Chief Petty Officer
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

all it needs is a few of these... <br />
6127732.JPG
<br /><br />Some foam... and I'll be ready to take her out... :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

calico you lost your captians hat in that fall... talk to cpj for a replacement :D <br /><br />Dave your "plan" looks uhh full of holes
24.gif
<br />dont forget the cornor posts<br /><br /> Wimps Chat is open

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Whats Captian doin with my kids... and he's seemed to have left one at the dock.... THEY even know to wear their life jackets when Captian periwinkle builds a boat and sets it to sail :D

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

damn, this time difference is killing me, I go to work and we hit page seven. And by the look of it, it's gunna hit 8 before I get out of bed!

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh yeah, just remebered something important about that resining I did.<br /><br />I put the test piece out in the sun in the morning, and let it get warm.<br />I then brought the piece inside and waited a couple of minutes for it to start cooling down.<br />I then put the two coats of resin on (15mins apart) while it was cooling. <br /><br />This prevents out-gassing, which is tiny particals of air trapped in the timber fiber that vent out to the atmosphere as the timber warms up. The reverse happens as it cools down. If you coat the timber with resin as it cools, it draws the resin into the fibre and makes a much stronger bond. I also didn't use to much hardener, I wanted a slow cure. If it cures too fast, it gets too hot and the whole process of preventing the out gassing is wasted. (p.s. It's warm over here at the moment. 30ish degrees C.)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wow your putting some thought into this huh... It makes sense but I know I personaly dont have the patience to warm all the wood up before I glass. :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

warm up the wood before you glass... or gas????<br /><br />Anyone know... I looked over my plans today and I think I'm going to change a few things.... But need some input..what I want to do is move enlarge the cockpit area.... to allow me to put my 2 buckets farther towards front... and then a small bench seat across the back, This would require leaving the mid deck framming out of the middle stringer... Does this make sense???? WEll it's gotto be the best built section just due to the shape of the boat. Just wondering if you think I could get away with leavin this out... without screwin with strucual crap. I would prolly add the curved "lifted" deck farther foward just "dummying" it up for looks and may add a windshield... <br /><br />Got Ideas???

JasonB

Lieutenant

Gee, with all this fun going on, I'll join the fray with the project I've been planning since before this thread came about. I picked up the materials last night to build one of these: Croc for my Dad to put in his pond. Then if I enjoy this build, I'll probably start something I can hang my 20hp merc on. Not sure if a mini-max is big enough for that..... I'll try to start a project page to share my progress.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jason neat little boat there. Take my advice though: don't take my advice!<br /><br />Are you building that with 3/8" AB ply? Epoxy, Poly?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Lark, that's some good planning, you're lucky to have the warm weather but then you're going into Summer now.<br /><br />Dave, just how many changes can ya make to a pallet anyway? What are you building again? Do you have a link?

JasonB

Lieutenant

The floor is 3/8, the sides are 1/4, and the transom is 1/2", reinforced with bracing. Due to the expense and difficulty of finding AC around here, I've had to go with BC and lots of sand paper. <br /><br />The construction of the boat doesn't require resin, but due to its intended use, I'll be soaking the entire boat in poly resin and adding a light layer of cloth to the bottom and a couple inches up the sides I think since it may stay in the water some. Haven't decided what paint to finish it with yet either....<br /><br />After restoring two 'glass boats, this should be a nice change of pace.<br /><br />I couldn't let Wimp have all the fun here in chilly Tennessee could I??? <br /><br />Hmmmm,, maybe I need to build a Mini-Max for my 20 and challenge Wimp to a drag race since he's not far away....<br /><br />Actually, I'm thinking about something like the Glen-L Squirt. just what I need....3 boats. I already have the 19' I/O and 15' tri-hull. I want something fast that draws little water for my 20hp. I have to travel nearly an hour to wet the other two. Somthing like the Squir could run in my local river.....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

jason I like the croc. Where ya from anyway? I'm all for a minimax drag race... we can linem up on either cherokee lake or douglas lake... or your choice :D just let me know before I purchase a motor... it may change my decision on what I get :D I've seen on other sites where one guy actually put a 35 hp motor on a minimax. I dont reccomend it but there are lots of them with 20 to 25 hp motors so it should handle your 20. :) If your nervous about it though you might consider building the Mini Most instead which is a lil heavier and a lil bigger and probably better suited for that size of motor. <br /><br />Calico I think Dave is building the sports hydro.<br /><br />Having trouble deciding the cornor post design for your pallet dave? :D <br /><br />p.s. Its nice to see new people getting involved in this post... The people that have been here awhile are getting a lil lippy.
24.gif
<br /><br />especially me! :D

JasonB

Lieutenant

I now live in Spring Hill, about 25 miles south of Nashville.<br /><br />I really like the Glen-L squirt, as I'm not sure my back can take the Mini's, but I may try it anyway. I can just see my daughter piloting the Squirt in a few years (she's only 2 now). I reserve the rightto start the trash talking after I get the Croc built and see how it turns out :eek: :rolleyes: Hmm, I could stretch the croc a bit and hang the 20 on it......<br /><br />How is everyone doing steering and throttle? My 20 is a tiller hadle motor.<br /><br />For reference, here was my last project, 1976 Glastron T-166: Pics

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

This is what I was thinking.... here is the original schems on it...<br /> <br /><br />
hydroscem.JPG
<br /><br /><br />And this is what I want to know about....<br />
hydromod.JPG
<br /><br />and I'm thinking the way the plans lay out... I will be ok structurally... I might have to beefin the sides of that one...even though they are solid anyways.. maybe double the sides
tn.SportsHydro.jpg

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think it should hold up just fine structurally, I think though being an hydro you might find differances in handling because it was originally designed to lift the front up on a cushion of air... if you move too much weight up front on that hull you might not get the designed effect. I would consider another hull design if your looking to carry more people

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure if I'm looking to carry more people... or try something different... lol<br /><br />I agree dink about the weight to a point... but it would only effect it during take off... If the motor is set up properly I should be able to get it to ride like it's suppose to on plane... as long as I don't have the 2 seats... on the bow.. facin backwards to steer, I don't think it would change too much too bad. It would all depend on how those 2 outer "points" hold up in water<br /><br />If it does then... well I'd be out the costs to build... have a funny ridin hydro or have to get mo power :eek: <br /><br />Good to see new blood. Motor is set up for controls... so thats taken care of :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Dave how about stretching the whole boat?<br /><br />You Tennesseeans know where Sewanee College is? I did a bunch of mtn. biking up there several years ago.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I thought of that as well CK... add 30" to the rear... but I'm havin hard enough time finding 14' lengths of wood... and buttin them together.. I'd be scared I'd loose the back 30" of boat knowing my luck<br /><br />Doesn't matter if they were at different points.. they'd find a way to break free sending my motor into a swirling raging mud swamped lake..... :D