Tore the transom ...how to repair? (pics)

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tore the transom ...how to repair? (pics)

Some solid progress at last.

At it for 13 hours straight today.

Got the bottom stuffed with foam:

Starcraft-2013-Aug-10-6074.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-10-6076.jpg

Don't think I could get much more in there.

This is all that is left from two 4x8 sheets and six 2-8 sheets of 1" thick extruded polystyrene insulation,

Starcraft-2013-Aug-10-6073.jpg

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Floor is in!

Starcraft-2013-Aug-10-6082.jpg

I ended up deciding to use rivets instead of screws and I'm glad i did. They pull the floor down nicely and are easy to install and won't break when being installed. These are large head rivets from Jay Cee

Starcraft-2013-Aug-10-6083.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Looking great! nice work

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the transom will get pulled out this time, Bill. All good looking work. :D

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Congratulations on an extremely well done job!:thumb:

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys for the very kind words.

A little more progress:

The splashwell is back in, all the trim installed, the corners on, and what the buck-babe calls "my swim fins" (aka the Smart Tabs SX Trim Tabs) are installed.

Went through a whole tube of 5200 today.

That stuff has to be second only to never-sieze for its uncanny ability to get all over everything!!

Pics:

Starcraft-2013-Aug-11-6096.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-11-6101.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-11-6097.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-11-6098.jpg

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Tomorrow is courage day...have to find enough to drill the splashwell drain holes and the motor mounting bolt pattern in my nice new transom!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Save the liquid courage until the 'after party' :watermelon:

Then imbibe as necessary....

The usual good looking progress! Congrats.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Tomorrow is courage day...have to find enough to drill the splashwell drain holes and the motor mounting bolt pattern in my nice new transom!

I haven't reached that point yet, but I can assure you that I will take the very sage advice given by those much smarter than me in times past...
Measure, then measure again, and again...mark the locations, measure once more...walk away, take a break...then come back refreshed and quintuple check everything, making absolutely sure every mark is spot on...steady your nerves...and go for it...:faint2::eek::rolleyes::lol:

Actually one of the easiest ways to measure for the mounting bolts is to make a cardboard template of the mounting bracket...

At least the splash well drains are still clearly marked...

If you don't have a way to drill your holes accurately at 90? to the transom, like one of these...

spin_prod_206167101

You can use a block of wood with one good flat side, place the flat side down on a drill press table and drill a pilot hole...this will give your drill bit a good guide for drilling into the transom at 90?...start with the smallest holes and gradually open the guide up to the largest holes...

Good luck and have fun!:D

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yesterday was a very good day.

Motor mounting day!

First thing to do was to mark a master line on the boat that was straight, square, and level. Has to be perfect (or really close to it), as everything else is built from that.

I started at the intersection of the side and the stern, right where the corners meet (red arrow). This was below where I has mounted the Smart Tabs, so to move it up, I set the corner of the ruler on this point and marked a point where the ruler intersected the side panel at exactly 3" (blue arrow). I did the same on the other side. These two marks became the points between which we snapped the blue chalk line that you see. This was our master line.

It wasn't until stepping back that we realized the my marks also lined up perfectly with the visible die marks on the side panels left over from when the stabilizing ribse were rolled in the side (green arrow)

Starcraft-2013-Aug-13-6104-2.jpg

Shot from further away.

Starcraft-2013-Aug-13-6104.jpg

Next we laid some green masking tape on the stern so we could draw some prallel and perpendicular lines with a pencil. Then, by measuring, we laid out the the motor mounting bolt pattern by hand, using the standard ABYC dimensions (that I had confirmed my motor uses).

With the pattern laid out and double checked, we centre-punched the centres of the holes.

My good friend Justin who was helping me with all this (and who is also infinitely more patient and careful and talented than I am) made a jig to start and guide the drill bit exactly perpendicular (90*) to the stern out of scrap aluminum. Basically a bar to clamp to the stern with a big 1/2" bushing pressed into the end.

Looks like this:

Starcraft-2013-Aug-13-6103.jpg

In order to get it centred, we used a transfer punch, inserted in the drill guide. We used the transfer point punch to find and stick in the centre-punched mark, then aligned the drill guide and clamped it to the stern, ready to drill.

Starcraft-2013-Aug-13-6108.jpg

Then it was just a matter fo drilling the holse carefully, using the guide. I used fairly light pressure and high speed.

Starcraft-2013-Aug-13-6111.jpg

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

Jeeze Bill you're slipping. Over a month to beautifully do 6 months worth of work? Now get out there and use that thing.

oldjeep

Admiral

And I hate to ask, but where are your transom hooks - isn't that what started this whole adventure?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks real god, Bill. How are ya gonna tube?

iamsaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

great rebuild! very informative!

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are the backing bars for the motor mount. Some of the excess sealant needs to be cleaned up.

Starcraft-2013-Aug-15-6135.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-15-6141.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-15-6138.jpg

Starcraft-2013-Aug-15-6140.jpg