To Build a Boat (any boat)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

Ha! so you're an LVF CPJ? That explains a lot! Me? A little of everything. Yep I wire houses, big ones, I do the lighting control and all that fancy stuff. I also do commercial buildouts and throw in on some of our industrial projects but not too much, we have an couple guys that are better trained for that. Lately I've been spending more time at a desk and less time with the tool belt on which is fine with me. And you can go drill your own damn holes!<br /><br />Boat is taped and coated on the bottom, Dave you spying? Drywall tape, that's so crazy it might just work. We'll see!

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Somehow...comming from a family of electricians... that seem to build just about anything out of everything... drywall tape is what first came to mind...lol

cpj

Ensign

All BS aside the mesh type drywall tape might just work.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I saw the drywall tape thing done somewhere else... lemme see if I can find it.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

templates... whats our deal with templates???? Few things:<br />1- not mass producing these<br />2- why cut a template...and not the real stuff<br />3- Uncle will have his yak built before you got those templates done<br />4- Iboats users are smart enough to NOT come to your house to pick up your templates to use<br />5- if your building it it will be wrong anyways...template or not<br />6- see #5<br /><br />Hows that???? good enough reason??? :p mlm :p

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

077369.jpg
<br /><br />Fiberglass drywall tape! I mixed the resin pretty much as recommended for the bottom. This part was easy, mix, spread, squeegee, repeat, repeat, repeat. The trick here was to get the resin out of the cup as fast as possible. Pot life and cure time are different due to heat buildup in the cup so spread it fast and don't mix too much at once. I mixed about 16oz. total in 8 batches. I used a squeegee made for Bondo body filler to spread the resin and scrape it down smooth. The resin is soaking in great, I'll leave it to cure tonight and wash it down tomorrow and put on the money coat.<br /><br />I'm a little worried about the old stuff. It seems to have bad adhesion and is more or less drying rather than curing. I'll have to look into that tomorrow also.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Startin to look good CK.... Wonder how much difference there is between the drywall tape and tape... I'll be interested to see how it holds up...

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

question ck... when you mix in some filler with resin, do you mix the hardener with the resin first then hurry up and thicken it then apply? I'd have to seriously rearrange my resin : hardener ratios :D

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Oh there's quite a difference. If you're going to use anything bigger than a paddle for motivation use the real thing. I'm really trying to see just how cheap I can be here and still float. I woudn't recommend anyone follow my example here unless they're looking to get wet and laughed at.<br /><br />Here's the real kicker: my one sheet is...<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.Luan underlayment. You know the solid core Luan veneer stuff? The stuff that weighs about ten pounds a sheet? The stuff that will void the warranty of any flooring installed over it? I don't know why it's even sold anymore but I had to use it just cuz. And the plans or instructions for this boat call for 1/2" ply and I'm using 1/4" of the crummiest stuff next to cardboard. When done my canoe should weigh around 20 pounds and be 17 or 18 feet long. I imagine it will fold in half when I get in it the first time but that's OK the pictures will be good :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol throw enough fiberglass on the luan and the wood just becomes a cheap core :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'll take the start of this page lol 7 pages yeesh I need a life :D <br /><br />Oh and response to the filler thing CK, I glued every joint and screwed everything together before I started with fiberglass so yet another reason I didnt bother with putting filler in the seams... just layed in cloth and resin to waterproof the seams.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

lol ck.... this will be interesting... might get off easy on your pics :D <br /><br />might suprise you... could hold up and think... you've re-invented the boat building world, Although I'm sure someone out there has used worse supplies...<br /><br />EDIT: YOU... I think theres a few more then just you that need the life...lol

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I need to go back to the my original plan of building the half size show boat. ugh that will come later... I have plans for a dug or prism, and a small tear drop camper to pull with my 4 banger car. <br /><br />Gonna build the camper with my newly found boat building skills. (if you can call them that) I have a homemade frame for a trike with a corvair engine in it. Impossible to explane its shape so I wont bother but I'm gonna pull the motor, backbone, front end, and turn it into a baby teardrop camper. Only room for a twin size mattress and some storage.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Wimperdink, Mix resin and hardener as you normally would then add filler. There are different thickeners/fillers for different applications. Example, when using epoxy as an adhesive an excellent filler is microfibers or another high density filler mixed to the consistency of paste. The filler actually adds bonding strength due to the fact that epoxy itself isn't terribly strong but it's bond is. When it is mixed with filler it's bonding surface area is greatly increased and as long as the filler is stable and dense you end up with a stronger compound.<br /><br />For fairing and filleting the idea is to thicken the resin to keep it from running out and a low density filler is best like microballoons.<br /><br />Special fillers like graphite and aluminum are used for surface properties in a coating application.<br /><br />I'm talking epoxy here you realize. Poly should be similar except that poly is not really a good adhesive compared to epoxy.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I've seen some really cool tear drop campers... only a bed inside.. but the outside back had a hatch that opens up and and theres a stove, sink and fridge... wish I knew where that was at.... they were plans I was looking at somewhere about 2 years ago.<br /><br />It was pretty neat... and looked neat as well... <br /><br />If you strap some plastic barrels on it...may be able to get it to float..<br /><br />(had to tie boat building in somewhere)..lol

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Jeez I can't type one post before you guys are on to the next three subjects! :D <br /><br />Camper?!?!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

On that site that you got the plans for the dug he mentions using wheat flour for filler. I might try that as I'm keeping with the cheap form while I'm just playing with this stuff.. When I get serious about making a show piece i'll do the epoxy and microballoons thing. :) <br /><br />Hows this for redneck... I'd considered using some window screen for tapeing an outside seam for strength. They sell a heavy duty screen for backing for autobody repairs and I figured if it'll stick to that, that it would stick to window screen too and would be pretty hard to tear. Went with cutting fiberglass cloth cause its already tried and true and lighter weight. :)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Wheat flour or WOOD flour?<br /><br />I would only use window screen if I had some laying around my basement :D You went with cutting fiberglass cloth cause you got 3 sq. ft. free with every can of Bondo you bought ;)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Window screen doesn't really have a lot of surface area for the resin to bond to either, and it is colored so it won't wet out transparent. And drywall tape is much easier if you're going to be a cheapskate :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Dave J Z:<br /> I've seen some really cool tear drop campers... only a bed inside.. but the outside back had a hatch that opens up and and theres a stove, sink and fridge... wish I knew where that was at.... they were plans I was looking at somewhere about 2 years ago.<br /><br />It was pretty neat... and looked neat as well... <br /><br />If you strap some plastic barrels on it...may be able to get it to float..<br /><br />(had to tie boat building in somewhere)..lol
Someone on ebay is selling plans exactly like your description... I dont need no stinkin plans. :D <br /><br />gonna build mine much smaller but along the same idea. I mostly need it for carrying extra stuff that wont fit in my car for work but it can also double as a sleeping quarters. Could name it "the doghouse" :D Ya honey i'll go sleep in the doghouse gladly. :D