To Build a Boat (any boat)

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

I'm a lil spaced out tonight sorry I couldnt join the fun... 6 days on the road and i'm gonna make it home tonight. :) goin to see the ebay boat.<br /><br />-edit- Thats a pretty cool lil boat but would take sooooo much work getting it back. I'm not sure I like the way that leg sticks so far out the bottom. They have a name for it but I would have to guess it to be home made... did someone actually put that into production? maybe the earliest of jet ski's :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

being fiberglass and with the compartments... I would guess it was in production... just a guess tho...'67 Best Marine????

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Looks more like something that was produced for a theme park. :) 9 hp would be a lil much for a theme park ride though. Strange one for sure.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wow, I missed a fair bit.....<br /><br />That's a nice pic you take there Mister pansie pants :D <br /><br />What bow is that? and how do you go about hunting a coyote?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oooh oooh oooh, 17 more posts after this one and we beat the cricket post on DSC!!!!!<br /><br />Actually, I think this has been one of the fastest growing threads one here.....<br /><br />what the heck, I reckon we'll get at least a few more pages

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

By the time CPJ gets his kayak started and my resin cures this thread will have it's own category.

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Oh yeah, that's right, resin. I did that test with the polyresin. I can't break it, easily.... A 5lb hammer eventually broke the test piece. I am definitly coating the minimax this way.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

How was that lark??? coating with resin, wait 15 min, coat again, wait 15 minutes, and then put on a resin/hardner mix? <br /><br />If it is... it really worked huh??? <br /><br />That made it pretty strong... 5lb hammer plus the force of you swingin it....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by CalicoKid:<br /> By the time CPJ gets his kayak started and my resin cures this thread will have it's own category.
oh sheesh aint that the truth. hahaha<br /><br />Lark I guess thats the way to go... I bet you end up with a much smoother surface to work with by the time its all over too. a 5lb hammer puts a lot of force on one localized area... and if it takes a good swing to break it.. That method sounds good to me.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

At least Captian stopped the templates.... they way he's goin... his uncle can just use the peices of his yak besides his uncle may get it built quicker then him... and if Captian does get it built.... Uncle can just use the parts when it falls apart in the water.... :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sorry i'm so late but I hate to see a man under paddle power :D <br />
captianyak.JPG
<br /><br />Very convieniant that was leaning against his garage door. :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Of course it was against his garage door ... he had no other use for it..... :D

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol... Cpj is gonna be throwin tomatoes at us shortly :D

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

is that the 25 gallon model.... or just the 10??<br /><br />1/3 hp or 1/2....

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Hey dink... I asked the guy I bought my motor from if he has any others up there. They said lot's and give him a call I have the number if you want it. How much you lookin at spendin for a motor??

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by Dave J Z:<br /> Hey dink... I asked the guy I bought my motor from if he has any others up there. They said lot's and give him a call I have the number if you want it. How much you lookin at spendin for a motor??
I'm trying to keep it fairly low... see what he's asking for motors between 10 and 20 hp. :) Thanks<br />I've been keeping my eye on ebay too.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

077300.jpg
<br /><br />I am on my way again! The old resin I was using was crapola. I did as you suggested Wimper and overcoated with new resin and extra hardener. I even had a batch kick off in the cup! The blue stains you see there is from the old resin that wouldn't cure, it just kept getting darker blue, wierd. I figured a way to get the new resin without breaking my vow to keep costs to one sheet only. I gave my helper a $20 bonus this morning and he was so pleased he went into the hardware store and bought me a can of resin and some extra hardener!<br /><br />Lot's of curing going on out there right now, I might be able to pull the form blocks and flip it tonight?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Oh, that picture is of my unorthodox filler after cleaning off the old goo and before applying the noo goo.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

lol The blue is strange... think its just from it soaking in and possibly the light? or did someone drop some dye into your resin? :D You should be able to flip it now... if you used plenty of hardener, it will have dried hard enough to move around within 30 minutes or so. definatly an hour. Is that unorthadox filler toothpaste? :D or is that the monkey boogers?<br /><br />-edit- Also did you just use resin on the wood without mat or cloth, before the filler? will that filler hold like normal... ohhhh wait a min... is that filler just poly resin mixed with flour and hardener? if it is i'll be curious to see how it works.<br /><br />One more question... I know if you put resin on something to thick and too much hardiner, you run the risk of it cracking.... can you use polyester resin and mix it with sawdust or filler to thicken it like epoxy so you can run a fillet like that? Or will it still have the tendancy to crack?