Transom repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Transom repair

Thnx noob. Hope you have success w your boat. Fortunately for me, the time and money are not the problem. The plan of attack and lack of experience are what I'm finding challenging. All the terminology is new. I have a question. If I decide to leave the top on, can I cut the back skin off instead of cutting the splash well to gain access to and rebuild the transom. Like I said, I'm struggling with the plan of attack.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do Not cut the back skin off!!!! I posted a pic of the method you can use if you don't want to remove the entire cap. There is no easy way to do the transom. It is what it is. Either the splashwell has to be cut or the cap has to be removed. No other way!

jbcurt00

Staff member

I wouldn't recommend removing the exterior transom skin

Although more work, cap removal is my preferred method, cutting the splashwell is a distant 2nd.

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could, but that doesn't mean you should.

In the long run if you just bite the bullet and remove the cap you will be a lot happier.

The rebuild I am currently doing is my first of what i hope to be many.
As far as the plan of attack and figuring out how to do it. It's simple.
I make a list, lots of lists to be exact. I have 6 different word documents on my computer desktop to keep everything organized.

If I were you I would start with something like this:
1. crack a beer.
2.add some support for the hull
3. remove rub rail
4.remove cap
5 remove whats left of the deck
6. remove whats left of the foam
7. core drill stringers to determine core material/condition

From there you can determine if you need to cut out the stringers completely.
Either way you will have to remove some of stringer to R&R transom.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thnx noob. Hope you have success w your boat. Fortunately for me, the time and money are not the problem. The plan of attack and lack of experience are what I'm finding challenging. All the terminology is new. I have a question. If I decide to leave the top on, can I cut the back skin off instead of cutting the splash well to gain access to and rebuild the transom. Like I said, I'm struggling with the plan of attack.

Tiger, I spent 6 to 8 months reading and research before I ever started on my project and the last 19 months working on it. I never fiberglassed before. Had problems finding a work place, mother nature (heat and cold), death in the family and engineering issues.
I did cut my splashwell because my transom came out thicker than the original design. WOG issues out some pretty good advice and is really good on estimating the amount of materials that you will need. He so good at it, it's scary.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

i appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. please understand that when i ask questions it's not because i'm afraid of work or spending the money to do it right, i ask questions simply because i'm ignorant about boat restoring. i did some more junk removal, interior side panels, dash kick panels, foam etc... still have more to do but at least i now have a clear understanding of how the boat was made and what it will take to fix it. i also have decided on a game plan for restoration. updates and pics to come within the next few days. thanks again for all the feedback.

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

i appreciate all the feedback and encouragement. please understand that when i ask questions it's not because i'm afraid of work or spending the money to do it right, i ask questions simply because i'm ignorant about boat restoring. i did some more junk removal, interior side panels, dash kick panels, foam etc... still have more to do but at least i now have a clear understanding of how the boat was made and what it will take to fix it. i also have decided on a game plan for restoration. updates and pics to come within the next few days. thanks again for all the feedback.

Just take lots of pictures, you may need them as you get farther along. I'd suggest making notes but I'm not that organized. Don't get down if your game plan falls apart. Murphy likes showing his face and getting promoted past Private. But I can bet when you are done you will most likely done a better job than the maker. I had 1708 thrown on a stringer with a little bit of resin, I had never fiberglassed before but I know that was wrong. If you cut your splashwell send me a PM and I will tell you how I did mine. Not really that hard just a PITA.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep ^^^ make good records & measurements before demo begins.

I recommend taking pix w/ the tape measure visible. Can help w/ put back & a mostly permanent record of the measurements:
GEDC0382.jpg

Vinnys

Seaman

There is a lot of good advice here and on the internet. I have a mako 17 angler with the transom cut out, inner skin only and floor is out 3 feet in and the stringer cut back. I feel your pain.
My classic mako is a good place to look also.
What I am finding difficult is what route. NIDA pore, Sea Cast, Coosa, or marine ply.
Make sure you get out all rotten wood, sand any remaining wood on fiberglass follow the advise of the people who have been hear too.

My friends and I now spell boat with 2 T's. Bring out another two thousand.

As stated in a previous reply your boat will be better than the stock if yo do it right.

Vinny

Keep posting

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Did a little more demo today. I've decided to completely clean out what I can get to before I make my decision to cut the glass or pop the top. Port side stringer removed up to bow/dash Starboard side begun.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 4

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did a little more demo today. I've decided to completely clean out what I can get to before I make my decision to cut the glass or pop the top. Port side stringer removed up to bow/dash Starboard side begun.

Another option is you could just cut the back portion of the cap off. That is what I did I didn't have space for the cap and the boat. In all reality anything you do is going to have it's own set of challenges to deal with.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

if i decide to cut, i'm not only gonna have to cut the splash well to rebuild the transom, i'm also gonna have to cut part of the bow glass to access the stringers/bow decking. (today) i'm leaning towards popping the top. what are various methods for supporting the hull? i've seen all thread ran through holes in the hull, i've also seen wooden boat stands. any thoughts?

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

if i decide to cut, i'm not only gonna have to cut the splash well to rebuild the transom, i'm also gonna have to cut part of the bow glass to access the stringers/bow decking. (today) i'm leaning towards popping the top. what are various methods for supporting the hull? i've seen all thread ran through holes in the hull, i've also seen wooden boat stands. any thoughts?

You may not have to go that far. My outer stringers stopped where your feet are sitting at the wheel. I had decent dry wood in the bow area so I made a decent cut and mated up the new portion, filled and sealed the gap with hairy PB and used some extra glass in the joint area. Turned out rather nice once I figured out what to do. A few beers and looking and thinking about the problem does wonders sometimes.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

You may not have to go that far. My outer stringers stopped where your feet are sitting at the wheel. I had decent dry wood in the bow area so I made a decent cut and mated up the new portion, filled and sealed the gap with hairy PB and used some extra glass in the joint area. Turned out rather nice once I figured out what to do. A few beers and looking and thinking about the problem does wonders sometimes.
i was hoping that my stringers stopped at the kick panels but i havent been able to determine with any kind of certainty if they do or not. i looked up the keel and the woven is shaped like it holds stringers approx another 2 feet past the dash/kick panels. still trying to dig n pry to find out for sure. if they stop, that would be a big blessing and would make my decision much easier. will investigate further. also, i have a friend that has some white oak that is willing to donate to the project. its planks in various lengths widths and thicknesses. i know i cant use planking material for the transom but would it be preferred for the stringers over other types of wood? thanks again for all the feedback.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You could use the white oak but...very heavy, not necessary, and IMHO, not as good as using ext. Grade plywood. But since it's Free and Free is Always Good!!! then it's entirely your call. White Oak is used in the Wooden Boat building industry All the time and is one of the most preferred woods. Kinda pricey but in your case, that's not a problem.:D

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just used plywood for mine, I didn't want to mess with cutting them either so I had the lumber yard cut the length wise 7in wide. They just had the dumbest look on their face until I told them what it was for. Once I got them to my work area nailed and glued what I needed for width then I shaped the to fit then the glassing started. Once done I dropped it in the boat and glassed it in the boat. So it essentially got doubled glassed. I only had two bulkheads orginally creating an 8ft span. I talked to someone who builds boats and he said today they would use more bulkheads so I but in bulkheads every 2ft and where my plywood panal met up I doubled the with so I could screw the panals in. Didn't realize how strong 2lbs foam was at the time so it's a little over kill. But my deck didn't flex with the panals just laying there. Darn sure don't flex when screwed and glassed in. I get a joy just jumping on it now. Can't wait for the water test though.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

Wood, are you saying you would replicate the original design of foam filled woven topped with plywood plank?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I would really like to see exactly what you have once it's cleaned up a bit more and we can see exactly how it's built. If it's what I think it is, I'm leaning towards going back the way it was designed and built, yes! Maybe not Exactly the same but pretty close.

ObieTiger

Seaman Apprentice

. How can I best support the hull? Is the trailer enough? I'm a big guy 6'3" 295 and I'm concerned about structural integrity during rebuild. Seems like the foam n stringers were a major part of the boats strength. The keel feels solid when im in the boat but the area between the keel n trailer rails has noticeable give. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.