Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

ccarver

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a definite winter project, I just bought it this week ! Don't know much the engine, but I'll be tinkering with it soon.

Carver

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1318178781915.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1318178781915.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1318178831892.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1318178831892.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1318178863442.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1318178863442.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1318178810268.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1318178810268.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 0

LuckyBassTard

Recruit

cougarjim

Cadet
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

ccarver
Looks like we are in the same boat so to speak. I just bought this boat last Saturday.
1970 reniell 16ft with trailer and 1970 115 hp Johnson. will start project when money allows.
I pulled the old carpet back a bit and it has a fiberglass floor. I thought they all had wood floors.
Same way with my engine, I don't know if it will run or not.
I have some fiberglass work on both sides at the transom. I am just trying figure out how to get the mold trim off. I think I will replace it with a differant type.
Engine was suppose to have been rebuilt 3 years ago. I don't know about that but what the heck, I only paid $250.00 for it. If the motor will run I will be money ahead. Just the trailer is worth moor than I paid for the entire rig.

Marlinrifle003.jpg

Marlinrifle006.jpg

Marlinrifle004.jpg

Marlinrifle009.jpg

Marlinrifle007.jpg

parrisw

Ensign

ccarver
Looks like we are in the same boat so to speak. I just bought this boat last Saturday.
1970 reniell 16ft with trailer and 1970 115 hp Johnson. will start project when money allows.
I pulled the old carpet back a bit and it has a fiberglass floor. I thought they all had wood floors.
Same way with my engine, I don't know if it will run or not.
I have some fiberglass work on both sides at the transom. I am just trying figure out how to get the mold trim off. I think I will replace it with a differant type.
Engine was suppose to have been rebuilt 3 years ago. I don't know about that but what the heck, I only paid $250.00 for it. If the motor will run I will be money ahead. Just the trailer is worth moor than I paid for the entire rig.

Good looking project you have there.

Yes the floor is wood, but its covered in a layer or two of fiberglass.

cougarjim

Cadet

Thanks Parrisw, I didn't know that. That is a dilemma, I don't know whether to tear the floor out or not, it seems like it is pretty firm, Is there any way to check it without tearing the floor out?

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey cougarjim from my limited knowledge you could to a dill check somewhere by where you see a screw and you should be able to drill thru the floor and into the stringer if it comes out dry your good and you can fill the hole with (fill in the blank i forgot what they call it one of the other helpers here may be able to tell you what it is) if not i would consider breaking the old c'saw and cut her up. Have fun and i am for sure in the TRI-Hull club now
View attachment 117594
View attachment 117595
View attachment 117596
i had to redo my floor but at least the stringer were in good shape

cougarjim

Cadet

Thanks ryanlewis
I will do the drill test and then just fill the hole with wood putty. When I glue the new carpet down the glue will probably seal it pretty good.

ccarver

Petty Officer 2nd Class

CC,
the hull looks to be in great shape, with a little elbow grease
check out these articles............

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,27,00.html

http://forums.fiberglassics.com/mfg/restoring_glossgelcoat.htm

the motor is a 120hp mercruiser what year is she?

woosterken

im guessing shes an 86? i found some serial number but none match up to what ive found, the only ones ive found (which are like 4 differnt ones all over the engine) are only like 4 or 5 digit numbers and when trying to find a year all the numbers are like 8 digits with letters, but im thinking its a 86 4 straight line cylinder.

Today i got the rub rail off and took all the screws out, now im trying to cut were its fiberglassed to the boat, i want to make a center console type of boat ill attatch a picture what i kinda want it to look like. The floor feels solid but since im taking stuff off i might at well completly take everything out. the transform has a small crack but is pretty solid, ill get more detail later, might just wait till next winter to fix that. the hull has a small rubbed off spot on the lowest point of the boat (my guess is just docking it on shore so many times) i want to flip it over sand it and re glass it and paint it of course :p

View attachment 117625View attachment 117626View attachment 117627

parrisw

Ensign

Thanks Parrisw, I didn't know that. That is a dilemma, I don't know whether to tear the floor out or not, it seems like it is pretty firm, Is there any way to check it without tearing the floor out?

Walk all over it first to see if there are any soft spots, wack it with a hammer, drill test holes.

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

hey what ya know i gave someone information that was correct and backed up by someone els :) thats a first seeing how ive only owned a boat for 2 weeks but thats just how good the people are on here about working with you and teaching you, and just being friendly

JDA1975

Lieutenant

yeah I was confused when I started mine thought it was fiberglass floor as well because inspecting thru drains i could see no wood, only fiberglass....but I took the advice of the knowledgeable people here and cut up some for inspection. Turns out we were both right...It was a fiberglass floor....because all the wood had rotted

Rot.jpg

Ryanlewis2010

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya isnt it funny how that happens i wish mine had been alt east fiber glassed in Don't ask me how it was only rotted where the two seats were IDK but it was the original factory floor with no fiberglass and some of it was still real sollid

Dakota Dave

Seaman Apprentice

pontoon 111.jpgpontoon 110.jpgI bought a 70 Crestliner this fall. Hope to get it in the shop after harvest is done and get it done by spring. Bought a srcond one a Glastron for the trailer. its probably going to the land fill.View attachment 117962

cougarjim

Cadet

Yahoo my motor runs. Put some gas in today and turned the key and it started with about two revolutions. The only thing is it died after about 30 seconds and would not start untill I discovered the choke was staying on. When I manually held the choke open it fired right up and ran good. When I let go of the choke it would close again and the motor would die. What the *$%^#@ is causing the choke to stay on?
Jim

woosterken

Lieutenant

CJ,
check to see if it has a return spring on it.
or if its like the car chocks it has a coil spring that when its hot releases the chock.

woosterken

JDA1975

Lieutenant

Mines still upside down but if i flip the picture its lake ready!

IMG_3215.jpg

cougarjim

Cadet

Thanks woosterken
Yea tomorrow I will tinker with it until I figure it out. I noticed there is a coil spring but it will not run long enough for it to open the choke, I have to hold it in the up position for it to run. No big deal I am just happy the motor runs.

lefty1820

Cadet

I'm new to the forum and would like to join the club. Where can I do that?

Picked up a 1970 Crestliner Muskie 15' with running 50hp Johnson/trailer....for FREE!! Been restoring it the past month and on thru this winter to have ready for next spring.

Check my Fotki album for progress pics.
http://public.fotki.com/Lefty1820/1970-crestliner-muskie/

100_8703.jpg100_8779.jpg

tallcanadian

Captain

I'm new to the forum and would like to join the club. Where can I do that?

Picked up a 1970 Crestliner Muskie 15' with running 70hp Johnson/trailer....for FREE!! Been restoring it the past month and on thru this winter to have ready for next spring.

Check my Fotki album for progress pics.
http://public.fotki.com/Lefty1820/1970-crestliner-muskie/

View attachment 120447View attachment 120448

Very nice job on the boat. I love the graphics. Awesome.