Transom repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom repair

Ok, I'm done wrestling with this decision. The top is coming off for this rebuild. How can I best support the hull? Is the trailer enough? I'm a big guy 6'3" 295 and I'm concerned about structural integrity during rebuild. Seems like the foam n stringers were a major part of the boats strength. The keel feels solid when im in the boat but the area between the keel n trailer rails has noticeable give. Any thoughts?

I'm with WOG on this, we need to see pictures. I can tell you on mine I left most of the stringers in the boat until I finished my transom. I used the shell of my stringer as a guide for the new one before I complete cut out the old one. I didn't want a warp hull and I'm a newbie.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Are the aft portion of the stringers attached to the transom? Again Pics Please!!!

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Port side stringer is gone from transom to dash kick board. Starboard stringer is attached to transom and is mostly intact except for a two foot section midship. Almost all foam is removed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 3

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

When I say that the starboard stringer is intact I mean that I haven't ripped it out yet. It will need to be replaced. The stringers were originally connected to the transom. Only the starboard stringer remains partially connected to the transom

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, you're prolly gunna need to build a cradle and take her off the trailer and onto the cradle. Do some searching here on the forum for cradles. Lots of good ones to learn from. You'll need bunks to support the areas you mentioned. I really like the way this guy built his...
IMG_2432.jpg

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Here is a clear picture of the original stringer design. Thnx for the cradle example Wood. There was a rotted 1x10 on top of the foam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 4

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is a clear picture of the original stringer design. Thnx for the cradle example Wood. There was a rotted 1x10 on top of the foam

Obie, I think that is the 1st time I have seen stringers designed like that. 2lbs foam is pretty strong I could stand on mine when cured no problems (I weigh 220lbs). Looking at your foam it looks like it is denser than 2lbs. I would take a lots of pics and measurements of the stringers and work on those last. I say that when I got my transom done it made it easier to get in and out of my boat being able to go over the transom I was paranoid about damaging my hull sides. US Composites has got various foam desities and they list the specs on thier website.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep, there's a similar build going on here on the forum. You could use the blue/Pink slab foam to fabricate similar stringers and then use 24 oz woven roving and 3 layers of 1808 Biax to recreate a stronger better verision of them. That's what I'd do. They are a very good design and make a very strong hull and deck.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Obie, I think that is the 1st time I have seen stringers designed like that. 2lbs foam is pretty strong I could stand on mine when cured no problems (I weigh 220lbs). Looking at your foam it looks like it is denser than 2lbs. I would take a lots of pics and measurements of the stringers and work on those last. I say that when I got my transom done it made it easier to get in and out of my boat being able to go over the transom I was paranoid about damaging my hull sides. US Composites has got various foam desities and they list the specs on thier website.
The wood was completely shot but the foam is strong as he!! It's water logged which meant it had to come out but it's taking a 10 pound hand held sledge and a chisel!

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Yep, there's a similar build going on here on the forum. You could use the blue/Pink slab foam to fabricate similar stringers and then use 24 oz woven roving and 3 layers of 1808 Biax to recreate a stronger better verision of them. That's what I'd do. They are a very good design and make a very strong hull and deck.
Wood, thnx for the input. Ill be asking you for how to details when I get there. Won't be able to work on it again til Monday. Will post pics n progress then. Thanks again for all the help.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't that is 2lbs flotation foam. If I ever have to take my foam out it will be easy for the most part, I essentially made foam blocks. Never thought I would use PAM cooking spray on a boat restoration.

The wood was completely shot but the foam is strong as he!! It's water logged which meant it had to come out but it's taking a 10 pound hand held sledge and a chisel!

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Anyone have any thoughts as to why the keel bilge was engineered this way? At the bow is a small triangular cutout in the decking to apparently let water in with the foot wide bilge running the length of the keel. Wouldn't it be better to seal up all the decking, create a rear bulkhead for the bilge pump, and fill the keel bilge channel with foam?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Is your keel Wood filled? Personally I like the design. As long as the glassing is good and the keel is installed properly this will allow any water that ever gets below deck to flow well to the bilge for pump out and drainage. Did this boat have a ski locker originally?

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Wood, not sure if the keel is wood filled or not. If it was would it be easily identifiable? Not sure if a ski locker was there from the factory since the deck had been redone. Suppose I could always add one but it would have to be very shallow. Don't know how practical it would be

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Obie, looks like it could go either way. Question is what was it originally designed to do? I modified my structure with lots of research and talked to a current boat builder and asked for his thoughts and opinion before I did anything.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

This circled area is what I'm asking about. Is it filled with wood in the recessed area (Keel)?
What are you digging out?
YourKeel.jpg

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Wood, good question. I thought it was material from the tear out. Now I'm gonna have to look closer.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

The good ol days when I thought my biggest problem was how to make her shine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 2

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Is delamination when your fiberglass lifts from the gel coat/skin of the boat? If part of my glass has separated from the bottom of the hull on the inside what do I do to repair? My boat is 16.5' long by 89" wide nearly rectangular. any thoughts on material needed to rebuild? Planning on ordering Friday

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

It's impssible to give an exact "Quote" of everything you'll need but this list will get you "Started" and from there, after you've done some "Glassin" you should have a good idea of what you'll need to "Finish-UP"

This is my Guess-Ti-Mate for a typical 4 stringer 16' boat doing stringers, deck, and transom.

15 -20 Gallons 435 Polyester Resin
10 qts Cabosil
1 lbs 1/4" chopped strand fibers
(1 qt of Glass bubbles IF you need/want to make your own Fairing putty)
25 yds 1.5 oz CSM
15 yds 1708 Biaxial Cloth
2 dozen 1 qt plastic mixing buckets and stir sticks
1 - 1/2" x 5" Fiberglass "Bubble" roller
2 dozen Short nap 6" nylon roller covers and trays
2 dozen 3" Chip Brushes (cut ? the length of the bristles off)

Status
Not open for further replies.