardware and high end networking eqpmt.<br />wholesale to re-sellers, VAR's and big end-users.<br />(peddler) ;)

TexomaAv8r

Petty Officer 1st Class

Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor-ie Drug and Alcohol counseling. Currently for a privately run out patient facility in Plano Texas, emphasis in crimincal justice clients.<br />Have dabled in automotive services (parts changer) carpet laying, hospital work, sales..

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

Full time - purchasing agent and deputy tax collector for local gov.<br /><br />Part time 6 hrs a week tax collector for another town.<br /><br />Every other time I try to be a great dad.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Hey Perfessor, you work for the system in PJM or some other outfit?

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

I babysit adult children on the state financed construction sites, I.E. DSA inspector...Carolyn takes care of everything else...sl

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Me? In my first life, I was a Yeoman First Class (E-6) in the Coast Guard and retired. Now, I am a computer programmer, Unix systems admin, and overall computer geek. (in other words, if you give me a screwdriver and a socket wrench, and I could do some damage! :p )<br /><br />Butch A.

tfjrc2

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Professor!<br />I see you are in the great state of PA.<br />I am waiting word on a job there. Harrisburg area distribution firm.<br />Flew there on their dime in January. I was the first of three being considered. The other two are having their chats this week.<br />Great job, in my field, and the company has the right kind of challenges due to the strain growth is putting on their supply chain infrastructure.<br />I'd love to post something on the "good news" board!

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

KK i worked for them for a while some day i may go back<br />
Give me some info.....I've been there since 1989....been in my current position since 1995.<br /><br />What did you do at our company....I probably know you...just don't recognize the dk990496???<br /><br />We're getting pretty busy again on the Construction side right now.

Whaler Proud

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I build stores for RadioShack Corporation. If you live in Montana, Idaho, Washington, Oregon, The People's Republic of California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Colorado, Wyoming, or Utah, then I probably built the store you shop at.<br /><br />Some of you may be seeing our stores being remodeled to a whole new look. Well, I designed the retrofit version of the new concept, along with a lot of the processes designed specifically for the job.<br /><br /> :cool:

Stumpys

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe not real exciting... but I am a Maintenance Supervisor for the Aviation Department at KCI airport. I do get to see a lot of neat stuff!<br /><br />I did four years as a electrician in airfield lighting, and I also have a side business of mowing, which is starting to do pretty good now.

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by KeltonKrew:<br />
KK i worked for them for a while some day i may go back<br />
Give me some info.....I've been there since 1989....been in my current position since 1995.<br /><br />What did you do at our company....I probably know you...just don't recognize the dk990496???<br /><br />We're getting pretty busy again on the Construction side right now.
work warehouse for Ron Zumwalt Danny Reed sent a resume to them a few weeks ago trying to go back

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> There's always threads floating around like "how old are you" or "where do you live" or "Show us your boat." But I thought I would try something new.<br /><br />This one is what do you do. My idea behind it is that everyone is an expert at something. As an example, I'm an IT Director of a mortgage lender. So I know a lot about Computers/technology as well as the mortgage industry. I will be glad to offer help with anyone's questions in these two fields as well. What do you guys do, just in case we have a question that lands in your related field.<br /><br />Sean
Are you hiring? I have 15 years of experience in the IT industry. :)