Vendetta restore

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Vendetta restore

Ok, I'm sanding down to the "good glass" so we will be ready to start putting wood back.
Got this area pretty good but is it correct? The newer glass from the old stringers and such is kinda reddish colored so do I grind all that off as well or jus get it cleaned and ruffed up? Took several pics if the area but yo can't really see it. What you guys think?
2013-01-23_13-58-33_404.jpg

2013-01-23_13-58-33_404.jpg

2013-01-23_13-58-29_168.jpg

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well my old grinder is making a funny whistling noise and it slows down and speeds up by itself so I'm guessing its gona explode soon. Tried to keep it blown out while doing my work n the boat and haven't been really bearing down on it since it is old and all.
Anyway I'm looking on everyone's fav sire HF. Anyone use either of these

This is pretty much what I have now,I use the flap wheels to do the heavy grinding.
http://forums.iboats.com/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=587736

This is another I like but I'm not sure the sandpaper discs will hold up long but I would be able to use this one for polishing and buffing as well.
Sander/Polisher - 7 Speed Electric Sander & Polisher

Any thoughts or experiences with either would be a big help since funds are hard to come by and I've already wasted cash on a useless cutoff tool.lol

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've been using a Porter Cable 4" grinder with a sanding backer with 24 grit pads. The sanding pad is held on with a nut, not the stick-on kind. I've been using one disc for a long time now, on fiberglass/wood/and an occasional screw. The grinder may cost a little more, but I've had it for some time now, and it's still going strong. A lot of folks on here like the HF tools because of the price, but I hate having to stop in the middle of something and go to HF to exchange a tool. I figure my time/gas is worth the little extra money. Just my 2 cents.

Shop PORTER-CABLE 4-in 7-Amp Trigger Corded Grinder at Lowes.com

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thx man, I'm leaning towards the bigger sander/polisher for the bigger amp motor and versatility.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been a few days since I was able to do anything on the boat. Today I had to spend the first 2 hours rebuilding my shelter since the storm yesterday turned it inside out pretty much. Got a lot of grinding done today. The boat,my tools,the yard around it all, my truck which was over 30 feet away, and myself and the dog were all the same color.heh. Itchy YAY! All that's left is to grind off the bow eye wood and the side area where the deck will tab in. Thank goodness I can stand up for those.HAHA.

Trooper82

Commander

Gots to love the grinding!

necessary evil...grinding looks good to me

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thx troop. Would have been a funny video to see me and my blue bunny suit crawling,sliding and flopping around the hull today.lol

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello wolfsmurf. Imma "basser restore thread" junkie. Gonna follow along with ya. Your work is look'n good.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello wolfsmurf. Imma "basser restore thread" junkie. Gonna follow along with ya. Your work is look'n good.

Ok dood,thx. now I'm waiting to get some of that folding green stuff so I can get my grassing stuff.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone else think this is funny as hell?
image_zps058c0927.jpg
http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1983-venture-magnum-17ft-bass-boat-transon-repair-resto-total-noob-564338.html
I could not find anything else heavy to use.lol.

Well like so many other threads I've read it DOES feel really good to be building something for my boat instead of destroying. Got the transom cut and glue is drying. That job is like changing a diaper for the first time, there's stuff everywhere by the time yer done.

I looked at my top cap today trying to visualize the mods I want and I think I have it. I want to sketch it out and post but cant find any program for the ipad I like. I guess I'll ask my daughter to lend me some of her artist pencils and try my hand at it that way.

Also been thinking about colors for when I get done with the construction, I like white but I was thinking about going with red and blue flake. Anyone chime in on this as I have even less know how on gelcoating than I do on boat building. Was thinking all patriotic on the red,white and blue. I would want grey carpeting since I read the black carpet gets dam hot and we get enuff of that around here.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Use the advanced forum search for metallic flake gelcoat. Possible, but difficult for all but the bet pro's, near impossible for a novice gelcoat'r. Many threads have discussed it.

But you've got some time yet to decide scheme & flake.

Nice weight system. Whatever it takes.

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm trying to figure the amount of supplies ill need to do my boat and I'm having a hard time. I tried 3 times so far and came up with 3 different sets of numbers in the amount of cloth ill need. Anyone an expert at this sort of thing who is willing to help me out? My ADHD is killing me tonight.lol

Seasonally.boating.jon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey wolfsmurf. Personally I would start with 10 gal of resin 15 yards each of 1708 and csm. I ordered 4# of 1/4" chopped fibers and the big bucket of cabosil. I've went pretty far with it. Get tongue depressors also. It will run just under $900 if I remember right. That's including shipping. This is from uscomposites. I ran out of resin during Christmas break, I'll be dropn another $900 after I'm done with home updates.
Later man.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Jitterbug is just about spot on. the only thing I would change is 15 gals of resin to start. It goes a LOT faster than you can imagine

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool, thx guys. I found a local boat builder who will sell me resin for $30 per gallon. That will save me the shipping costs on those buckets. I read about the hazmat charges,they said there was no such charge for the foam so I'm good there too. Really excited about rebuilding here, the boss lady said she would be really glad when my stuff was here so I could go play in the yard.lol

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So today I went to see the "local boat guy" to buy some resin and stuff. I don't know what I expected but I was blown away at what I found.

Mr garret driskel owns cobra boat service and has been Building boat for over 44 years. He made the popular "Cobra " bass boats seen around this part of the country in the 70's and early 80's and perhaps more fishing boats in different styles. He sold me resin and cloth for reasonable pricing which was excellent since it saved me shipping costs and I only had to drive 20mins to get it instead of waiting on the ups truck. The other stuff I got there was really priceless to me. He asked what boat I was working on, told me of his experiences with that brand and similar. He offered advice freely on everything I asked. He even offered to help me over the phone if I got in trouble on something. I feel much better about my project after talking with him today. I will refer everyone who askes from now on to see mr garret about boat repairs he impressed me so. He spent over an hour today talking to me, a complete stranger, about my little home project even though he was not going to make a big profit. I just wanted to tell everyone about my day. Cheers!

wolfsmurf

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got so e work done today
Transom is laminated and test fit is good.
image_zpseaf44afa.jpg

Tested my clamping system
Inside
image_zpse5b676d5.jpg

Outside
image_zps3586848f.jpg

Got up the courage to try my first glassing job
image_zpsdad0333c.jpg

I messed up the edges and had to grind off some so no big deal. Maye it was the fumes......maybe it was
image_zps967e2182.jpg

Trooper82

Commander

glassing looks goot d to me WS...I did my transom and stringer/deck the same way...little overhang then take a oscillating tool to it...less dust that way...so how is the Black Crown?