To Build a Boat (any boat)

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I just hope she ain't gonna be too top heavy. The stability of that might be a little interesting.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pony - The floor will be flat and about 80" long.<br /><br />Lark - The bottom will be a lot heavier than the top. The plywood on the bottom is twice as thick as the top + the 4" deep stringers + another 3/8" sheet for the floor + the foam under the floor + (knowing me 300 lbs of resin) + the 1.5" transom already weighs in at 32 lbs without the outer resin coating.<br /><br />Eric - I have absolutly no idea how its going to handle with the vertical sides. I'm just hoping the weight to the bottom holds it bottom side down. I figure that if its not stable in the water I have 2 options. Either some detachable outriggers or I can always add some slanted sides with what would look like a walkaround though only about 6 inches off the sides and slanted in to meet the bottom.<br /><br />Calico - yes i've considered your idea about usng a kayak for an outrigger/tender/liferaft. :D <br /><br />Tracker - Now that I gotta see. :) <br /><br />Coleman & CPJ - Thanks. I'm too excited to splash it.. I need to slow down and make sure its sealed before I do that. :D <br /><br />Untill later, I owe I owe so its off to work I go. Back to building next weekend.

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I reckon it would handle similar. Just no high speed sharp turns and you should be fine.

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

wimp im gonna need to re do the comic chat-better to go to the regular chat, or email, rater

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok im just checking in, this weekend i plan to finish the coamings, and paint the boat the really really really fast boat

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

make the coamings tall so you can toss the 40 on it. :)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Noone else building or planning to build these days? Moving slow in here lately. <br /><br />Calico Minimax? <br /><br />CPJ havent heard from you in ages. Whatever came of the kayak you were redesigning. <br /><br />Pony when are you going to get going on your jon boat. <br /><br />Tracker weren't you going to start something new? <br /><br />Jason B whatever came of the croc boat?

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry for the personal post just dont know any other way to contact cpj directly.<br /><br />CPJ I found one of those weedeater motors we discussed for your yak on ebay. its the bumblebee by tanaka. Item number: 4593711419

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Interesting engine wimper- but I would avoid it. Because the bumblebee was made when Tanaka and Airens were associated, and parts can no longer be found. It is cute though :)

cpj

Ensign

Im still here yall. Havent messed with the yak in awhile, been busy making belts and bilfolds for other people for christmas presents.I enjoy it and makes me some spare cash. Thanks for the ebay link dink, that was what i was talking about.If you need to contact me its: chris8485atsbcglobaldotnet

cpj

Ensign

After doing a google on tanaka ai found this on from their web site:<br />1.2 HP Motor<br />The motor is known as the Tanaka TOB-12B, TOB-120, or Sears 58513 / 58613, or the Aquabug AOB-120. This little motor weighed in at 14 pounds soaking wet. It has a 22cc air cooled engine with a direct drive (no centrifugal clutch) and a 2 blade propeller. This motor offers excellent portability and is perfect for people with canoes or small dingys.<br /><br /><br />They said small dinghys. :D

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the world of tanaka outboards the 1.2 was a legend. Next of course to the 3. Both are unstoppable.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Transom is on... a few other small things done, ready for hull bottom & floor. Still reengineering the top... Indecision is high. Including which motor to design this around.<br /><br />Edit - moved pictures to another server.<br /><br />
chrysler.jpg
<br /><br />
johnson.jpg

trackersocha

Petty Officer 2nd Class

IT IS sooooo cool but i diont think you need the 25 hp. i think it is overkill

cpj

Ensign

Originally posted by trackersocha:<br /> IT IS sooooo cool but i diont think you need the 25 hp. i think it is overkill
Nonsense Tracker! You can never have to big of a motor! :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol the whole project is a bit over kill. :) I'll probably strap the chrysler on first. The reason I dont like the idea of the chrysler is from the bottom of the skeg to the lower cav plate is 14". From skeg to the upper plate is 15¾". That might be a lil deep for beaching unless i'm doing 20 mph when I hit and have the motor up already.

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats what I do. Come in fast, kill + tilt the engine. But my skeg is only 10" from the bottom of the hull

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Damn Dink, you've been busy!<br /><br />I wish I could find motors as easily over here.<br /><br />My Minimax is coming along, top still ain't on, but I've done the motor board!<br /><br />I have since got another jonnyrude 4hp, so I am now re-building that. The guy told me that it was only good for parts. When I got it home and cleaned all the mud out of it, it looks like it will be a good engine.