Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

TheMechanic

Cadet
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Post pics and your in. I load pics to photobucket then take the IMG link and post on reply and it shows up .

Aron

Cadet

I know somewhere on here i heard someone say something about a trihull club. does such an animal exist?

if not, then it should.

what do we have to do and is any one interested?

Pic of marquis

Attachments

• .facebook_195808955.jpg
    .facebook_195808955.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 2

Lilishmoto

Recruit

I'm in. Mods coming this winter already have some great ideas from you guys.
IMG_20130630_050926[1].jpg

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 18' Tri-Hull:

IMG_0058.jpg

Repowered in 2009.
IMG_0232_001.jpg

Bought new by my father in law in 1985. He gave it to my wife and I in 2001. Lots of good boating with it. It is now in need of major surgery. My winter project...

uponone4eva

Recruit

I have a guy in PA whose selling a Glastron V156 w/trailer and a Chrysler 55 on back in pretty good shape, for $400. Should I buy or not? Sorry no pics.

tallcanadian

Captain

I have a guy in PA whose selling a Glastron V156 w/trailer and a Chrysler 55 on back in pretty good shape, for $400. Should I buy or not? Sorry no pics.
Check the floor(deck) and transom for soft spots. The price sounds good, just be prepared to do some work on the boat.

uponone4eva

Recruit

Check the floor(deck) and transom for soft spots. The price sounds good, just be prepared to do some work on the boat.

I'll find a picture and maybe consider buying. I would love to join this club. Maybe get some tips on restoring this old tri.

uponone4eva

Recruit

Also... Never heard anything good or bad about Chryslers. Any experience?

Also... Managed to find the pics. Def need some work to get it looking like new again.555484_10153040099400542_1330720571_n.jpg1010857_10153040100460542_870556106_n.jpg1001202_10153040097420542_1581916524_n.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

Be prepared to do a lot of work. You may need to replace floor, transom and so on. The top may have to come off. As far as the motor goes, I personally have never had one but I hear some good things. The downfall is parts are hard to get. My next build that I'm thinking about is a Chrysler boat and motor. For 400 dollars, you get the package but again, be prepared to do a full build. I'm not trying to discourage you, just being real...

redfury

Commander

Glastron built these pretty hastily during this era as they were cranking them out. The motor hanging on the back shouldn't be able to flex the transom at all if it is in good shape. The floors are 1/2 ply with a single layer of fiberglass cloth. If you can make them flex, then they are going. I'm smack in the middle of my Glastron, check out the early pics to see the potential mess you're getting into. I'd go through my rebuild again, but I would pick a hull that had no blisters and a decent gel coat to save a ton of time and money.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Chrysler motors bought West Bend Outboards back in the day. They were your basic "Start Up" outboards. They ran good with no Frills. Major Parts no longer exist but Tune up and seals are no problem. If you get her running with good compression and maintain her well, that old girl should run for many years to come. A lot depends on how many hours she has on her and how good of compression she has.

NickMcCabe

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same price I paid for mine. I'd say it's definitely worth it if the transom is good. If not, it's only worth it if you are willing and know how to do carpentry and fiberglass work. I think I may have bit off more than I can chew on my project as my transom is not looking good upon initial core test. Don't make my mistake. Unless you are willing to replace it, don't buy the boat if the transom is rotten and many are.

1NewBoatGuy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Most boat owners are not even aware of the importance of a solid transom. So they may sell a boat as water ready (as good as they know) and as far as you know (with out a good inspection) you may wind up with one hell of a paper weight. (Paper weight defined as anything that keeps your money from flying out from underneath it).

uponone4eva

Recruit

Thanks for the input guys. I might still get it if it's around when I bounce back financially from the CC I just bought.

mkrup

Recruit

Hmmm...I guess I've been a member for 3 years now without knowing it...lol! I picked up a 1980 Imperial 15' tri-hull 3 summers ago just to take on family camping trips up on this beautiful lake near Canada in the Adirondacks that I go on with my kids and about 5-6 other families. Previously we had brought up canoes, kayaks, etc...but it is a motorboat lake with virtually zero traffic on it and a nice ramp in the state campgrounds. So I found this old Tri-Hull from a guy in PA on Ebay...took a chance (950 bucks...including trailer and depth/fish-finder...not too much of a risk).

Turns out it has re-awakened the "boating bug" in me (had a 17' bowrider when I was young and single and living right on the LI Sound in CT back in the early 90s...then came that whole wife and kids thing...) :ballchain:

Anyway, now I take it not only on the camping trip each year, but out on local lakes and also on the Hudson River in the spring for the annual Striped Bass run..... except for a few bucks for engine stuff (plugs, engine fogger, lower unit lube, etc) and new trailer tires ($100) and some foam and fabric to redo the seats ($50), I have not put a nickel into it. I have also rigged it up pretty good for fishing (can't really see in the pix), bow-mounted trolling motor with foot controls, pole holders, down-riggers...I get some odd looks when I am out on the Hudson from the guys with the real $$ fishing boats...don't see tri-hulls rigged up like this too often I would think.

The Evinrude 70 is bulletproof...starts right up every time. Even after sitting outside all winter...I am amazed. Sure the carbs could use a some tweeking (hole shots take a little effort or it will bog down), but I haven't bothered because I only take the kids tubing not skiing yet, so who cares. The only real problem with the boat except for aesthetics, is the transom is a bit soft, it flexes in one spot. I keep an eye on it and it has not gotten any worse in 3 years, but clearly not worth my time/money to fix.

No restoration in the future though...looking to upgrade to an 18' center console fishing boat next spring, will probably just give the tri-hull to someone rather than go through the headache of selling it. With the transom as it is, I'd probably get more money if I just sold the motor/battery/gas-tank/fish-finder and trailer, and scrapped the hull. But it is a very cheap and really reliable way to get out on the water, so I will just find someone who wants it.

This boat could sink tomorrow and it would still be the best 1K I have ever, or probably will ever, spent!! Viva los Tri-Hulls! Where can I get the sticker?

:rockon:

Sea Stomper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a second submission for this boat after building a new sliding canopy pilot house on it. First submission in this thread was number 354 at http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...-club-yes-no-maybe-346413-15.html#post3011945.

It's a 15' 10" Orrion with an 85 Chrysler modded with a mopar ignition box and MSD Blaster ignition coil.

DSCN5206.JPG

DSCN5205.JPG

0825131240a.jpg

boat1.jpg

Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain

Wow. Looks great. That will keep you dry on those rainy days.