To Build a Boat (any boat)

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander
Re: To Build a Boat (any boat)

LOL! Sounds good!<br /><br />As long as you're shopping outboards this is the ONE. Maybe we could get a group buy rate?:<br /><br />
motor_25XS.jpg

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Nice, Lark! Where did that motor come from? P.S. what time is it in Brisbane?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

1:10pm, just had lunch.<br /><br />The motor I got from a guy selling it in the local news paper. It's a 1970's something mariner 3.5hp. <br /><br /><br />I like merc. Love the racing foot on it, that would probably get one of these little things airborne!

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lark you've got that looking good... did you have any problems with the heighth of the cross piece where it meets the sides? did you move it forward or back? Ya went with the holes version huh :D <br />Glad to see it progressing... I'm having as much fun searching for the next engine for it now as I did building it. Your going to have to build a taller motor board for that motor I think.<br /><br /><br />Calico, I'll buy 2 on that group buy :D Great photo shop.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Photoshop? That's a REAL outboard!<br /><br /> web page <br /><br />55F in the garage and the resin is still gooey. I used more hardener this time but I'm guessing it will still be sticky tomorrow afternoon.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I would have to agree with dink... taller motor board. It's looking good though Lark. I take it your going to hook up controls and steering???<br /><br />lol dink...

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nope, motorboard is just right. That leg is 15", and the cavitation plate is dead level with the bottom of the hull. I am going to attacth the motorboard to the hull on a slot type setup. Kinda like a jackplate. That way I can raise the motor to get better performance. The motor is air-cooled so I don't need to worry about water pump pickup holes or anything else like that.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thats an awesome outboard . Resin is going to take awhile at that temp. I hate that drying wait time. I usually go in and post a lot then back out to do some more lol. Do you have the insides all sealed now? or just coating the wood? That is coming together pretty fast... Are you going to keep the sharp points on it or shave them?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh yeah, it is getting remote controls.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

very cool.... I have to get the right power head on it and or the setup right then I'll start looking for RC parts

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

That is a good outboard you got there... air cooled.. <br /><br />Hey I got an off the wall question for ya's... Lookin at buying a new circular saw... just because, (you know...dave wants a new one...lol)anyone have a cordless?? Seems to me it would be a pain havin to wait for the battery to charge... Drills I could see.. but a saw?? any comments...

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

seen a few of them over here. Probably good for a few cuts, Those times when to cut two pieces of wood is not practical to get the power cord out etc....

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have an 18v Ryobi and I used it for 98% of my project... I love it and have had it for 5 years.<br /><br />When you use it on 3/4" ply it'll wear the battery down pretty quick but on the 1/4" one battery will last awhile. Most chargers are 30 min charge time now too.<br /><br />If you set the blade right, it'll last awhile on a charge... if your too deep they tend to bind a bit<br /><br />Another good point to the cordless is that they have a very thin kerf blade and less of a mess to clean up<br /><br /><br />I like the ryobi stuff, inexpensive and I've had my kit for 5 years problem free. One original battery left and purchased 2 more. I have the sawzall, circular saw, jigsaw, drill, and flashlight. never had a problem out of any of them.<br /><br />For heavier wood and lotsa cutting, plugin is still the way to go.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

yeah... thats what I was thunkin..... Heck I don't even have a cordless drill... I hate the fact that about the time I'm just getting into the project it craps out on me... God mad at the last one and dropped it in the trash... I figure the cord might be a pain.. but there more powerful and when you hit the button... it will turn.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok i've decided on on the next projects. (could change between now and then) Wife chose the prism built in this design<br />
prism.jpg
<br />Which I'll make a few modifications so her dog can ride with her. :) <br />And I am thinking of a modified dug semi similar to the one on the right in this pic. I'll cover the top But i'll probably make the hole a lil differant. And probably chop the excess off the ends to make it easier to transport. Plans make it 18' long with only 10' of it in the water... seems excessive to me so I'll change it. :) <br />
Picture_002.jpg

boatman1100

Cadet

I would just like to say i have been following this post from the begging and i think you guys are so funny!!!! I have an old tahiti with a merc 1250 and im going to restore it and put up a thread and would like all of you guys to check it out. Also you guys have inspired me to build my own boat after the tahiti. Just really wanted to say thanks for the laughs and watch for my thread.<br />boatman

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Originally posted by boatman1100:<br /> I would just like to say i have been following this post from the begging and i think you guys are so funny!!!! I have an old tahiti with a merc 1250 and im going to restore it and put up a thread and would like all of you guys to check it out. Also you guys have inspired me to build my own boat after the tahiti. Just really wanted to say thanks for the laughs and watch for my thread.<br />boatman
Just start a share project page, link to it in your signature... and join the fun right here :D There's no application/interview to joing the fun here... course me may pick on ya a lil but nothing saying you cant give it back :D I'm looking forward to seeing your projects.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

yep... all you have to do is "try" to build a boat. It doesn't matter if it floats or looks good... it's the effort that counts... isn't it??? :confused: <br /><br />
periwinkle.jpg
<br /><br />Oh yes you MUST post lots a pics..... and have some fun :D <br /><br />Besides..he started calling himself Captian periwinkle... this looks more like the name

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Resin is still gooey, I'm heading out to entertain the neighbor for a while...<br /><br />Hi boatman, looking forward to seeing your projects!