Tore the transom ...how to repair? (pics)

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tore the transom ...how to repair? (pics)

I'm going to do some thinking and reflecting and come back in a couple of days with a list of my thoughts and some "If I were to do it all over agains"

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Looks great, Bill. But who was having more fun, you or the kids. :)

And the transom is still one piece? You tested the heck out of it.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Looks like a super successful splash, Congratulations on a job very well done!:thumb:
Thanks for sharing the great water fun pics!:D

oldjeep

Admiral

Looks great, glad to see it in use. Now burn that tube and buy those kids a ski ;)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey Bill caught your thread the other day and just finished reading up on your awesome rebuild of the little SC V5. Here I thought my SN 3 month restoration went quick! You were like greased lightening tearing through the daunting tasks at hand.

Great job on a super sweet boat! Thanks for the ride along.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Really nice work and a marathon rebuild.

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys for the very kind words

I added up the costs...which is sometimes not a very good idea. But, despite the reputation boat ownership has, I am finding it fairly reasonable (compared to, say, running a rock-racer, rock-crawling buggy - in which I could do $2k damage in a weekend!).

I look at it this way - the "mechanicals" of the boat should be good for another 30+ years now.

Here's what went into the project, for those that may be interested (prices in 2013 dollars, inclusive of shipping where applicable. Some are $US some are $Cdn - the difference as I write this not being worth worrying about):

costs.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

2100 bucks well spent I'd say. Even with the upgrades. :D

fishrdan

Admiral

Wow Bill, you really got to it and knocked that out quick. Nice work!

Gas tank strapped down.

Starcraft-2013-Aug-17-6155.jpg

I didn't read through the whole thread, but how tight is the tank inside the aluminum brackets? (Can't tell from the pics.)

Plastic tanks grow about 3% when exposed to gas, so if the brackets are snug up against the tank, the sharp edges of the aluminum angles could eventually wear/poke through. That tank looks to be about 3' long, so it will probably grow about an inch in length, maybe 1/2" in width.

oldjeep

Admiral

That's not bad at all for a complete rebuild, you can just about spend that on a slalom ski. Ought to give you years of trouble free fun.

Watermann

I didn't read through the whole thread, but how tight is the tank inside the aluminum brackets? (Can't tell from the pics.)

Plastic tanks grow about 3% when exposed to gas, so if the brackets are snug up against the tank, the sharp edges of the aluminum angles could eventually wear/poke through. That tank looks to be about 3' long, so it will probably grow about an inch in length, maybe 1/2" in width.

Bill, if you decide to re-think the tank mounting, here is a link to what I did for mine. http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...a-nymph-ss160-resto-590579-9.html#post4232135

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great, Bill. But who was having more fun, you or the kids. :)

And the transom is still one piece? You tested the heck out of it.

:D They're having fun...but I must admit I'm busting with pride!

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great, glad to see it in use. Now burn that tube and buy those kids a ski ;)

OK Chuck - Kids are 11 and 14...where do I start? (i.e. types of skis, gear, etc?)

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Bill caught your thread the other day and just finished reading up on your awesome rebuild of the little SC V5. Here I thought my SN 3 month restoration went quick! You were like greased lightening tearing through the daunting tasks at hand.

Great job on a super sweet boat! Thanks for the ride along.

Really nice work and a marathon rebuild.

Thanks guys, very much. Many a time I was tempted to take a short cut but this forum and all you guys "watching" kept me on the straight and narrow - it was worth it!

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the tip. I set the brackets in place with the tank full of gas, and allowed a little extra room for expansion due to temperature. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it's enough (I didn't leave a full inch of space).

BillaVista

Petty Officer 1st Class

Watermann

Thanks Bill, also take a look at the pages where I restored the motor and see if it looks familiar to you.

The seat bases are pin type, 3/4" Pin Boat Seat Pedestals - iboats

I found the Wise seats on a close out with steep discount at boatparts.net (Wise Seat 8WD588PLS662 DELUXE HI BACK BOAT SEAT W/O) In the forums iboats kills outside links to other sites that sell parts so no direct link.

oldjeep

Admiral

OK Chuck - Kids are 11 and 14...where do I start? (i.e. types of skis, gear, etc?)

Ski rope, pair of combo skis, maybe a wakeboard. All depends on what they want to learn to do. 11 is kind of in between junior and full sized combo skis, if you can find a set of 63-65" combos that are on the skinny side those would probabally work best for both kids.

Something like this maybe
HO Excel 63 Combo Waterskis | HO Water Skis | WaterSkis.com

If they want to try wakeboarding then make sure to consult a size chart for the boards you are looking at. My wife had a hell of a time wakeboarding until I realized that the boards that my sons were using were way too big for her little 5ft 2 self

Watermann

That's a very cool idea! I LOVE your boat...super cool. I'm going to read the whole thread, but I wonder if you could help with a shortcut and tell me about that fishing seat aft - what kind of seat and mounting that is and how you like it?

I forgot to add the part about the post, in the aft compartment I have metal spring clips like for brooms that hold the posts in place. The pin and post set up is in my opinion the best way to go for fishing seats mounts. I remove the post for out on the water boating so I can see better and for trailering.

Train who did a re-deck & transom job on his SN found a place with dent and ding pin & posts, got his for a steal. Check it out... http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...repair/fm161-1985-a-590281-5.html#post4208410