Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

Farns6015

Cadet
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

OK, I took some pictures of my Tri Hull, I wanna join the club. She runs and floats just doesn't go faster than I can run. I am still trying to figure that one out. the pics might not be the best but here they are.

Its taken a long time to get it where it is now. It might not be the prettiest but its come a long long way.

Attachments

• IMG_20110815_143538.jpg
    IMG_20110815_143538.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110815_143803.jpg
    IMG_20110815_143803.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110815_143829.jpg
    IMG_20110815_143829.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110815_144015.jpg
    IMG_20110815_144015.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20110815_144049.jpg
    IMG_20110815_144049.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 0

jimbodog

Cadet

OK, I took some pictures of my Tri Hull, I wanna join the club. She runs and floats just doesn't go faster than I can run. I am still trying to figure that one out. the pics might not be the best but here they are.

Its taken a long time to get it where it is now. It might not be the prettiest but its come a long long way.
Picture #4 is a great shot of how you mounted the seats--you can join the club--I am not the moderator--just trying to rebuild this old LUND that is in great shape....I want to join also. Thanks for the help..I am rewiring today 8/16/11

redfury

Commander

finally got the pics to post!

don't think i'll set any speed records with this, but the ol' original mercruiser is still strong... maybe the speedo is off, but WOT only yields 35mph... plenty for goofing... but again, not setting any speed records!

I'd think with a properly running motor hitting the proper RPM range you should be able to see better than 35mph out of that boat. I've seen guys with outboard versions posting numbers close to 55mph with 125hp motors ( max hp for the 17' Glastrons of this vintage ).

I'm hoping mine will hit close to 40 with the 125 Force I have ready for it when I get mine done.

Your boat may just have water logged foam under the deck that is slowing it down ( too much weight )

pgerblonski

Cadet

That is a really great looking boat!!! Aint nothing wrong with 35mph!!

thanks! it really is in great shape, especially for a 35yo boat... (yeah, it's a 1976 179-T) previous owners have taken great care if it!

- p

pgerblonski

Cadet

I'd think with a properly running motor hitting the proper RPM range you should be able to see better than 35mph out of that boat. I've seen guys with outboard versions posting numbers close to 55mph with 125hp motors ( max hp for the 17' Glastrons of this vintage ).

I'm hoping mine will hit close to 40 with the 125 Force I have ready for it when I get mine done.

Your boat may just have water logged foam under the deck that is slowing it down ( too much weight )

The engine in the boat is a (stock i'm told) 140 mercruiser - had it out yesterday and took along my handheld gps, and sure enough, 35 is the actual (max) speed running at approx 4000 rpm...

not sure if that's where i'm "supposed" to be cruising (4k) - i.e. throttle cable issues, or if someone slipped a different pitch prop on the boat...? i had heard 55 was the advertised top speed w/ some actually pushing 60, but i'm definitely not there yet! guess i need to check the prop...

any ideas what the cruising rpm of a 1976 Mercruiser 140 (4cyl) should be?
any ideas out there about what the stock prop specs were?

i don't think i'm fighting a waterlog issue... boat has been stored inside most of its days, and spent all of last year out of the water (prior to my acquisition) so i'm thinking at least my first few trips she'd was dry... at least when i first hit the water!

- dan aka pedro

parrisw

Ensign

thanks! it really is in great shape, especially for a 35yo boat... (yeah, it's a 1976 179-T) previous owners have taken great care if it!

- p

Cool, my boat is a 1965, check out the link in my thread.

The engine in the boat is a (stock i'm told) 140 mercruiser - had it out yesterday and took along my handheld gps, and sure enough, 35 is the actual (max) speed running at approx 4000 rpm...

not sure if that's where i'm "supposed" to be cruising (4k) - i.e. throttle cable issues, or if someone slipped a different pitch prop on the boat...? i had heard 55 was the advertised top speed w/ some actually pushing 60, but i'm definitely not there yet! guess i need to check the prop...

any ideas what the cruising rpm of a 1976 Mercruiser 140 (4cyl) should be?
any ideas out there about what the stock prop specs were?

i don't think i'm fighting a waterlog issue... boat has been stored inside most of its days, and spent all of last year out of the water (prior to my acquisition) so i'm thinking at least my first few trips she'd was dry... at least when i first hit the water!

- dan aka pedro

My best guess is that 4000rpm for that and most inboards is about right. If you have the
Manual for it, it should tell you max rpm specs.

woosterken

Lieutenant

according to the little book that came with my '74 merc.
the max RPM at WOT for your 140 hp is 4200-4600

woosterken

Farns6015

Cadet

Picture #4 is a great shot of how you mounted the seats--you can join the club--I am not the moderator--just trying to rebuild this old LUND that is in great shape....I want to join also. Thanks for the help..I am rewiring today 8/16/11

have fun with the rewire. anything under a dash is really fun and awkward.

txarmydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got one for ya! Mine is a 1977 Cobalt TriHull. When I bought it it had a Mercruiser 888, 188 HP that was full of water. From the looks of things, the boat had been sunk or had really taken on a lot of water. But whatever, I paid 500 bucks for the boat and trailer and went to work on it.

Here are some pics:

The first two are when I first got the boat, the middle one is after I finished all the wood trim and console, and the last two are right after the motor was installed.

2010-10-14 10.43.32.jpg2010-10-14 10.45.25.jpg2010-10-19 18.52.54.jpg2011-07-09 18.17.23_Adair_Missouri_US.jpg2011-07-09 18.17.39_Adair_Missouri_US.jpg

Next post will show it on the lake...

txarmydude

Petty Officer 2nd Class

More pics; The dog is actually scared out of his mind! I had to drag him by the harness to get him in the boat...

2011-07-16 13.01.25.jpg2011-07-16 15.51.43_Sunrise Beach_Missouri_US.jpg2011-07-16 12.36.27.jpg2011-07-16 15.38.35.jpg2011-07-16 09.00.58_Dixon_Missouri_US.jpg

I'm still trying to get some of the bugs worked out, but she'll get there!!!

jimbodog

Cadet

have fun with the rewire. anything under a dash is really fun and awkward.
As you say the dash was really fun!!--I put in a Junction box for future wiring such as a radio or tape deck or a spot light and a trolling motor. I need to R&R the trailer (put new tires on today) but need to drop boat off to have a wiring harness installed and the carb's rebuilt....Then I can redue the rollers (dry rotted) and new rugs...paint....

pgerblonski

Cadet

according to the little book that came with my '74 merc.
the max RPM at WOT for your 140 hp is 4200-4600

woosterken

well i finally got off my lazy tail and checked the prop, it's a 14.25 x 21 it is a "mercury" 3 blade.

but given the vintage, i'm guessing this is not the original prop - the previous owners also installed a "stingray" plate (is plate the correct shortened term?)

i'm wondering, based on what i am reading regarding pitch, and engine rpm that this prop might be a touch too aggressive, which is cutting engine rpm and/or top speed? i'm further presuming that the 'stingray' is helping the boat plane out anyway, and allowing me to have a decent ride on plane, albeit at lower speeds...? am i wrong in this line of thinking? (highly likely, this is my first foray into boat ownership... though i suspect owning a boat is much more like "owning a cat" which generally means you are permitted to fancy yourself important to the cat whilst it finds humor in your presence, after which you are welcome to leave it alone)...

ideas? anyone have a manual for one of these out there with specs?

this is a 1976 glastron, t-179
mercruiser i/o 140
current prop, as noted above, is a 14.25 x 21 (mercury)

the engine has been recently tuned (this spring by the previous owner), and runs quite well, (sound and responsiveness within the rpm range)

whilst running @ WOT:
max water speed achieved 35mph
max RPM approx 4k

- dan

jimbodog

Cadet

hey.. that sounds like planning ahead... are we *allowed* to do that kind of thing around here? :)
I am trying to keep my (Break Out Another Thousand) project under a thousand...It's a goal anyway. Here is hoping to join--I noticed my pictures didn't post and am wondereing what happened. They posted initially and then were removed. This is my first time using this forum and hope to post the pictures as I progress....thanks for your remarks

redfury

Commander

Pgerblonski, you may want to consider the possibility of your boats weight being a factor due to water logged foam under the deck. When you pull your drain plug, do you get a constant dripping? That's usually a good indicator of water logged foam. Glastron used open cell foam "2x4's" for floatation foam inbetween the stringers and they are great at sucking up and retaining water/weight.

weekender1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i hope i'm still in the club with the boats i have but wanted to know if there is any threads on or showing some one redoing there flooring and stringers and also has any one in the club replaced the flotation foam on the boat if so how much do you need just for the stringers to the sides?

redfury

Commander

what do you want to see exactly? My links show my boat up to the deck replacement. Not necessarily an instructional set of pictures though. Oops! has a better thread covering that on the "hull extension with pics" thread.

Pechetr

Cadet

Here is my "before" pic. I am finishing up the partial restoration soon and will post follow up pics. It is a 1975 Princecraft with a 1980 Johnson 115.

DSC01486 (800x381).jpgDSC01489 (800x600).jpgDSC01488 (800x600).jpg