To Build a Boat (any boat)

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
1,707
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

For looks, it needs a whale tail out the back though.....as a minimum maybe install a set of hydrofoils on that motor...lol
 

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,171
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

lol yea... as far as trimming the transom no need.. I'm going to use an adjustable mount or a jackplate. :)
 

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
260
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Thats a good idea- too high and it will cavitate/vent, but too low and it creates too much drag. You want to find the "sweet spot"
 

Pony

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 27, 2004
Messages
4,355
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I dont know that it would matter that much.......the camper boat wouldnt be a performance machine.
 

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,171
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I'll still adjust it properly. performance or not I still want to get the most possible out of it. I'm still looking for a non high thrust motor because I'd like to not have the lower end stick down so far like this one.
 

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
May 27, 2002
Messages
1,599
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Does that motor have power trim/tilt or at least tilt? How will you lift it when you beach the camper? You're going to need a long plank or get your feet wet without tilt.
 

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
260
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Originally posted by Pony.:<br /> I dont know that it would matter that much.......the camper boat wouldnt be a performance machine.
But drag would decrease fuel economy, right? Even if you don't want to go fast, I'm pretty sure we all want to save a little at the pump. Just my opinion.
 

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,171
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> Does that motor have power trim/tilt or at least tilt? How will you lift it when you beach the camper? You're going to need a long plank or get your feet wet without tilt.
wasnt it you that was giving my trouble for wanting to put my plastic keel strips on for beaching? I dont mind getting my feet wet lol I'll lhave a towel in the cupboard... its a camper too remember. :)
 

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Just make a 25" transom and you're fine, no need for hydrofoils. I think you'd want the high-thrust to push this thing, the camper will have a lot of drag and a quicker, small-propped motor would just slip a lot and cavitate.<br />Eric
 

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,171
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

dont forget this is only 4' x 9' and a 10 or 15 hp is built for pushing bigger boats than this. Transom is at 20" because of the adjustable plate i'll be using. :)
 

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Joined
Jun 6, 2005
Messages
310
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wow, Wimp & friends you have hit the record for longest thread by far. I've been trying to follow along as best I can, but if I miss a few days, it's a few days to catch up...There is a lot of info here in your posts that would be benificial to lots of folks that are thinking of building a boat. Reading through 20+ pages it's kinda hard to keep up with anyone's project...<br /><br />1200 hundred+ post's has turned into a chat room...<br /><br />Just my thought, but...we are here to share info and give advice, (not always correct) and to share ideas.
 

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,171
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

:) Yes there is more info here than can be calculated... some valuable info and some just fun stuff. We have since moved our general conversations to a chatroom in which there is a link to on my every post. Feel free to join us there anytime. :) Always looking for new faces and new ideas and new advice. Hope to see ya in there.
 

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 24, 2005
Messages
1,171
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

This is a slow process due to available time and not having plans to go by but here's where the camper/boat sits as of tonight.<br /><br />Lotsa work to go yet.<br /><br /><br />Edit - Pictures moved to another server.<br /><br />
progress.jpg
<br /><br />
progress1.jpg
 

cpj

Ensign
Joined
Jun 14, 2005
Messages
958
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Lookin good dink! Cant wait to see it done.
 

Pony

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jun 27, 2004
Messages
4,355
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

So wimper, is the floor going to be slightly curved then in the finished product?
 

joblo33

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jan 19, 2005
Messages
501
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Looking good! <br />Isn't that gonna handle funny with the vertical sides, no V bottom and no change of width towards the bow? Most boats have at least some angle to the sides. I guess as long as it's not going high speeds it might not be a issue though.<br />Eric
 
Top