Tracker hull damage. Lots of it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Tracker hull damage. Lots of it!!

Do you have any good pictures of the splash well and how it is attacthed??

I could swear I saw what looked like rivets holding in in from the outside of the boat in one of your other pics,...

These?

e83a5ce8.jpg

I can take some better pics of the transom when I get home later

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Meh, as long as the shavings are light in color I wouldn't worry about it too much right now. Have fun in the summer sun and make this a winter project, that transom won't rot between now and November.

Be sure to goop up that transom bolt with some 5200 before you stick it back in.

Those all welded hulls are a PITA for the DIYer... unless you're a welder.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've got my ZC primer. What type of paint should I use? Will a rattle can of automotive "duplicolor" or something similar work below the waterline? It really doesn't have to look all that pretty, and I'm sure I wont find an perfect color match, but I do want it to stick. I see a lot of people on here using rustoleum products, but I cant find it locally. Duplicolor and Tremclad seem to be the rattle can brands around here.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

From what I understand, Tremclad is Canadian Rustoleum. For a trailered boat, any of the stuff you mentioned will work fine.

fishrdan

Admiral

Call Tracker and get the paint code(s) for your boat. Then take those to an automotive paint store to see what they can do, or if that paint crosses over to any vehicle. I'm guessing it would cost $50+ for the paint and supplies to perfectly match your hull. Maybe there is a spray ready mixed spray bomb for your paint color, my Crestliner blue is from a Bentley. I had to repaint the transom 2-tone and supplies (2 qt paint, catalyst, reducer, wax remover, etc, etc..) were about $100, matches perfect!

The spot painting you'll need to do underneath won't match (I doubt, I tried to spot my transom and it was hideous) which I don't think is a big deal, but if you paint the entire transom and mask off at the corner, no one will notice any slight variation in color match.

Either that or just slather on some Rusto and call it a day

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got my paint color from Tracker a while back "Platinum Silver". From what I understand there are no paint codes for boats like there are for automobiles.

paint.jpg

I bought this from Great lakes skipper so I could get as close a match as possible when I take it to the hardware store to get my paint. It's not much bigger than a bottle of fingernail polish.

This boat wont be over nighting very often...well not unless my patches don't hold up...so I think I'll just match with a spray of whatever auto paint is close, and see how that works.

I'm really hoping to get this boat wet real soon

fishrdan

Admiral

Did you call Tracker to inquire about the paint codes? If Tracker gives you a "deer in the headlights reaction", that wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes: I would be shocked if they didn't have the paint codes as, how is one of their boats ever going to be repaired, or how are they going to supply more paint to their factory without paint codes, recipe for the paint?

When I spoke to Crestliner they knew exactly what I was after and were able to supply me with the automotive style paint codes, they even told me the paint that was used, (PPG something or another). Heck,,, They used to even have the paint codes on their website under the owner section...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

As long as you zinc it I think you should be good to go with any "for metal" spray paint dog... it's just an ol' patch on an ol' fishin' boat.;)

Heck, just paint them primer gray and call your boat "The Battle Ax" or "Chainsaw".

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did you call Tracker to inquire about the paint codes? If Tracker gives you a "deer in the headlights reaction", that wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes: I would be shocked if they didn't have the paint codes as, how is one of their boats ever going to be repaired, or how are they going to supply more paint to their factory without paint codes, recipe for the paint?

Actually it wasn't the deer in the headlights reaction so much, but more of nuicance that I would have the nerve to ask such a question. She originally said "NO CODES, IT A BOAT NOT A CAR", but eventually after giving my HID was able to tell me the name of the color by tracker. That's it. Maybe I just caught a disgruntled employee having a bad day.

I'm sure Tracker has paint codes, but it didn't seem to be information they share with their call center employee's / boat owners. Oh well, for me it doesn't really matter.

As long as you zinc it I think you should be good to go with any "for metal" spray paint dog... it's just an ol' patch on an ol' fishin' boat.;)

Heck, just paint them primer gray and call your boat "The Battle Ax" or "Chainsaw".

Yup, My goal is to not have the "holy crap, what the heck happened to that hull" reaction from innocent passer by's when trailering down the road...and I also hate looking it right now.

Haha Chainsaw. My patch work may be ugly, but chainsaw??

fishrdan

Admiral

She originally said "NO CODES, IT A BOAT NOT A CAR",

She sounds really helpful, customer service at it's best :rolleyes:

I wonder if automotive paint stores have chip books anymore? You could paint up something with that touch-up bottle and match it to a chip book. It might not be as good as having a qt of paint mixed to a paint code, but should be better than having a bad mis-match that looks gawd awful.

carpedium

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the look of your patches... its the rugged look!

Great thread - good luck with the paint job, dog.

BonairII

Commander

I will replace it if I absolutely have to, but as far as easy, well I'm not so sure about that. It's an all welded hull, and the transom cap is actually also welded right onto the transom...so I would need to grind it off, then later hire a welder to reattach later...and that's assuming I can remove the old wood in 1 piece from the top.

I'm going to take out a transom through bolt to perhaps get a better look at the condition.

Hang your body weight on the motor and see if the transom flexes. If it doesn't, you should be good to go. It's certainly not the scientific way to check a transom, but at least it may give you peace of mind for now.

You could always throw on one of those "transom saver" plates to distribute the weight across the transom.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like the look of your patches... its the rugged look!

Great thread - good luck with the paint job, dog.

Thanks carp, you've got some good stuff on the go as well..Gonna be a nice rig for ya.
My patch job is certainly looking better than the very awful patch job done by the previous owner that I was able to remove mostly with my hands. Rugged look...ya let's go with that!

Hang your body weight on the motor and see if the transom flexes. If it doesn't, you should be good to go. It's certainly not the scientific way to check a transom, but at least it may give you peace of mind for now.

You could always throw on one of those "transom saver" plates to distribute the weight across the transom.

That was my 1st test, and no flex at all. There is a plate already that does not look like a factory job, but I could be wrong. I'll post a pic when I get home.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's the plate that my motor mounts to.

a0674d30.jpg

I got a couple coats of ZC on the transom

06878e4a.jpg

a5d1c8d0.jpg

7d0d1406.jpg

It came out kinda rough / grainy to the touch. Normal? Should I hit it with some sand paper before applying my paint?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Here's the plate that my motor mounts to.

a0674d30.jpg

I believe that plate is factory, but I don't think the big washers are. You should clean the old grease off of that steering ram and lubricate that system, turn the steering wheel so the ram is all the way in and attach your grease gun to the zerk that's in between the 2 black hooks of the motor. Pump it full until grease starts coming out where the ram goes in.

It came out kinda rough / grainy to the touch. Normal? Should I hit it with some sand paper before applying my paint?

You can hit the ZC with some 220 grit to smooth it out, just don't take too much off.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya, once I'm done with the cosmetics, then I'm going to clean everything up and hit all the zerk points with some grease. That 220 smoothed it out good.

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm Done!!

Transom isn't a perfect color match, and certainly not a perfect paint job, but I'm happy with it. Looks close enough to me.

6f3ac6f4.jpg

8190c651.jpg

5f73e1eb.jpg

efdog

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The patches came out great!! They almost look like they're supposed to be there. My spray bomb skills were also better after practicing on the transom.

4bc57de1.jpg

f874f4b1.jpg

0be725a7.jpg

9023ccc6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.