Tracker hull damage. Lots of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: Tracker hull damage. Lots of it!!

Dammit man! That's not a boat, that's a colander!!!

Patch prep looks good! Throw the patches on 'er and give 'er the dry land water test, if all is good taker to the water and see what happens.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Dammit man! That's not a boat, that's a colander!!!

Got that right!

I was considering putting a screw into that 1st real bad gash, and using a vice grip or pliers to try and pull it out as best as I can. I figure if I can flatten it out a bit better, than at least there will be more surface area for adhesion. Bad idea?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I keep telling ya... you don't NEED "adhesion"... the metal and rivets will be as strong as or stronger than the original boat..... the 5200 is ONLY there to seal the patch so it doesn't leak

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Got that right!

I was considering putting a screw into that 1st real bad gash, and using a vice grip or pliers to try and pull it out as best as I can. I figure if I can flatten it out a bit better, than at least there will be more surface area for adhesion. Bad idea?

Sounds like a plan to me Dawg.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rivet Spacing...I drilled pilot holes in my first patch as my rivets and tools have FINALLY arrived after over a week (that's what I get for being in Canada)...Smoke mentioned in a previous post to space the rivets at 1/4". I've actually spaced a bit more than that from the pilot holes, and have roughly 1\4" between the heads of the rivets themselves.

Is my spacing OK? I've got lots of aluminum to play with and want this to be right. I really hate the idea of drilling dozens of holes into the actual hull, and cannot backtrack once I've started.

2e983592.jpg

Yes this is aluminum, but still has the plastic on it

b42a9edb.jpg

Can the rivets be too close, and actually sacrifice the structural integrity of the hull by having too many holes?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

DANG DUDE!!! did you shoot that thing with a machine gun or what?;)

I just went out and measured the spacing on my riveted hull. The closest spacing is on the seams and it's about 3/4 - 7/8". I think you could go to 1" and be fine.

If it doesn't look like the patch is conforming to the hull like it should you can always drill between the rivets already there and add more... but I'm pretty sure 1" centers will be plenty enough rivets in your patch.

I notice in your pic you only have 2 sides drilled on your patch, you are going to drill and rivet all 4 sides of the patch eh?

... btw, don't listen to Smoke. He's high on polyester resin fumes and gets confused a lot.:rolleyes:

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'll go with 1" centers, and yes all sides will have rivets. I think my test patch was a bit too large as well. I'll redo it.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My prep work for the 2 patches are complete.

Here's "the abyss"...some on here will surely think that filling with marine JB weld prior to patching was a waste of time, and maybe it was, but it gives me a level surface. Drilling 14 new holes in the hull just seemed so so wrong!

46fb54aa.jpg

I started by drilling 1/8" pilot holes and screwed it down as I went along just to make sure all the holes would line up perfectly against the uneven (dented) hull.

92fbccb1.jpg

And here's the larger longer crack (roughly a 4-5" crack, and a 6 inch patch)

4f88d5db.jpg

acd4961e.jpg

I'm now ready to lather up the patches and rivet them on!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Dude this boats gonna be back on track in no time. Good work man! You should give it a nick-name. "Patches"

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Lookin' real good Dawg!

Don't forget to dip the end of each rivet in a bit of epoxy before installation.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone! I finished my 2 patches. I couldn't find the epoxy locally, so I sealed with 5200. What a mess I am now. All the rivets pulled in real tight, and it seems nice and solid. I can't imagine it will leak now. Once this cures, I will do the fill test.

a309aced.jpg

4c957744.jpg

Once this is cured, and is leak free, then I'm planning on cleaning it up, priming and painting.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my 3 or 4 hairline cracks, is there a better method to repair other than patching? I'll patch if that's the recommended option.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You are doing a great job on those patches, I'd vote keep on with that:)

Also...

You'll find that Mineral Spirits on a shop towel (or your finger) does a nice job cleaning/smoothing out the 5200 right after install.

I'd goop up the mandrel holes in your rivets too.

Well done!:D

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You'll find that Mineral Spirits on a shop towel (or your finger) does a nice job cleaning/smoothing out the 5200 right after install.

I'd goop up the mandrel holes in your rivets too.

Well done!:D

Thanks, I'll give the mineral spirits a try...and yes that makes sense to fill the mandrel holes before painting. They're steel mandrel, so any extra protection against corrosion cant hurt.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

On my 3 or 4 hairline cracks, is there a better method to repair other than patching? I'll patch if that's the recommended option.

Welding and patching are the two best permanent fixes, anything else will be temporary.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welding and patching are the two best permanent fixes, anything else will be temporary.

So...looks like I've got 9 more patches to go:)

@ 2 per day, I should be done in a week or so.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Did you drill a small hole at the very end of the crack to prevent it from spreading??

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you drill a small hole at the very end of the crack to prevent it from spreading??
Oh yes. I don't want to be doing this again any time soon.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got my 9 patches all ready to go. Just need to rivet them on now.

8ab69a0b.jpg

I also ordered some Zinc Chromate primer to finish off any bare aluminum...Do I need to prep the aluminum other than an acid bath before spraying with the primer?

I've also discovered some paint bubbles on my transom...and of course...it's pitting and corrosion...some of the bubbles were filled with white powder like substance, while the larger bubbles looked like they were filled with salt crystals! I took a wire cup brush on a drill to anything that I could get to. I took off the tranducer, and will also get around the speedo. The previous owner told me he had a short in the ignition and ended up re-wiring it, so my 1st thought is that this is the result of galvanic corrosion from a stray current / bad wiring, 2nd from salt and a worn out zinc, and my 3rd thought is that this boat is a lemon. Of course it could be any of the 3, but why would salt only attack the transom?

Some of you will laugh at this, and some will cry...I'm sure most will laugh though...not at the damage, but at my bad luck (well not really bad luck, but lack of proper research before buying this boat).

e83a5ce8.jpg

bdebc4f8.jpg

13e3fe53.jpg

I've read some Tracker forums, and it seems that I'm not alone with this type of transom corrosion of some Trackers.

I'm sure the engine will likely blow up, and the wheels will surely fall of the trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.