Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

• Total voters

redfury

Commander
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe?

If the floors and transom are solid with no "soft spots" and the Gel coat isn't spiderwebbed anywhere and the motor was well taken care of, I'd consider it for a grand. Sometimes you can find a good deal out there on an old boat, it's just rare.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm in. I'm glad the rule was established it doesn't have to work! It does float, but that's about all it does. It's in mid restoration now. It's some slow going work, but I'm getting there. One of these days I'll get it in the water with stringers and seats and a deck and stuff and hopefully combine that with some forward motion and a lot of fishing. One day... :)

Boat1.jpg

Well Hello All,

Ending Up Picking Up The Sea Sprite Today

Got Home A Little Late But Was Able To Fuel Up The Gas Tank And Take A Trip Out To The Lake

Went Very Well For It's Age

Little Trouble With The Tilt Trailor, Need A Little Practice With It

P.S. Hope To Get Some Pics Up

Andrew.hobbs

Cadet

I'm in if there is still room in the club...:)
This is my family's 1981 ThunderCraft 160ss with a Mercury 80hp Thunderbolt..it's in the middle of restoration. They bought it in 1984 when i was 5 years old...I'm trying to fix it up for my son so he can have as much fun on it as I did!!
IMG_1355 (Large).jpg

jimbodog

Cadet
Re: Tri-Hull Club...Yes? No? Maybe? Looks as if it could be an earlier"Lund".

Ok, I hope these load. here is my tri-hull

Thanks, shane

Is you boat a earlier LUND--I have a 1976 with a 50 mercury and your features are very similiar..:).

Last edited:

instantheet

Cadet

can i please joine i have a 1968 Thunderbird Tri hullIMG00223.jpgIMG00224.jpgIMG00225.jpg:)

Last edited:

mahend

Cadet

i have a rotted out 71 muskie 17 that i am currently in the process of reviving, i work road construction so not alot of free time to get it done but i would love to join the tri-hull club

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

2011-06-14120841.jpg

1991 Galaxie 19' deckboat with 4.3 Mercruiser and Alpha one gen II. Some of the best money I ever spent. I have since buffed out the gelcoat. I will get some recent pics and interior pics soon.

jimbodog

Cadet

How did you mount the seats? I Got some 13 1/2 inch pedestal to mount my fiber-glass seats and a little afraid of going threw the floor with screws. Did you see my pictures of my LUND?

southkogs

Staff member

I want in!! I finally got mine cleaned up and couple of decent photos of it. 1972 Silverline Comoro 18T:

Silverline_Back.jpg
Silverline_Front.jpg

Farns6015

Cadet

72 15ft Starcraft Capri

I have been tinkering with this boat for a couple of years now and have not been able to get anything more than about 7mph. Because of this, I hardly use the boat. I was told by someone who tested the motor that the compression is good on all 3 cyl but that only 2 carbs out of 3 were getting fuel. So I rebuilt all 3 carbs and now all 3 are getting plenty of fuel.

The motor fires right up and idles fine. I do not have a tach set up and do not know how to set one up on the motor. For the life of me I can not find the book i bought for the motor to see if it will show me how to hook up the tach.

Reason for mentioning the tach is because after reading a few posts I believe it is important to know your rpms at fullthrottle and the speed to figure out the difference in pitch needed to bring up speed also with regards to the length of the boat.

The current propeller is a 13.75 x 15. Michigan Wheel p/n 011002

I think I should move to a 13 x 19 M/W- 011004, but I am not 100% sure and do not want to spend the money to find out I am wrong.

can anyone help me figure this out, PLEASE!

the motor is an Evinrude-Johnson 65hp 3cyl pleasure (outboard) 1972-1973
15ft tri-hull starcraft capri

normally holding 2 adults and 1-2 kids approx 450-500lbs

p.s. if you hold onto the prop and pull?push in and out on shaft there is minimal movement, is this normal or terribly bad?

Farns6015

Cadet

How did you mount the seats? I Got some 13 1/2 inch pedestal to mount my fiber-glass seats and a little afraid of going threw the floor with screws. Did you see my pictures of my LUND?

I just put in new carpet and took out the back to backs (took up to much room) and I should have ripped out the floor and put in some marine grade wood but I dont have the money for that now.

I put in two stand alone Triton seats on a swivel and 13in pedestals. At first I used stainless steel lag bolts right into the floor but noticed the floor being fiberglass bowed on either edge when you lean in the seat as the bottom of the pedestal is small in circumference. so i took them back out and got two pieces of sturdy plywood that i sealed with Kilz paint and then carpeted them to match the floor. I attached the pedestal to that wood with the lag bolts and now with a larger diameter base I bolted the wood to the floor and works perfect.

Just make sure you use stainless steel for anything you do for hardware.

Good luck I hope this helps.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

72 15ft Starcraft Capri

I have been tinkering with this boat for a couple of years now and have not been able to get anything more than about 7mph. Because of this, I hardly use the boat. I was told by someone who tested the motor that the compression is good on all 3 cyl but that only 2 carbs out of 3 were getting fuel. So I rebuilt all 3 carbs and now all 3 are getting plenty of fuel.

The motor fires right up and idles fine. I do not have a tach set up and do not know how to set one up on the motor. For the life of me I can not find the book i bought for the motor to see if it will show me how to hook up the tach.

Reason for mentioning the tach is because after reading a few posts I believe it is important to know your rpms at fullthrottle and the speed to figure out the difference in pitch needed to bring up speed also with regards to the length of the boat.

The current propeller is a 13.75 x 15. Michigan Wheel p/n 011002

I think I should move to a 13 x 19 M/W- 011004, but I am not 100% sure and do not want to spend the money to find out I am wrong.

can anyone help me figure this out, PLEASE!

the motor is an Evinrude-Johnson 65hp 3cyl pleasure (outboard) 1972-1973
15ft tri-hull starcraft capri

normally holding 2 adults and 1-2 kids approx 450-500lbs

p.s. if you hold onto the prop and pull?push in and out on shaft there is minimal movement, is this normal or terribly bad?

hi....welcome to iboats !

your motor has issues or you forgot to unleash the trailer from the bottom of the boat...
the 65 will make that boat fly.....at least 30 mph.

post your problem in the merc out board section of iboats forums.....our guys will get you running in no time

jimbodog

Cadet

I just put in new carpet and took out the back to backs (took up to much room) and I should have ripped out the floor and put in some marine grade wood but I dont have the money for that now.

I put in two stand alone Triton seats on a swivel and 13in pedestals. At first I used stainless steel lag bolts right into the floor but noticed the floor being fiberglass bowed on either edge when you lean in the seat as the bottom of the pedestal is small in circumference. so i took them back out and got two pieces of sturdy plywood that i sealed with Kilz paint and then carpeted them to match the floor. I attached the pedestal to that wood with the lag bolts and now with a larger diameter base I bolted the wood to the floor and works perfect.

Just make sure you use stainless steel for anything you do for hardware.

Good luck I hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply--how large was each piece of plywood? (12"x12")

redfury

Commander

even more importantly than using SS is to seal the holes your fasteners are going into, or water will eventually wick into them and rot out your floor. ;)

pgerblonski

Cadet

new to (finally) owning a boat and went with a vintage glastron tri-hull! i wanna join! :) NC chapter here...

dan aka pgerblonski

finally got the pics to post!

don't think i'll set any speed records with this, but the ol' original mercruiser is still strong... maybe the speedo is off, but WOT only yields 35mph... plenty for goofing... but again, not setting any speed records!

IMAG0018.jpg
IMAG0020.jpg
IMAG0026.jpg

parrisw

Ensign

finally got the pics to post!

don't think i'll set any speed records with this, but the ol' original mercruiser is still strong... maybe the speedo is off, but WOT only yields 35mph... plenty for goofing... but again, not setting any speed records!

That is a really great looking boat!!! Aint nothing wrong with 35mph!!

Farns6015

Cadet

Thanks for the reply--how large was each piece of plywood? (12"x12")

the pieces I used were approx 24"x24", the seats I used were fairly large, much larger than the folding walmart seats.

Farns6015

Cadet

hi....welcome to iboats !

your motor has issues or you forgot to unleash the trailer from the bottom of the boat...
the 65 will make that boat fly.....at least 30 mph.

post your problem in the merc out board section of iboats forums.....our guys will get you running in no time

Thats funny, I thought I was saving time by leaving the trailer hooked up so all I have to do is hook it back up to the truck when done. I guess I could see how taking the trailer off would increase my speed, I should try that next time. ;)

lol, but thanks for the merc out board section tip.