Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

That's TERRIBLE!!! You can't be seen on the lake in THAT boat! I'll be right over to tow it off for you!!!! I'm old and everyone would expect an old decripid codger like me to have a crappy boat like that!!!!:D What, You're not buyin that!!! Well ok... Here ya go...

That's some mighty fine Restoration Work!!!!

tallcanadian

Captain

That's TERRIBLE!!! You can't be seen on the lake in THAT boat! I'll be right over to tow it off for you!!!! I'm old and everyone would expect an old decripid codger like me to have a crappy boat like that!!!!:D What, You're not buyin that!!! Well ok... Here ya go...

That's some mighty fine Restoration Work!!!!

Are you making any of those stickers, Wood? I would put that on my boat. I love it!! What a cool slogan. You could make a small fortune with those. :D

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

Yes definitely a nice lookin' Tri there Don :)

SAT_Bob

Seaman

Nice work Don! It's a great looking boat and something to be proud of.

KE4PWE

Cadet
I would like to join. 1970 MFG 14 tri hull Gypsy.

Last edited:

KE4PWE

Cadet
Added the photo, there will be more as soon as I figure out this website.

Neobreaker

Recruit
Here's mine, my question is where do i get parts for this thing? i need to replace the floor, seats, etc i dont have a throttle or cables i have some random wires going places, I'm a little lost in where to start with my project :)

tallcanadian

Captain
Here's mine, my question is where do i get parts for this thing? i need to replace the floor, seats, etc i dont have a throttle or cables i have some random wires going places, I'm a little lost in where to start with my project :)

Maybe try loading your pictures again. I upload mine to Photobucket then on to here.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I guess I'm once again a member! My 3rd tri-hull, although this one skirts the line between cathedral and true tri-hull. Having a lot of fun with it so far, and for an ugly barge, she is quick! (52 on the gps)

deckboat.jpg

redfury

Commander
I guess I'm once again a member! My 3rd tri-hull, although this one skirts the line between cathedral and true tri-hull. Having a lot of fun with it so far, and for an ugly barge, she is quick! (52 on the gps)

What brand is the barge Smokin'? I saw something similar to that on a lake I was fishing...had a v8 inboard...pretty awesome. Seems like the best of the pontoon and runabout worlds combined.

redfury

Commander
speaking of barges, I'm getting the barge back together. The Glastron I've been working on for the last 8 or 9 years. Probably won't be functional this year, but I'm hopeful to have it on the water next year.

Last edited:

KE4PWE

Cadet
Hello all, I guess I'm part of the Tri-Hull world again. I have a MFG 14ft 1970 Gypsy with a "Force50" that someone has put on there. Price was right for it so i am not going to complain. It came with a tilt trailer so it was worth the bother. It will be run for a while till I get to wanting to do a restore. The floor was restored but they did a bad job, so the deck is just mounted to stringers without sides. Lots of water run off to the sides of this deck for sure. I have had tri hulls before so this one will be much easier than the last 16ft one I had that got destroyed in a tropical storm in the Keys.

Here are some photos. I would like if some on can identify the clasp feature to the tilt trailer, it is not correct, there is a chain locked into the upper section like the trigger mechanism is missing that pulls the slide bar in and out. I will get more photos for that part also.

"UPDATE SEPT22,2014" Well she is running and on the water, 44 year old boat is purring like she was new. There's lots more to do but a simple water pump change and couple other adjustments and she was ready to go. I'll figure out the photo thing here soon.

"Update" October 29, 2014. Finally got into my photobucket account with an outdated information and added these photos. I will probably do some really short videos and photos of basic things I have found during the maintenance part of this boat. We won't be doing a body restore for a while, we are still having fun running it just as it was.

These photos are when we bought the boat, untouched and not repairs done on the vessel.

Starboard side, notice they had undercoat for being in the water, but someone did a poor job of starting to restore the gelcoat, it will need to be completely sanded down and resprayed again. We will keep this one orange, just because its our UF Gators boat, orange and blue. We installed a blue top on it with blue dock ropes, ect.

Bow of the boat, the trailer was pretty nice but they had chained up the tilt on it so it was not usable. This weekend I replaced the safety chain, fixed the release clip and pin/spring assembly and almost broke the lighting wiring since it was so tight to the trailer. It is operational now with a 3/16 steel cable to the front of the trailer to release the tilt. Cost 19 dollars in parts and some time with bolt cutters and wrenches. The front bunker shoes had to go, I will add bunker shoes to the till section of the trailer instead of the fixed section, they almost put a hole in the hull when it came back down.

Stern of the 14 footer. Major corrosion on the outboard steering knuckle area, missing tilt locks, safety clips ect. They used a 1/2 breakbar for the tilt lock without strapping it down. Dead battery, and lots of mix oil drip, still have not fixed that yet, going to put a recovery pan in so that next time it starts it just absorbs the excess fuel instead of it dripping on the ground. Motor starts on the first try, so that's a good thing for everyone bashing FORCE, if your a mechanic they run great, if you can't fix the O/B stay away, it does take basic mechanical ability to not get into trouble, but its just like any other small engine a little TLC always keeps them going. They are the easiest motor to work on, but they are the economy of the class. I have lots of parts.

Port side, nothing much to add here, except there was a fast leaking tire on the trailer and so we used it one day, it leaked down that night. So we replaced the tires and rims also with adding spare. Front tire of the jack needs to be replaced, its a garbage plastic tire that shaved when I was on asphalt.

You can see the 1/2 breakbar in the photo, its the round thing in the transom jack area, there was a lot of corrosion on this area, with no safety clips, or even a tilt up clip. We recovered another motor that has some of the hardware so we are going to attempt to pull out some broken bolts and restore the hardware. A local OB repair shop had a manual tilt handle for us to use on the boat while in the water, got it for 10 dollars, great deal. Pitot tube was broken off, replaced that with normal vacuum line worked just fine. Have a new replacement for the spedo, but like I said we are going to keep this completely original and the spedo will stay that way also.

Here are my alive and well photos of the boat on the Suwannee River.

Stopped at Dowling Park and had ice cream and pie after the maiden run on the wild river. By the way original steel fuel tank with a vent release on the fuel cap, remember to unscrew the vent while putting down the river or you will be dead in the water once the vacuum sets in the fuel line GRIN found this out the hard way, forgot all about the old vent screw on those.

Has its new blue top installed, had a problem with the angled hull and the mounts, bought universals also and they did not work, so I made a angled bracket to mount the hardware.

South on the Suwannee River.

Haven't put my stickers on yet Red but I will.

This is a very interesting RR bridge.

Got to have the flag,

Here is the FORCE in action. At full throttle we do about 24 with a current of 4-7 up the river.

Thanks for checking us out, we will update when we do work on the vessel. Happy I-Boating.

Here's a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=mmKcI1iEJkA

Last edited:

Castaway2

Recruit
Hqoping to become a member of this elite group. I have 1982 Spartan, that i am currently on the tail end of finishing. just a couple more bugs with the motor and a scoulded dog. struggling with the pictures, the best i could do being new to this site. hope it gets me in the Club!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20140419_115515_765.jpg
    IMG_20140419_115515_765.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20140420_082628_815.jpg
    IMG_20140420_082628_815.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20140803_145307_366.jpg
    IMG_20140803_145307_366.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 2

JRKILO

Recruit
I think there should be a tri hull club as I have a 1970 gypsy tri hull and I am in need of plastic gypsy mfg placks foe both sides in the rear, am retoring and this boat is in very good confition, can anyone help?

tallcanadian

Captain
I think there should be a tri hull club as I have a 1970 gypsy tri hull and I am in need of plastic gypsy mfg placks foe both sides in the rear, am retoring and this boat is in very good confition, can anyone help?

You could probably have them made. Or you can have decals made from your local printing place. Just bring in a pic and measurements. Any pics of you Gypsy?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Hey TC ! will I be allowed to join the club with my Manatee ? It,s small but it is a tri-hull ... :joyous: