Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

1970LasVegas

Cadet
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Thanks, I still need to replace the seats and the wife wants me to make the front into a layout spot for her. but for now it's gonna have to to cause it was stores for to long.

59Thompson

Seaman

The Maritime aluminum cathedral ala Richard Cole's patent tri hulls of the '60s became Monarks which became SeaArks. SeaArks are still in business in Arkansas and make a 17' walkthrough aluminum tri-hull called the Roustabout. I just acquired a 1968 Maritime Nova Scotia OB with a nice TeeNee trailer and will be getting her up and running. The floor panels are basically rectangular and 4' in width the wooden transom pieces that back up the 3/16th aluminum transom all bolt in and out and the hull is 1/8th in MIG welded aluminum plate with no rivets. Hull is foamed to not sink, think Boston Whaler 17 but only 950 lbs. Typical used prices are around a $1000 without a motor. Check out Maritime on Fiberglassics they have the full 1966 brochure. Remember no pressure treated would on aluminum due to the corrosion issues just use good marine plywood and seal with CPES (2 part)or Minwax wood hardener (1 part)

catfishrich

Cadet

I have a 72' MFG Gypsy with a 76' Johnson 85hp on it I use it all the time! I have some pics but Im unable to post with my phone :(

tallcanadian

Captain

Nice looking Gypsy. That 85 must push that thing nicely.

madman960

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a 74 Cobia Sandlano and a 1970 Steury T517C. Pics of Cobia in my resto thread. Pics to come for the Steury once the rain stops.

Bill

catfishrich

Cadet

Nice looking Gypsy. That 85 must push that thing nicely.
She runs pretty good, 38mph with the current prop. I have had it run as high a 43mph with a different prop. I like the prop thats on it, the hole shot is real good, we tube off of her alot.

southkogs

Staff member

Nice boat Auger. Love the Glastrons.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Wow Auger your Boats looks Brand NEW :cool:

The Rez

Cadet

well this is my project boat DSC_0329.jpg needs some seats and the bow light And now I have 4 different motors 2 65hp johnsons and 2 40hp norsman Thanks to some friends who needed work done on cars.

DavidASmith57

Recruit

Like many on this post, I purchased a motor and they threw in the boat. I believe I have an 83/84 Starcraft Tri hull but I'm not sure as the model plate was not on the boat when I got it 6 years ago. The floor was completely rotten, transom was cracked, fiberglass had cracks, trim was falling off, and the boat was full of mice. I tackled each project (not necessarily in that order) and the boat has proven to be a great little fishing boat with all sorts of customizing. Apart from the need for a
kidney belt and dental insurance (as mentioned elsewhere on the thread) this 14' lady has always managed to bring me and the crew home in the worst of whitecaps.

My fishing buddy recently said "Look at that nice new boat over there" and I said "I really like my boat. Let's see how that boat looks in 35 or 40 years and then compare". I am on board for the Tri Hull Club as well and pleased to share ideas with others in the "club". Dave

Attachments

• My Boat Overhaul.jpg
    My Boat Overhaul.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 2

DavidASmith57

Recruit

Small things can sometimes add up so here are a few things that helped me. 1) The rail trim was going to cost hundreds at the local marina so I used a 50' black flat garden soaker hose and stainless screws for a fraction of the cost. 2) that 4 piece rod holder in the front is $52 at the fishing outlet but I cut my own out of PVC for about $6. 3) even the rod wraps to cover your lures (especially during transport) are expensive so I use a small pieces of hot water pipe insulation (already cut open) with velcro ties. For what it's worth. Dave

canuckmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey David, what area do you go boating? I'm usually in Lake Muskoka or Couchiching.

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Like many on this post, I purchased a motor and they threw in the boat. I believe I have an 83/84 Starcraft Tri hull but I'm not sure as the model plate was not on the boat when I got it 6 years ago. The floor was completely rotten, transom was cracked, fiberglass had cracks, trim was falling off, and the boat was full of mice. I tackled each project (not necessarily in that order) and the boat has proven to be a great little fishing boat with all sorts of customizing. Apart from the need for a
kidney belt and dental insurance (as mentioned elsewhere on the thread) this 14' lady has always managed to bring me and the crew home in the worst of whitecaps.

My fishing buddy recently said "Look at that nice new boat over there" and I said "I really like my boat. Let's see how that boat looks in 35 or 40 years and then compare". I am on board for the Tri Hull Club as well and pleased to share ideas with others in the "club". Dave

That's a fine looking Trihull you have there David. Nice work also!!

DavidASmith57

Recruit

Hey David, what area do you go boating? I'm usually in Lake Muskoka or Couchiching.

Hey Canuc Mark ... I live in Colborne Ontario (1.5 hrs's east of Toronto on the 401) and typically fish Brighton Bay, Quinte, Rice Lake, and some Lake Ontario. Looks like we are about 3+ hours away from each other. Canuc Dave :)