Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

I've scrapped 6 trihulls.... for parts for my Lone Star and Starcrafts! :D does that count? :D:D

Tempest 160

Cadet

This is my second Tri Hull I bought from the sale of my first Tri Hull.. This one is a 1974 Starcraft Capri Sport 20, Mercruiser 188 HP V8. What an incredible performer this is for it's size, very comfortable ride in rought water. This one also needed some work when I got it, motor needed a timing chain, carb re-build, dist changed to electronic ignition, but found the transome was also rotted around the drive hole so had to replace the whole thing but well worth it. She's a ongoing project but I think I'll keep this one for a while !!!S4300027.jpgS4300031.jpgS4300026.jpgboat 001.jpg8409ghb_20.jpg

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This is my second Tri Hull I bought from the sale of my first Tri Hull.. This one is a 1974 Starcraft Capri Sport 20, Mercruiser 188 HP V8. What an incredible performer this is for it's size, very comfortable ride in rought water. This one also needed some work when I got it, motor needed a timing chain, carb re-build, dist changed to electronic ignition, but found the transome was also rotted around the drive hole so had to replace the whole thing but well worth it. She's a ongoing project but I think I'll keep this one for a while !!!View attachment 135447View attachment 135448View attachment 135449View attachment 135450View attachment 135451

SWEEET!! A tri-hull and a cabin?!?!?!?

fstorm08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm baaack. Here is my new ride. Well, not new but, hey, it's paid for. lol.

4983gd6_20.jpg

TC... did you start on this yet?

parrisw

Ensign

This is my second Tri Hull I bought from the sale of my first Tri Hull.. This one is a 1974 Starcraft Capri Sport 20, Mercruiser 188 HP V8. What an incredible performer this is for it's size, very comfortable ride in rought water. This one also needed some work when I got it, motor needed a timing chain, carb re-build, dist changed to electronic ignition, but found the transome was also rotted around the drive hole so had to replace the whole thing but well worth it. She's a ongoing project but I think I'll keep this one for a while !!!View attachment 135447View attachment 135448View attachment 135449View attachment 135450View attachment 135451

That thing is SWEET!!! I love it. Very roomy looking, and I love the front seats!! I want one!

busted-bayliner

Petty Officer 1st Class

i just got this boat its a 1973 glasspar with a 1973 65hp evinrude triumph motor im new to boating really i got this boat an unknown to me the transom was rotted bad the guy i got it from had a metal plat on the backso shaking the motor before purchase seemed solid lol not
Any way i cut the back cap off and redid the transom with all new marine wood and a lot of fiberglass so here are a few pics

IMG-20120402-00005.jpgIMG-20120404-00014.jpgIMG-20120409-00030.jpgIMG-20120411-00032.jpgIMG-20120422-00007.jpg

SigSaurP229

Commander

I am in.
1968 ( I am guessing) Fish N Ski Tri Hull Tennessee is a no title state soooo... Guessing based on original installation and ignition layout of boat looks like it would belong to a 1968 Johnson. Has a 1972 Evinrude 65 hp on it now. IMG00034-20101210-1616.jpgIMG00051-20101224-1300.jpgIMG00060-20101224-1324.jpgIMG-20110422-00041.jpgIMG-20110422-00040.jpg

boats are family projects and family fun so a couple are of me and my son and dog working before launch then there is the launch and of course a couple of action shots.

The upholstery and carpet is all new now. 2 new gas tanks. New Battery. New Lower Unit. I have all said and done $400 in the boat. Core shavings from transom and floor are nice and bright. Has factory fiberglass still on the floor. I need to do a wet sand and buff to make her like new again but she is a good runner and has pulled 350 lbs on a tube, with another 300 in the boat. Max speed via GPS one person is 39

CaptainMak

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can I get in ?

Just got this 1977 Masterline 17' with a Mercruiser 165 HP inline 6. All original interior in pretty good shape.
****If anyone knows anything about these boats, PM me ! I can't find ANY info on this boat****

Masterline1.jpgMasterline2.jpgMasterline3.jpgMasterline4.jpg

bigdil

Cadet

Hi, I'm Dil, My first post...

I recently purchased my first boat, its a Tri-Hull and hasn't touched water since I've bought her about a month ago. She is a 1979 Sport Craft with a 70 HP Johnson. I've spent dozens of hours replacing the trailer hubs, re-wiring, replacing seats, etc. The motor seems to have a bad automatic choke, but she starts right up when I manually close the choke, and runs great. I would appreciate any and all suggestions!!! Thanks!!

dil

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

I recently purchased my first boat, its a Tri-Hull and hasn't touched water since I've bought her about a month ago. She is a 1979 Sport Craft with a 70 HP Johnson. I've spent dozens of hours replacing the trailer hubs, re-wiring, replacing seats, etc. The motor seems to have a bad automatic choke, but she starts right up when I manually close the choke, and runs great. I would appreciate any and all suggestions!!! Thanks!!

dil
welcome aboard!! For the motor, id suggestions posting in the engine section, many great mechanically inclined folks hang out there!

bigdil

Cadet

welcome aboard!! For the motor, id suggestions posting in the engine section, many great mechanically inclined folks hang out there!

CPO, This weekend I tried to replace the wiring in the bow (replace the light wiring and add an air horn) and found the wiring to be (glued using foam insulation) on the starboard side. Any suggestions on breaking through that foam easily?

dil

tallcanadian

Captain

dil

OMG. I hate you. lol. Just kidding. What a gorgeous boat. Welcome to the forum. I've been on the lookout for a tri hull as well but all I can find is junk. Anything worth a look, they ask a crap load of money for. Very very nice boat.

bigdil

Cadet

tallcanadian

LOL, well, I agree with you that it appears to be a nice boat. I purchased it for $400USD (motor and trailer included) and fixed the trailer, fuel line, replaced the all the seats, and all wiring. I've been looking for a decent boat for many many years and I saw this (seriously) on craigslist, so I jumped on it.

I hope it was a good deal for me.

dil

bigdil

Cadet

image.jpg
tallcanadian

LOL, well, I agree with you that it appears to be a nice boat. I purchased it for $400USD (motor and trailer included) and fixed the trailer, fuel line, replaced the all the seats, and all wiring. I've been looking for a decent boat for many many years and I saw this (seriously) on craigslist, so I jumped on it.

I hope it was a good deal for me.

dil

Well, took her out today, was on the water about 9 hours! Motor ran strong but seemed starved for fuel after running full throttle for 5-10 minutes straight. My buddy loosened the cap on the gas can and it seemed to solve the problem. I guess the can breather is plugged. All considered, great day! Caught fish, can tell lies about them, home safe, and only had to get the boat off two hidden/unmarked sand bars lol. I'm thinking of modifying the trailer to make it easier to load the boat. We came back after dark so I couldn't see the trailer while loading so the boat is sitting off center. Considering converting to rollers.... Suggestions? Thanks!

dil

Last edited:

woosterken

Lieutenant

put guide on poles on the trailer with lites on them :)

solve two problems in one shot, helps load the boat , and keeps tail lite out of the water.

woosterken