Transom repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Transom repair

What I did on my foam was took the length of the area to be foamed X width (Center to hull) X depth of foam then multiply that by 2. Then you will have to take a guess at the depth of your foam because of your shape this is why you measure from your center line of your boat. Multiply the number by two (2) will give you the mirror effect; like combining two triangles to make a square or a rectangle. This worked for me. You will need to purchase extra foam on top of the number you get since pourable foam is unpredictable and you will have some waste and you my have foam that may not fully expand. I came out pretty close to what I had calculated and found space to use my excess. If you would like you can PM me with your numbers and I will work them for you. Luckily for me I was taking a math class at the time I was working the problem and my mom was a math teacher.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's impssible to give an exact "Quote" of everything you'll need but this list will get you "Started" and from there, after you've done some "Glassin" you should have a good idea of what you'll need to "Finish-UP"

This is my Guess-Ti-Mate for a typical 4 stringer 16' boat doing stringers, deck, and transom.

15 -20 Gallons 435 Polyester Resin
10 qts Cabosil
1 lbs 1/4" chopped strand fibers
(1 qt of Glass bubbles IF you need/want to make your own Fairing putty)
25 yds 1.5 oz CSM
15 yds 1708 Biaxial Cloth
2 dozen 1 qt plastic mixing buckets and stir sticks
1 - 1/2" x 5" Fiberglass "Bubble" roller
2 dozen Short nap 6" nylon roller covers and trays
2 dozen 3" Chip Brushes (cut ? the length of the bristles off)

WOG has this material thing down to a science, it's scary:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

My list, as stated, is just a Guess-Ti-Mate that's intended to get you close on your first order. You'll prolly end up ordering a few more items before you're done.;)
As Bill says foam is kinda tricky but you can get kinda close. Pretty simple. It's just a matter of calculating cubic ft. Here's how I do it. Measure the Length of your longest stringer and the Height of your Highest stringer. Then Measure the Width of your boat at it's widest point. Now Multiply all 3. Example. If the Length was 180 inches and the width was 84 inches and the height was 8" you would get a total of 120,960 cubic inches. To convert this to cubic ft you would divide that number by 1,728 and you would get 70 cubic ft. Now since your boat slants upward towards the bow and the port and starboard sides I allow for this by dividing the final cubic ft number by 3 and get a final number of 23.3 cubic ft. I round that up to 24 cubic ft and this usually works out to be a close approximation of what you'll need. It's not Perfect, but Close enuogh for me. You may want to try and be more precise. It's up to you.;)

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

My list, as stated, is just a Guess-Ti-Mate that's intended to get you close on your first order. You'll prolly end up ordering a few more items before you're done.;)
As Bill says foam is kinda tricky but you can get kinda close. Pretty simple. It's just a matter of calculating cubic ft. Here's how I do it. Measure the Length of your longest stringer and the Height of your Highest stringer. Then Measure the Width of your boat at it's widest point. Now Multiply all 3. Example. If the Length was 180 inches and the width was 84 inches and the height was 8" you would get a total of 120,960 cubic inches. To convert this to cubic ft you would divide that number by 1,728 and you would get 70 cubic ft. Now since your boat slants upward towards the bow and the port and starboard sides I allow for this by dividing the final cubic ft number by 3 and get a final number of 23.3 cubic ft. I round that up to 24 cubic ft and this usually works out to be a close approximation of what you'll need. It's not Perfect, but Close enuogh for me. You may want to try and be more precise. It's up to you.;)

Just ran the numbers I worked with and that is pretty darn close. I came out with 14 cu ft and would had purchased 16 (economical) which would have worked if it weren't for newbie waste and inexperience. I ended up using 20 though I found a space that needed and could use the foam so that is where I put my extra 4 cu ft. I knew I was short on flotation based on the weight of my boat prior to restore. I'm curious as to what "my dry weight" will be once every thing is done. Gonna be interesting how wet my boat really was before the restore.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the help n feedback. Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the path least recommended. I decided to cut instead of pop. I know many of you suggested popping the top but the thought of not getting it all back together caused me to lose sleep. I got the bow walkway cut and removed. Splashwell mostly cut will remove tomorrow. 5hrs logged today here are a few pics. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work this is going to take. I find myself secretly cruising Craigslist in hopes of finding a better boat! But I'm gonna stay the course. With y'all's support n expertise I'm sure ill be able to getrdun. As a famous singer once crooned, if you can't be with the boat you want captain love the boat you're with ;p

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all for the help n feedback. Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the path least recommended. I decided to cut instead of pop. I know many of you suggested popping the top but the thought of not getting it all back together caused me to lose sleep. I got the bow walkway cut and removed. Splashwell mostly cut will remove tomorrow. 5hrs logged today here are a few pics. I'm feeling overwhelmed by the amount of work this is going to take. I find myself secretly cruising Craigslist in hopes of finding a better boat! But I'm gonna stay the course. With y'all's support n expertise I'm sure ill be able to getrdun. As a famous singer once crooned, if you can't be with the boat you want captain love the boat you're with ;p

You will get there just think of all of the money you are saving by not paying someone by the hour for the work. Not going to help you on materials though, but you know what is going into your boat.
Save as much as the splashwell as you can. If need be you can cut more later, it will help you get the shape back when you reconstruct it.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

"When I bought this boat, I didn't realize at the time just how much of a rebuild it was going to be, but as I got into it more and more, it turned into a lot more work than I imagined. It was enjoyable, but some days I wondered "What was I thinking?". I didn't really have a clear vision of whether I just wanted something to get on the water, or wanted to do a more thorough update & resoration. It's a good idea to decide that before starting!"
i came across this statement in the completed projects section and realized that this has indeed been my problem. The side of me that loves excellence and doing a job right has been at war with the part of me that just wants to get back on the water and have fun. The old Indian proverb says that the eagle who chases two rabbits catches neither one. How true! I'm going to restore this boat. I'm going to accept that this summer is a wash. I'm going to do this right. Hope you join me for the journey and feel free to lend your expertise and encoragement whenever you can.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 3

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

"When I bought this boat, I didn't realize at the time just how much of a rebuild it was going to be, but as I got into it more and more, it turned into a lot more work than I imagined. It was enjoyable, but some days I wondered "What was I thinking?". I didn't really have a clear vision of whether I just wanted something to get on the water, or wanted to do a more thorough update & resoration. It's a good idea to decide that before starting!"
i came across this statement in the completed projects section and realized that this has indeed been my problem. The side of me that loves excellence and doing a job right has been at war with the part of me that just wants to get back on the water and have fun. The old Indian proverb says that the eagle who chases two rabbits catches neither one. How true! I'm going to restore this boat. I'm going to accept that this summer is a wash. I'm going to do this right. Hope you join me for the journey and feel free to lend your expertise and encoragement whenever you can.

I thought I was the only one that had that experience.

It goes pretty quick once you get the structure done, just take lots of pictures with time stamps. I was amazed at all the stuff I got done in the last 30 days.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

I recently found a 1970 rinkerbuilt tri hull with a 115 evinrude. The motor is not running but the hull, transom, decking are rock solid. I'm thinking of using it as a donor hull for my 1971 85hp evinrude. Controls seem identical as well as hull length, bolt pattern, motor length. This would put me back on the water for the rest of this year and give me the pressure free time I need to restore the larson. Anyone see a reason why I can't slap the 85 on, hook up the controls n go?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 3

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

if the hull is sound, the motor should fit with the same controls

rnied

Recruit
Hello all. I am so glad I found this old thread. I inherited a 71 Shark 165 with a 85 hp Johnson of the same year. First thing I did was rebuild lower unit and now I am starting to notice all of the same things described here. I contemplated parting it out but there is something about this boat that I really like. I don't have much boat experience but I am a quick learner and am good with my hands. This thread has helped me save this boat from the dump. 20210826_181401.jpg20220411_171653.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.