Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Re: Time to get started on the starcraft resto.

OK guys its been a while I know but I had worked furiously on the Starcraft for 6 months everyday well funds started getting tight and I just decided I needed to take a break on it. I don't anticipate her being fully splashed until next spring. I still have at least another $1,000 to drop into her before she is ready.

As far as the fuel system goes yes she did get full makeover, but I bought fuel pump off of ebay. I am just going to order a brand new one from Iboats.

As far as progress goes, I have fixed the steering. Started on the trailer fenders. Not really a whole lot to show at this point. The name was officially mounted along with the hull tags. But I still haven't started on the stern seating area.

And quite honestly I am jealous of Budski's Interior so I am considering ripping mine out and being a copy cat. Hey if he can copy my color scheme I can steal some interior ideas right.

I am also considering scrapping the redone seats in favor of all new seats just a money issue.

StinkinShip

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to say you have done an amazing job so far. I hope my project is half as good as yours when I finally get around to it. I am green with envy.

Stink

dozerII

Admiral

Looks real good on the water Sig, as far as the steering I think I have done that twice, relly it's not that hard to do wrong kinda 50/50.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Nothin' wrong with a little intermission Sig...I take one every week :lol:

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery! You're talking about the jump-seats? If so, your splashwell design seems tailor made for it.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Bump

I was unexpectedly in your neck of the woods over the weekend, didn't have a spare 1/2 day or I'd have made a trip to the Douglas Dam & tried to drive by the SigSaur boatyard.

GA just posted this down your way too:
22 ft. Islander or Chieftain V5 hull in TN.. Sounds like an OMC I/O set-up with a Ford 4 banger that needs work. $1900 Aluminum 22 ft Starcraft cabin fishing boat and trailer

I couldn't remember the specs of what you might be looking for. But that ^^^ doesn't look bad:
00f0f_1KHP99Ay0N8_600x450.jpg

SigSaurP229

Commander

Allright everyone I am officially back. Intermission has been long enough progress is going to be slow as funds are really tight but I have been trying to get everything ready for the winter.

I caught up on all the honey do list the admiral made for me while I was working on the boat for 8 hours a day, then working 8 hours a day, then sleeping for a few.

So

Yes the house has been fully pressure washed, the shutters have been repainted the closet, has been disassembled with the new organization shelving installed, fall and spring clean up were both completed, the camper has been winterized, new brakes are done on the admirals car, my dad's basement ceiling has been sheetrocked, her new big screen tv has been purchased, the house has been treated for bugs, I have completed my cpr certification for work, finished my first semester of college (3.75 gpa) at 30years old, ohh and finally just for good measure yes indeed I did throw in the kitchen sink or at least repair the leaky drain.

JB if you are ever down this way again pm me and I will give you my cell phone number.

I have also reorganized the shop so that the pontoon, both motorcyles, my lawn mower, my utitlity trailer, the Starcraft, and entire garage are in one bay with the door closed.

I am also lightly shopping for a newer repower for the Silver Lining she runs ok but I need a new fuel pump, stator, two power packs and a wiring harness.

When I put her out for her little dip I basically spliced it all together soldered heat shrinked and called it a day, however I don't want to leave it that way and it seems as if she may be getting intermitten spark issues.

I am basically looking at another $500 in engine parts plus the time effort and energy to redo the ignition system and wiring harness. Or I can repower for around $2000 get a motor in better shape and resell mine for around $650-$700

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on getting through the first semester, Sig. :thumb: Now get back to work and finish her. :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Carp ^^^ someone's had a busy fall.......

PM your way. I'll be down that way at least once spring or summer 2014. Although I still have family in Marysville, my grandmother passed this past January, so trips will be less frequent. I also have a long time share weekend @Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge I need to use soon.

Congrats on the 3.75GPA, nice work.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother JB, grandparents mean the world to us, as a matter of fact the biggest reason I take such care of the toon, is my grandfather was the original owner.

I have an ugly as crap recliner in my living room from him, and its gonna stay there, and a .25 acp handgun that was his.

WOW JB You do have a timeshare here in Gatlinburg, its at the Hangar anytime.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Duracraft on it's way, I'll be down in March, you know, when your done w/ restoring it, to collect her. Thanks, your aces! :watermelon:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey Sig welcome back to the dry dock. Sure is awesome to have a Starcraft restorer who makes the Dean's list!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Thanks Watermann I appreciate it I've been gone for way to long. I am trying to catch up one everybody's restos and threads they are all looking great.

dozerII

Admiral

Welcome back Sig, you have been a very busy man. It must have taken some fancy packing in the to get everything in the shop.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Glen it sure did I had to go buy dollies to put the toon on as I had to turn it sideways and push it into the back corner.

Anyways

I broke out the grinder for the first time in a while I cleaned up the seat brackets, and prepared myself to make the jump seats on the back. Not a whole lot to show.

Not to toot my own horn ( actually yes I am) I haven't really looked at the Starcraft for 90 days but I pulled her back out today and put her back in the repair bay. I looked her over really well and man was I happy I really like her. I didn't even notice alot of the stuff I remembered when I put her away.

When I put her up I was frustrated because I felt that my floors were kind of springy from going with 5/8" instead of 3/4" plywood. Funny today I couldn't feel anything but ROCK solid.

I remember little dabs of 5200 EVERYWHERE today I saw a few that peeled right off with a plastic putty knife.

I remember thinking of how much crap I had left on the trailer to do now I am thinking geez I finish painting and mounting the fenders and mount the wheel jack and I am done with the trailer.

I also noticed some finer details that need to be done.

I need to align the windshield, I need to clean the inner hull walls and carpet them.

I need to tackle the front boards under the bow.

I really need to mount the bow rails better, and I need to mount the antenna properly.

At the moment it is a good looking boat, it will take some finer details and it will be a great looking boat.

Anyways the long of the short of it, it was a very good idea to step away from it for a few months.

I have some serious engine work to do, she wouldn't plane because she is failing the spark test on the starboard cylinders again and I noticed a small leak in the fuel pump.

Shortcut confession:

I shouldn't have done it and I know it, but I rushed the motor work mice had chewed through the wires on the timer base, right where it plugs into the powerpack. (I was told the boat was put in the field initially because the power pack went bad). I cut the wires cleaned them up soldered them together and heat shrinked them. I replaced the powerpack and just spliced it in I shouldn't have I think something in the wiring is probably dry rotted and shorting and blowing powerpacks.

I have made the decision to look for a complete engine side wiring harness on ebay, I am going to replace the timer base $$$$$$ both Power Packs (more $$$) and run with it from there. I rebuilt the fuel pump but honestly I am not going to mess with it I am going to buy a brand new OEM. Doesn't do me any good to have a pretty boat and a crappy motor.

All things together I am looking around another $700 going into this motor.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Refresh my memory, what motor is this? I've not seen very many NEW engine side wiring harness on evilbay, but there are a few online sources.....

Sometimes taking a break (forced/family/work/life induced) and coming back to a project is what ya need to push thru to finish.

Classes again this spring?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Hey Sig, are the boards under the bow the original made of mahogany like the ones in my Chief? Quite the to do list you have there. Those older Johnnyrude motors have pretty good parts support still so you should be good.

SigSaurP229

Commander

Hey Sig, are the boards under the bow the original made of mahogany like the ones in my Chief? Quite the to do list you have there. Those older Johnnyrude motors have pretty good parts support still so you should be good.

Honestly I can't tell if they are Mahogany, they are to rotten (the last bit of rot on the boat), and I just forgot to tear them out when I was installing the bow supports thats what I get for rushing.

The great thing about the older Jhonnyrudes is that parts are all over Ebay and fairly cheap. Take for instance the two brand new in box power packs I am trying to score for $70 shipped for both.

SigSaurP229

Commander

HUGE score today two brand new powerpacks for $65 shipped

jbcurt00

Staff member

That's a good deal ^^^ outstanding